TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSUvsGSU after we rebuild

1. Default Re: NDSUvsGSU after we rebuild

Access Bowl participants and their FCS opponents:

2014: Boise State (Fiesta Bowl) -- No FCS opponent
    2015: Houston (Peach Bowl) -- FCS: Tennessee Tech (4-7)
    2016: Western Michigan (Cotton Bowl) -- FCS: North Carolina Central (9-3)
    2017: UCF (Peach Bowl) -- FCS: Austin Peay (8-4) -- Originally scheduled: Maine (4-6)
    2018: UCF (Sugar Bowl) -- FCS: South Carolina State (5-6)

Nobody cares who your FCS game is.

Default Re: NDSUvsGSU after we rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Almost 2000 views and most of you are not TT posters and yet you have nothing to say?

I'm asking what you think. Stand up whaither you agree with me or not!
    The bottom line is that - like in the old days when mid-major teams used to avoid scheduling US - we now have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing a top 5 FCS team for our "cupcake" game. We win a hard fought game against FCS juggernaut NDSU, and the W counts pretty much the same as a win over Savannah State (did in the past). The win doesn't do us anything positive except keep an FCS loss off of our record. We lose - a very real possibility - and it's a big black mark on our record.

Can we beat them? Yes
    Should we beat them? Yes
    Would it be nice from a "grudge match" perspective to wax their butts? Yes
    Should we be "afraid of them"? No
    Does it make sense for us to schedule them? Absolutely not
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

I said it over and over, NDSU to the SB. It would immediately give the SB more positive recognition and oh my, some great football games.(I know it will never happen) but boy I can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I said it over and over, NDSU to the SB. It would immediately give the SB more positive recognition and oh my, some great football games.(I know it will never happen) but boy I can dream.
    I would love that I just think they are to far away for the SB with travel expenses for them and the east. Yet they could make that up with 2 P5 games. How much does GSU get for playing SB G5 teams?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    The bottom line is that - like in the old days when mid-major teams used to avoid scheduling US - we now have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing a top 5 FCS team for our "cupcake" game. We win a hard fought game against FCS juggernaut NDSU, and the W counts pretty much the same as a win over Savannah State (did in the past). The win doesn't do us anything positive except keep an FCS loss off of our record. We lose - a very real possibility - and it's a big black mark on our record.

Can we beat them? Yes
    Should we beat them? Yes
    Would it be nice from a "grudge match" perspective to wax their butts? Yes
    Should we be "afraid of them"? No
    Does it make sense for us to schedule them? Absolutely not
    Your opening statement rings home & it is a chance playing NDSU still your first 4 of 5 tend to negate #5

1.Can we beat them? Yes
    2.Should we beat them? Yes
    3.Would it be nice from a "grudge match" perspective to wax their butts? Yes
    4.Should we be "afraid of them"? No

*5. Does it make sense for us to schedule them? Absolutely not

Your opening statement rings home & it is a chance playing NDSU still your first 4 of 5 tend to negate #5

1.Can we beat them? Yes
    2.Should we beat them? Yes
    3.Would it be nice from a "grudge match" perspective to wax their butts? Yes
    4.Should we be "afraid of them"? No

*5. Does it make sense for us to schedule them? Absolutely not
    If they were an FBS OOC opponent, that would make sense, but you get 1 FCS opponent to schedule per year. You do your best to schedule a sure W for that game.

Think of it like this: would you accept an even-chance bet that paid you $10 if you won, but cost you $100 if you lost? Of course not. You’d require the chance of winning to be over 90% for such a payout proposition. Same concept.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    If they were an FBS OOC opponent, that would make sense, but you get 1 FCS opponent to schedule per year. You do your best to schedule a sure W for that game.

Think of it like this: would you accept an even-chance bet that paid you $10 if you won, but cost you $100 if you lost? Of course not. You’d require the chance of winning to be over 90% for such a payout proposition. Same concept.
    I dont know how GSU or NDSU will be ranked 3 years down the road. As I said earlier If GSU is in the top 10 , or better & NDSU continues to be the top ranked team in FCS I think we would gain a higher ranking when we won then playing a weak FCS team that is not ranked for just the purpose of a win. IMO a win against a top ranked FCS NDSU would actually move GSU up in the rankings while a win against a poor FCS gives us a win but moves us no where. Even a loss against a top ranked NDSU, who this year has a power ranking better than 80%+ of G5 teams & has, would not move us down much as long as GSU is not 6-6 or 7-6. If we have that type of win-loss record then maybe we don.t deserve a bowl bid anyway. If our HC & staff stay and we progress as much as we did this year then we should be fine against "anyone."

Thank you for responding GATAlack. I do understand your concerns, & we will just agree to disagree.

I dont know how GSU or NDSU will be ranked 3 years down the road. As I said earlier If GSU is in the top 10 , or better & NDSU continues to be the top ranked team in FCS I think we would gain a higher ranking when we won then playing a weak FCS team that is not ranked for just the purpose of a win. IMO a win against a top ranked FCS NDSU would actually move GSU up in the rankings while a win against a poor FCS gives us a win but moves us no where. Even a loss against a top ranked NDSU, who this year has a power ranking better than 80%+ of G5 teams & has, would not move us down much as long as GSU is not 6-6 or 7-6. If we have that type of win-loss record then maybe we don.t deserve a bowl bid anyway. If our HC & staff stay and we progress as much as we did this year then we should be fine against "anyone."

Thank you for responding GATAlack. I do understand your concerns, & we will just agree to disagree.
    Talon, I'm really not trying to be an a$$ when I say, but you are just flat wrong. There is no nice way to say it, that we haven't already said 5 times. If we are 10-2 with a win against NDSU, we will not be ranked any higher than if we are 10-2 with a win against SC State. NO ONE cares about FCS wins and who they are against. No poll voter is going to care. No bowl committee is going to care. A computer ranking MAY have us a thousandth of a percent higher. But as we have been saying over and over, the risk is not worth the reward. There is NO benefit to playing NDSU because no one cares about an FCS win. Every team everywhere does it every year. Why take a risk when there is literally nothing to gain from it? And I love your passion, but there is absolutely no chance in hell that we are "in the top 10 or better" in the next three years. I love this program, but it's jut not going to happen.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Talon, I'm really not trying to be an a$$ when I say, but you are just flat wrong. There is no nice way to say it, that we haven't already said 5 times. If we are 10-2 with a win against NDSU, we will not be ranked any higher than if we are 10-2 with a win against SC State. NO ONE cares about FCS wins and who they are against. No poll voter is going to care. No bowl committee is going to care. A computer ranking MAY have us a thousandth of a percent higher. But as we have been saying over and over, the risk is not worth the reward. There is NO benefit to playing NDSU because no one cares about an FCS win. Every team everywhere does it every year. Why take a risk when there is literally nothing to gain from it? And I love your passion, but there is absolutely no chance in hell that we are "in the top 10 or better" in the next three years. I love this program, but it's jut not going to happen.
    It's OK. We differ in opinion. I believe the risk is less than you think & GSU would gain more than GSU would Loss. As I said before we can just agree to disagree. (FAIR?)

It's OK. We differ in opinion. I believe the risk is less than you think & GSU would gain more than GSU would Loss. As I said before we can just agree to disagree. (FAIR?)
    Except it's not an opinion, it's a fact. A win over NDSU is worth nothing more than a win over ANY other FCS school. That's not an opinion at all.

Would you want to play Valdosta State? They are the top D2 school in the land. How about we play at VSU? Let's do a home and home with them. You are arguing for basically the exact same thing. The only difference is we can''t count a game with a D2 school towards our win total... but who cares right? Because we'd be able to say we beat the best D2 program in the land.

Look... if we play an FCS program, it matters not who it is. We can beat SCSU, Citadel, Maine, JMU, NDSU, EWU, Chattanooga, Samford, Furman, Jacksonville... they all count exactly he same at the end of the day. Now, would you want GS to play a game at Furman, Chattanooga, Jacksonville, or SCSU? I'm guessing your answer is no... unless you still don't get it.

Look at it this way... what did Alabama gain by beating Georgia Southern? Nothing more than a W in the win/loss column. That's it... nothing more, nothing less.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.