TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

Default Re: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Yeah.

It’s not like many of us ever will have to make the decision whether or not to work for a couple million per year.

But I doubt that decision will need to be made. There’s simply no way any college football coach is worth so much money.

That market is way overblown these days. It will correct itself
    Yet coaches are signing contracts for that amount every year. He wins a lot of games, it'll happen. Folks want to buy a winner.

This market has been building for over 20 years, it ain't correcting any time soon. As long as programs place a high premium on wins then you're going to see this continue.

The difference is, there are a lot of coaches....but there aren't a lot that can win a lot of games. They are in high demand. Guys like BVG stick around cause they can do a job and know lots of people....but he'll never sign a contract like Brown or Satterfield just signed, cause he's not as good as they are. ROI for P5 teams on a football coach that wins a lot is pretty high, so they are willing to pay the price.

In 96 it was unheard of for a coach to get $1 million a year. Saban gets a lot more than that.

If the CFP crashes and burns or the NCAA finally gets balls and cracks down on programs...then maybe you'll be right. But right now too many people are making money hand over fist for anything like that to take place.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Yet coaches are signing contracts for that amount every year. He wins a lot of games, it'll happen. Folks want to buy a winner.

This market has been building for over 20 years, it ain't correcting any time soon. As long as programs place a high premium on wins then you're going to see this continue.
    It's a pretty interesting dynamic. Math would suggest (merely suggest) that half the teams will have a below-average record, but football teams need to win. So where do you look if your P5 team is performing below-average? Bring in an assistant coach from another P5? Some will, but most will go with a proven head coach.

So this trend will continue as long as football is a big revenue sport for some P5s. G5 head coaches will almost always depart for bottom-half P5s after a few years of excellent records, and it is all totally predictable and more or less unstoppable. So the morale of the story for us, I guess, is enjoy CL for maybe two more years and hope for really good records and then a great successor.

Incidentally, if we had been wise enough to hire Dell McGee instead of TS, and if Dell had done well, he would be departing for a position paying over a million either last year or this. Or maybe he would have had two great years and we now we would have Lunsford as head coach anyway. Not likely, I guess, but possible.

3. Default Re: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    It's a pretty interesting dynamic. Math would suggest (merely suggest) that half the teams will have a below-average record, but football teams need to win. So where do you look if your P5 team is performing below-average? Bring in an assistant coach from another P5? Some will, but most will go with a proven head coach.

So this trend will continue as long as football is a big revenue sport for some P5s. G5 head coaches will almost always depart for bottom-half P5s after a few years of excellent records, and it is all totally predictable and more or less unstoppable. So the morale of the story for us, I guess, is enjoy CL for maybe two more years and hope for really good records and then a great successor.

Incidentally, if we had been wise enough to hire Dell McGee instead of TS, and if Dell had done well, he would be departing for a position paying over a million either last year or this. Or maybe he would have had two great years and we now we would have Lunsford as head coach anyway. Not likely, I guess, but possible.
    I’m not saying that some really sweet contracts won’t be awarded by rich P5s.....

But I do think the number of them is going to fall precipitously.

The NCAA is doing a poor job of ever enforcing any kinds of rules. People hate that crap. Attendance (even at the big schools) is falling rapidly. It’s possible that they could fix the playoffs and drive new interest, but it’s unlikely. The NCAA’s refusal to do a good job of managing the sport reminds me so much of what Brian France has done to NASCAR. People will only put up with so much unethical nonsense.

All it will take will be a recession (it is definitely coming-soon.) And we will see the number of multi million dollar contracts fall to a handful per year.

This is the dot com market for football coaching. None of them are worth several million per year, and they won’t be seeing those contracts much longer. Fans, donors, and administrators will absolutely not continue to throw mad cash at them when things get tight.

People always want to project the recent past as if it will continue forever. This is very clearly a bubble.

Y’all are missing something pretty big.

Vince Dooley made $15k his first year as head coach. He made 40k when he won a NC.

How do y’all think he has never had to work another job?

When I was at GS, Erk did radio and TV ads, he sat on the boards of banks, car dealserships and such. He didn’t do those things for charity.

I don’t think any of that has changed. A town like Statesboro and a region like ours can take real good care of a coach who is successful.

Look at people like Dooley and Erk. They weren’t super-genius Buffett level investors, they had plenty of sources of income far beyond their salary.

Plus, there are actually some people in the world who enjoy what they do and where they are. Life ain’t all about $$$$.

I could make at least 3x as much as I do, but I’d have to live in a part of the world I dislike. Some people make that choice, but it’s not for me. Chad could have a similar decision one day. And he may choose differently from what you’d think. People don’t always go for the $$$$

No you're right in a way, it's not always about the money but some if not most people would sacrifice a year or two if it meant they could help provide a comfortable life for their family even if that jobs doesn't work out.

I’m not saying that some really sweet contracts won’t be awarded by rich P5s.....

The NCAA is doing a poor job of ever enforcing any kinds of rules. People hate that crap. Attendance (even at the big schools) is falling rapidly. It’s possible that they could fix the playoffs and drive new interest, but it’s unlilely.

All it will take will be a recession (it is definitely coming-soon.) And we will see the number of multi million dollar contracts fall to a handful per year.

This is the dot com market for football coaching. None of them are worth several million per year, and they won’t be seeing those contracts much longer. Fans, donors, and administrators will absolutely not continue to throw mad cash at them when things get tight.

People always want to project the recent past as if it will continue forever. This is very clearly a bubble.
    These coaching contracts survived, and grew, during one of the worst economic periods we've had since the Great Depression.

Yes attendance is down, but that's not where the money is made. In a lot of cases programs are willingly cutting their max attendance to add amenities in the stadium that cost people more to get access to....thereby breaking even or coming out net positive.

The CFP, television, and marketing is making stupid amounts of money for the P5.

The economy goes in cycles that average, what, 7-8 years or so? Even if you say it's 10, the college coaching market has survived at minimum 2 of those cycles and is not slowing up.

You can sit and hope and pray that it crashes so we can keep Lunsford (or insert great head coach name here) because he won't make great money elsewhere, but the reality shows differently. The upper tier of programs will always pay a premium for a guy that has shown the ability to win, even if it's a gamble. Look at Satt and Brown....the cultures they built at App and Troy may not work elsewhere and be unique to the location they came from, but the chance at something similar at another program will make them open the checkbook. That's all it takes.

The only way what you're thinking will happen is if college footbal stops caring about who wins and loses.

Y’all are missing something pretty big.

Vince Dooley made $15k his first year as head coach. He made 40k when he won a NC.

How do y’all think he has never had to work another job?

When I was at GS, Erk did radio and TV ads, he sat on the boards of banks, car dealserships and such. He didn’t do those things for charity.

I don’t think any of that has changed. A town like Statesboro and a region like ours can take real good care of a coach who is successful.

Look at people like Dooley and Erk. They weren’t super-genius Buffett level investors, they had plenty of sources of income far beyond their salary.

Plus, there are actually some people in the world who enjoy what they do and where they are. Life ain’t all about $$$$.

I could make at least 3x as much as I do, but I’d have to live in a part of the world I dislike. Some people make that choice, but it’s not for me. Chad could have a similar decision one day. And he may choose differently from what you’d think. People don’t always go for the $$$$
    The amounts you are quoting were eons ago. I remember a story Neuheisel told on the radio: when Dick Vermeil left for the Eagles, they offered him a $100K a year contract. UCLA came back to him and said, we can offer you a raise to $30K but that's breaking the bank. Guess which one he chose.? Dooley didn't work for $15K because he wanted to. He did it because that was all they offered. Were he to be coaching today, he would be getting multi-million dollar offers. And he would take them too, just like everyone else.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

The NCAA is doing a poor job of ever enforcing any kinds of rules. People hate that crap. Attendance (even at the big schools) is falling rapidly. It’s possible that they could fix the playoffs and drive new interest, but it’s unlikely. The NCAA’s refusal to do a good job of managing the sport reminds me so much of what Brian France has done to NASCAR. People will only put up with so much unethical nonsense.

Last I checked TV contracts were going up, up, and up. The P5's have budgets over $100M and many get $20M+ a year alone just for the ACC/SEC/BG1 etc networks. You never answered my previous question. No big football contracts were given out on 2000 in the dot com bust era? Funny isn't that when PJ left us for like $1M a year? No P5's signed any mega contracts in 2008-09?

We are in year 4 of the CFP era and we just received $1.72M from revenue sharing from the playoffs. The G5's as a whole got like $70M. March Madness nets the NCAA about $500M. That even after paying out all 350ish schools a piece of the pie.
    Last edited by 1peatfor7; 15th January 2019 at 08:48 AM.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Funny how things change in a years time. This time last year they were declaring a “wear red day”. Still glad CCL voices his opinion over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Soweagle View Post
    Funny how things change in a years time. This time last year they were declaring a “wear red day”. Still glad CCL voices his opinion over that.
    lol. I had forgotten about that.