TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ga Tech players

Default Re: Ga Tech players

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    +1, Our battle now is which 3 star can we get over all the other G5 programs in the south. IMO, we really don't compete with P5's, we can toss out an offer but.......
    Tech had its pick of certain offensive players that otherwise would have been playing G5 ball.

Yates is a very good example. Despite what Collins has said publicly, there's no chance he offers Yates at QB next year.

If he wanted to stay at QB, Yates would have been choosing between us and, say, MTSU.

Similarly, I bet Kennesaw wishes we'd run a passing offense. They had a strong verbal from Tomlin before we decided that we wanted him.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    Say what you want but the recruiting trail shows that we're targeting the same players as other Sun Belt schools and very few targeted by Tech.
    Where are you getting this "inside information"? 247?

If so, consider the source.

Along similar lines, I'm pleased as punch that Tulane is changing offensive schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    We are still running a unique offense. [ . . . ] If you haven't watched any DeBesse clinic video, you should. It's pretty eye opening.
    QFT

I'm not sure what some folks are seeing from the stands, but we're running an extraordinarily complicated set of option plays off an IZ read base.

That means that we can promise RBs substantial rotational touches similar to how Air Raid teams recruit WRs.

And while the zone read and play-action basis of the system means that we'll sign our share of long-legged "dual threat" QBs who can throw over the line, there's no reason to think we won't also pursue veer-style option QBs. It's no coincidence that the most successful Fritz/DeBesse teams have featured a "flexbone QB" (Sincere and Jordan under DeBesse, Ellison and Werts at GS).

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveEAGLE24 View Post
    I guess I was referring to overall effectiveness. Other top tier Belt schools get their yardage on slant routes and swing passes and we get the same yardage just a different way. They will have a few deep passes and we will have some longer runs. Unlike under a true option scheme, our offense now doesn't have the 'talent-negating, TOP effect. We, like App, Troy, UL, and A-State basically out recruit other peer schools. We win the games we are supposed too but when we are clearly outmatched against a P5 it shows, at least on offense.

Point being, we don't have to have a specific type of player for certain positions on offense like a PJ or Monken style offense, so we basically recruit the same type athlete as other Belt schools now and thanks to our winning tradition we win many of those recruiting battles. IMO it's better this way because there's no shortage of athletes in our area and we don't necessarily have to have the same attitude towards recruiting as we did in the past. The way coaching turnovers go at this level we can't expect to always have a home rune coach like Russell, PJ, Monken, Fritz or even Lunsford. Idk maybe we can...but not having an extremely unique offense like flex bone will help when those situations inevitably occur. I'm babbling on at this point but no I don't see Tech's coaching change having a major impact on our future recruiting, I could be wrong.
    Well, judging from 247 it doesn't look like we're after typical G5 offensive linemen. We came into the Sun Belt in 2014 with flexbone linemen and ran the zone-blocking scheme well so maybe, just maybe, we're going after a lot of the same guys we'd go after for the flex?

As for the comment about not competing with P5 teams, do you realize that we had fewer yards per play of offense against Navy in Jeff Monken's second game here than we had against Clemson's veritable NFL defensive line? Both of those games were early in the first year of a coaching staff. Not to mention putting up 900+ yards of offense on two ACC bowl teams and going to OT with a UGA team that won 10 games. Other than flexbone homerism, I'm not seeing a reason to think this scheme can't compete with P5 teams as well.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

5. Default Re: Ga Tech players

Putting down the TO is the thing to do these days. Everyone else does it. Too bad people these days are too stupid to think for themselves - they'd rather jump on the bandwagon like all the other stupid sheeple.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Well, judging from 247 it doesn't look like we're after typical G5 offensive linemen. We came into the Sun Belt in 2014 with flexbone linemen and ran the zone-blocking scheme well so maybe, just maybe, we're going after a lot of the same guys we'd go after for the flex?

As for the comment about not competing with P5 teams, do you realize that we had fewer yards per play of offense against Navy in Jeff Monken's second game here than we had against Clemson's veritable NFL defensive line? Both of those games were early in the first year of a coaching staff. Not to mention putting up 900+ yards of offense on two ACC bowl teams and going to OT with a UGA team that won 10 games. Other than flexbone homerism, I'm not seeing a reason to think this scheme can't compete with P5 teams as well.
    LOL. Dude, people merely utter the words "flex", "PJ", or "Monken" and all your ears can hear is: "yay, flexbone!" and your flexboner detector immediately starts buzzing. His post is not even pro-flex:

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveEAGLE24 View Post
    I guess I was referring to overall effectiveness. Other top tier Belt schools get their yardage on slant routes and swing passes and we get the same yardage just a different way. They will have a few deep passes and we will have some longer runs. Unlike under a true option scheme, our offense now doesn't have the 'talent-negating, TOP effect. We, like App, Troy, UL, and A-State basically out recruit other peer schools. We win the games we are supposed too but when we are clearly outmatched against a P5 it shows, at least on offense.

Point being, we don't have to have a specific type of player for certain positions on offense like a PJ or Monken style offense, so we basically recruit the same type athlete as other Belt schools now and thanks to our winning tradition we win many of those recruiting battles. IMO it's better this way because there's no shortage of athletes in our area and we don't necessarily have to have the same attitude towards recruiting as we did in the past. The way coaching turnovers go at this level we can't expect to always have a home rune coach like Russell, PJ, Monken, Fritz or even Lunsford. Idk maybe we can...but not having an extremely unique offense like flex bone will help when those situations inevitably occur. I'm babbling on at this point but no I don't see Tech's coaching change having a major impact on our future recruiting, I could be wrong.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    LOL. Dude, people merely utter the words "flex", "PJ", or "Monken" and all your ears can hear is: "yay, flexbone!" and your flexboner detector immediately starts buzzing. His post is not even pro-flex:
    He repeated a lot of the stuff that the flexbone fundamentalists say (current offense isn't unique, can't compete against P5s, doesn't negate talent, etc.) but then went on to say he thought we couldn't reliably always have a qualified flex coach available. So no, that doesn't mean there's no flexbone homerism there.

The idea our offense has no uniqueness is dubious (again, how many teams could run the ball 85% of the time with their playbook and have a decent offense)? The notion we can't compete with Power 5 teams also seriously stretches credibility after 2014 and 2015 and using Clemson in CCL's third game as a head coach with this staff with them having a once-in-a-generation defensive line proves nothing, either.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

You couldn't photoshop a Tracy Ham jersey on there?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    He repeated a lot of the stuff that the flexbone fundamentalists say (current offense isn't unique, can't compete against P5s, doesn't negate talent, etc.) but then went on to say he thought we couldn't reliably always have a qualified flex coach available. So no, that doesn't mean there's no flexbone homerism there.

The idea our offense has no uniqueness is dubious (again, how many teams could run the ball 85% of the time with their playbook and have a decent offense)? The notion we can't compete with Power 5 teams also seriously stretches credibility after 2014 and 2015 and using Clemson in CCL's third game as a head coach with this staff with them having a once-in-a-generation defensive line proves nothing, either.
    Not quite sure how we got into flexbome argument again.

We currently run a legit option offense that requires a legit option QB and an athletic OL.

Couldn't we leave it there without starting new bs?