TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

Default Re: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    They stated the money is mainly coming from donations already made to the Coaches Continuity Fund ($200k of Lunsfords own btw), and Summers getting a real job was basically a $300k windfall to the budget. No harm no foul.
    Cook's contract ran out too.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Cook's contract ran out too.
    Yeah didn't mention it since that's something they knew was coming vs having to plan on the possibility of paying Summers' final year.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD73 View Post
    I am all for keeping Lunsford and staff but I think a salary increase and contract extension after one full season is premature. I would have preferred a review and increase in incentives now, but waited for the salary increase and contract extension until the end of next season. Not saying Chad won’t succeed, but how many of you guys got a significant salary increase and increased incentives after one good year on the job? We may have painted ourselves into another corner.
    It's different but getting a 3%-5% is pretty standard for jobs these days during annual reviews. The only way to get something bigger is a promotion or a leaving for a new company.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

4. Default Re: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

My point about painting ourselves into a corner concerns increasing salary and contract term now resulting in a more expensive buyout. Do I think we will ever have to fire Lunsford and eat a bigger buyout? NO, but none of us know this with with certainty after one full season plus a mediocre half season as interim. Naming Chad the new HC after the end of the 2017 would have looked better than doing so before the season ending loss. Good financial stewardship of the program matters and decisions should not be made hastily when the long term result could prove more costly. I hope Chad is here for 10 years and wins 10 to 12 games a season, but would not bet on hope.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD73 View Post
    My point about painting ourselves into a corner concerns increasing salary and contract term now resulting in a more expensive buyout. Do I think we will ever have to fire Lunsford and eat a bigger buyout? NO, but none of us know this with with certainty after one full season plus a mediocre half season as interim. Naming Chad the new HC after the end of the 2017 would have looked better than doing so before the season ending loss. Good financial stewardship of the program matters and decisions should not be made hastily when the long term result could prove more costly. I hope Chad is here for 10 years and wins 10 to 12 games a season, but would not bet on hope.
    Nothing about this was hasty or built on hope.

Extremely important was boosting assistants. From a holistic standpoint, the staff is what made this team what they are, not just Lunsford. We don't want someone to snatch an assistant just because we're being cheap. And if we do have to replace someone, then we can attract quality assistants if we show evidence of good pay.

We are STILL not paying as much as other schools in the conference for HC, for what it's worth.

And a one year extension is no different than what was happening with Fritz if he hit 7 wins. We don't know the details of what monetary differences there are at least until we see the details....so if anything it's hasty to judge right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Yep. Just seventeen years ago, UGA was paying Richt something like 300K-400K. We're talking about Monopoly money these days.

Here's something that cheers me up: GS hired Lunsford because he was the last man left standing on that staff, and he did a good job as an interim coach. However, he's never been a coordinator on either side of the ball, so he can't label himself as "innovative" in that way.

He made good OC and DC hires here, but the DeBesse hire was a no-brainer (as everyone thinks of us as "Option U") . After a two-season stretch in which UNM fired DeBesse, Tulane fired Ruse, and PJ moved on, I don't think there will be too many G5 teams (and no P5 teams) willing to throw money at an option coach. And without that, Lunsford doesn't yet have a clear identity. He's "merely" a charismatic leader of young men who's hired some good assistants and gotten his guys to play hard.

I may be fooling myself, but . . . I think we'll be ok for a few years unless he wins at the rate Erk and PJ won in Statesboro.
    GREAT POST!
    I doubt Lunsford will go any where for 3 years and thats if he can prove that he can be consistent. As far as pay, GSU does need to keep up, but at the same time we pay what we can. How do we give 800,000 to a G5 HC at GSU and raise the coaching staffs pay until we beat P5 teams and get TV money& fill our stadium again??????
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by eaglefan200 View Post
    Nice reply, guess we both appreciate Georgia Southern football. Can we at least agree to that fact without adjectives that we are both Eagle fans and appreciate the progress we've made in 2018 and 2019 will be a difficult schedule but will be successful?
    I have to ask why EF200 was baned?????

I know he is outspoken in some areas & should stay on TalonTalk to voice some of his opinions. Can anyone show me the Posts that got him band. I will except profanity or inferences that go overboard yet an opinion? Please post the posts EF200 made below that got him thrown off the board or PM TALON with your opinion.

THANKS

TALON
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    I have to ask why EF200 was baned?????

I know he is outspoken in some areas & should stay on TalonTalk to voice some of his opinions. Can anyone show me the Posts that got him band. I will except profanity or inferences that go overboard yet an opinion? Please post the posts EF200 made below that got him thrown off the board or PM TALON with your opinion.

THANKS

TALON
    I'll try to hunt it down, if it's even still out there, but he called someone "a piece of *&%t".... that's gonna get you a ban hammer everytime.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Quote Originally Posted by GaSou93 View Post
    I'll try to hunt it down, if it's even still out there, but he called someone "a piece of *&%t".... that's gonna get you a ban hammer everytime.
    especially after you have already been given a temp ban and put on double secret probation.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

So . . . was there ever any detailed information disclosed about the new contract(s)?
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose