TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: GS Presidential Search Update

1. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    I got the email today. Seem's like they could have waited a couple of days and had the info correct on the invite, maybe an announcement isn't imminent.
    You might be reading too far into it. I doubt if they announce a new president this week, that person will immediately assume all of Nickel's duties a few days later. Most likely there will be a transition this semester. The Evening with the President might even be a good way for Nickel to introduce the new president to donors.

Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Zero chance because according to what I've read on here, she does not have a PhD.
    Is that one of the criteria? Seems very small minded to require that. I'd much rather have someone who can run a large organization than a life long academic (not saying that there aren't any academics who could do it but why limit yourself)

Quote Originally Posted by GSU2011fan View Post
    Is that one of the criteria? Seems very small minded to require that. I'd much rather have someone who can run a large organization than a life long academic (not saying that there aren't any academics who could do it but why limit yourself)
    that's why I posted a number of years ago UAlbany had a MBA as President.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    that's why I posted a number of years ago UAlbany had a MBA as President.
    Nice. Education, like other public institutions, has gotten bureaucratically bloated and fallen out of touch due to group think. Employing people who possess teaching ability with experience in the field would be preferable to anyone with an "education" background.

I don't know exactly but I'd say so. You can't teach school without a degree above what you are teaching. So if you have a bachelors you can teach associate.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

6. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

The president of Youngstown State University is Jim Tressel.

Yes ... THAT Jim Tressel.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I don't know exactly but I'd say so. You can't teach school without a degree above what you are teaching. So if you have a bachelors you can teach associate.
    Thats a whole different issue. This isn't hiring a professor, its hiring someone with the capability to run a multiple million dollar entity that requires obtaining funds from various private and public sources and effectively allocating capital to the highest returning assets. I'd be pissed to think we overlooked quality people because they left school after 4 years instead of sitting there for a lifetime.

The Chair of the search committee publicly stated that holding a Ph.D would be important, but that they would consider executives without a terminal degree as they could consider other executive experience.

He also said they were charged to do the work and submit names to the USG for final consideration and that he would not have served in the role if he thought there was any way their work would be subverted by the USG or BOR, but folks will believe whatever they want.

Do not read too much into the Atlanta Evening with the President event. Interim President Nickel gave remarks at the Savannah event in December and will do so in February. Presidential searches and appointments take many months and there was never any consideration of a new President being announced and then presiding over the Atlanta event. As was mentioned, the event and invitations also take many months of planning.

Quote Originally Posted by KCEagle View Post
    The Chair of the search committee publicly stated that holding a Ph.D would be important, but that they would consider executives without a terminal degree as they could consider other executive experience.

He also said they were charged to do the work and submit names to the USG for final consideration and that he would not have served in the role if he thought there was any way their work would be subverted by the USG or BOR, but folks will believe whatever they want.

Do not read too much into the Atlanta Evening with the President event. Interim President Nickel gave remarks at the Savannah event in December and will do so in February. Presidential searches and appointments take many months and there was never any consideration of a new President being announced and then presiding over the Atlanta event. As was mentioned, the event and invitations also take many months of planning.
    +1, when the Mrs was on search committee they picked 3 to submit, with an emphasis on ONE they really liked. The BOR took it from there, that's how we got Jamie and yes, my wife liked him a lot.

10. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    +1, when the Mrs was on search committee they picked 3 to submit, with an emphasis on ONE they really liked. The BOR took it from there, that's how we got Jamie and yes, my wife liked him a lot.
    Hebert was great. Just didn't put his roots in the soil