TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any baseball updates?

Default Any baseball updates?

Just over a month away, any of you locals or students been to any practices? For the first time in a while I have no idea what to expect this season. Pitching has been the strength the last few season while offense, timely hits and to many strikeouts as hurt us. Any juco guys coming in? Looking forward to heading over to Auburn next month.
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Default Re: Any baseball updates?

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    Just over a month away, any of you locals or students been to any practices? For the first time in a while I have no idea what to expect this season. Pitching has been the strength the last few season while offense, timely hits and to many strikeouts as hurt us. Any juco guys coming in? Looking forward to heading over to Auburn next month.
    Have not heard anything. IMO, we will have enough pitching to keep us in games. The question is will this team get to where we have 5-6 kids that can hit a solid .300 or better? You look at all the teams that make the NCAA's and do well, up and down their lineup they have 4 or more kids that are hitting .300 or better. We still don't have what I would call 2-3 kids with "consistent" power(every at bat an honest threat to go long). So we need a bunch of .300 hitters. I've known these kids since they were freshmen, love them, they are great kids and good ball players but they have to raise their game especially at the plate(batting averages) if we are to do really good things. Having a lineup of 225-280 hitters vs a lineup of 6 .300 hitters wont sit well.

I'm not optimistic, but I'll sit back and hope to be proven wrong.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm not optimistic, but I'll sit back and hope to be proven wrong.
    Like I said, 6-7 of our kids have to step up and hit +300, if not another year of scratching and clawing for every win. Can they do it?, yes, I think the talent is there. Will it happen?, I don't know but I'll be there pulling for them. Oh, bye the way, ALL our kids know it, they know their averages have to come up.(this fall I spoke to 5-6 of them about this).

Same as every other Rodney Hennon coached team: Streaky has hell

We’ll start off hot and beat some good teams. Then we’ll get into a mid season slump and limp into the conference tournament a 3 or 4 seed.

Not to be a downer but we’ve seen this story before

It's a "crap shoot". The baseball Power 5's get all the "sure things"(just like in football and basketball). Us G5's get the best we can find and hope that they are 3 and 4 stars(or turn out to be). Again, if you got a lineup with 6 .300 hitters there wont be many long "slumps".

Quote Originally Posted by SigEp614 View Post
    Same as every other Rodney Hennon coached team: Streaky has hell

We’ll start off hot and beat some good teams. Then we’ll get into a mid season slump and limp into the conference tournament a 3 or 4 seed.

Not to be a downer but we’ve seen this story before
    Checks out.

We will play ourselves out of an at large by late March like usual. Win a couple games in the SB tourney as a 4 seed, and proclaim our coaching staff is working wonders.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    We will play ourselves out of an at large by late March like usual. Win a couple games in the SB tourney as a 4 seed, and proclaim our coaching staff is working wonders.
    or we could go 17-39 and call ourselves Appy.

[QUOTE=garns 4;949825]or we could go 17-39 and call ourselves Appy.[/That's a low bar.