TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

1. Default So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

After the bowl game I heard all kind of talk of throwing some more money to our coaches. Did that happen?

Default Re: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebacker View Post
    After the bowl game I heard all kind of talk of throwing some more money to our coaches. Did that happen?
    No.

Same ole contracts.

There were some bonus clauses that kicked in for at least some of the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    No.

Same ole contracts.
    Have they been signed? Going off what we did for Fritz, I imagine an extension will be in the works in Oct after a 6th or 7th win.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

5. Default Re: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

We need to not jack around.

These guys are good and we need continuity.

I'm hearing one of the offensive position coaches is leaving/has left.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    We need to not jack around.

These guys are good and we need continuity.
    Giving them a small raise is not going to stop them from leaving when a P5 comes calling. The amount of money that the P5's offered our last two doubled and tripled what they were making here.

You don't double a coach's salary after ONE (albeit very good) year. Anything short of that won't keep them here.

What CCL does works here because it's GS and because he's lived it for 9 years. It IS him, it's not a schtick. It is the heart and soul of every player and fan. At a P5, there is less of that to draw from. Because it's only one year, and because he's not held any higher positions or been at any bigger schools, I believe we have to have a couple years like this past year before anyone comes calling for him. At that time, maybe we have enough saved up to make a comparable counter offer.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

8. Default Re: So did we rework Lunsford and the assistants contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Giving them a small raise is not going to stop them from leaving when a P5 comes calling. The amount of money that the P5's offered our last two doubled and tripled what they were making here.

You don't double a coach's salary after ONE (albeit very good) year. Anything short of that won't keep them here.
    Tulane, Army, and Navy are not P5 schools. We need to be paying a competitive enough salary that our coaches will stay unless a P5 school comes calling. There is no reason why our coaches should get poached by a fellow G5 program.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Tulane, Army, and Navy are not P5 schools. We need to be paying a competitive enough salary that our coaches will stay unless a P5 school comes calling. There is no reason why our coaches should get poached by a fellow G5 program.
    I misspoke on the P5 part because that is who we are more than likely going to get poached from. BUT, there's $1.2 million and $900K (if I remember right) reasons they got poached. We are also paying CCL about $200K more than we were paying Monken or Fritz. That will help. My point being, we are paying more now than we have ever before in an effort to keep them. We can't afford to pay over a million (YET), and until we can we are going to get poached just like every successful G5 program will. It's not financially sustainable to give a coach a raise after every good season when we expect every season to be the same. You pay bonuses, which we did, and that's it. When an offer comes, you do you best to counter it. That's about all you can hope for.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

This is kind of why I thought we should have started CL a little lower on his initial contract, because we would have had room to give him a decent raise for a couple of successive years if he had good success. For example, if we'd started him out at Summers' salary of $450,000 (which I can't imagine would've been a deal breaker as far as him taking the job), we could be throwing him a 20%+ raise right now, which would seem like a substantial good faith gesture after year 1. And we could do it again next year if warranted. After which he'd be at the same salary he's at today, but with the benefit to us of having "stepped up" fairly aggressively each year (plus we'd have saved around $250,000 to help fund successive raises for him or assistants). Instead, we kind of shot our wad up front to an extent and when it does come time to make a statement with a well-deserved pat on the back (and in the wallet) it will have to be more substantial.

None of that would matter relative to some giant offer from another school, but as it is, we're pretty much only able to say "thanks a lot for a good year, here's a certificate for a Christmas ham" for the moment unless we're planning on digging pretty deep or really getting aggressive.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose