TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Director of Football Operations

1. Default Director of Football Operations

Forgive my stupidity, but what is this position? Wasn't aware this was an opening we had? Doubt this is something PJ would come here for...

Default Re: Director of Football Operations

PJ ain't coming here to work, double lead pipe lock. \end thread.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    PJ ain't coming here to work, double lead pipe lock. \end thread.
    Don't bank on it. Stranger circumstances have happened. Someday down the road.

I would think it's the individual responsible for managing all of the nuts-and-bolts machinations necessary to get the players and coaches on the field with all of the support they rely on to be there -- everything other than on-the-field, strategic stuff like coaching. I was just mentioning to someone while watching some of the bowl games how much behind the scenes admin and managerial work must go into making sure the coaches and players have nothing to worry about except stepping onto the field to coach and play. Equipment -- everything from pads, helmets & uniforms to tools and spare parts to the exercise bikes the players stay warmed up on to kicking nets to sideline TV monitors and white boards, etc. Making sure all the headsets are functioning properly. Travel and shipping arrangements. Scheduling access to the field for pre-game walk-throughs at away games or bowls. Meals. Trainers and their equipment/supplies. Setting up and arranging the sideline so the player groups can have their in-game pow wows. Probably includes the day-to-day management of the football ops facility and the readiness and availability of practice fields. All of the 'back of house' logistics. Probably a job that doesn't necessarily require a lot of football expertise but management/administrative expertise.

Definitely not something you'd imagine would be PJ's bag.

There was a lot of talk, though, on the bowl broadcast about PJ retiring and it was largely cast in terms of like "for now" or "unless something piques his interest" as if they all were doubtful that it was absolute or permanent. But if he un-retires it probably wouldn't be for an administrative job.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

5. Default Re: Director of Football Operations

Usually a director is a mid-upper mgmt position. The above description could be accurate, but IDK.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I would think it's the individual responsible for managing all of the nuts-and-bolts machinations necessary to get the players and coaches on the field with all of the support they rely on to be there -- everything other than on-the-field, strategic stuff like coaching. I was just mentioning to someone while watching some of the bowl games how much behind the scenes admin and managerial work must go into making sure the coaches and players have nothing to worry about except stepping onto the field to coach and play. Equipment -- everything from pads, helmets & uniforms to tools and spare parts to the exercise bikes the players stay warmed up on to kicking nets to sideline TV monitors and white boards, etc. Making sure all the headsets are functioning properly. Travel and shipping arrangements. Scheduling access to the field for pre-game walk-throughs at away games or bowls. Meals. Trainers and their equipment/supplies. Setting up and arranging the sideline so the player groups can have their in-game pow wows. Probably includes the day-to-day management of the football ops facility and the readiness and availability of practice fields. All of the 'back of house' logistics. Probably a job that doesn't necessarily require a lot of football expertise but management/administrative expertise.

Definitely not something you'd imagine would be PJ's bag.

There was a lot of talk, though, on the bowl broadcast about PJ retiring and it was largely cast in terms of like "for now" or "unless something piques his interest" as if they all were doubtful that it was absolute or permanent. But if he un-retires it probably wouldn't be for an administrative job.
    I haven't seen where we have an opening for this, but I believe much of this description is about right, except that the equipment and headsets are taken care of and tested by the equipment staff, who also handles setting up the field/ sideline. Training staff also handles all of their equipment and set up.

If you've watched the last 2 signing day shows or listened to the GSSportsNetwork podcast, there have been interviews with Cymone where she talks about the position and some of her duties.
    https://gseagles.com/staff.aspx?staff=186

(If I misunderstood GATAlac's post, I apologize, but as a former one of those behind the scenes workers, thanks for noticing that there's a lot that goes on)

Quote Originally Posted by gsudarlin View Post
    I haven't seen where we have an opening for this, but I believe much of this description is about right, except that the equipment and headsets are taken care of and tested by the equipment staff, who also handles setting up the field/ sideline. Training staff also handles all of their equipment and set up.

If you've watched the last 2 signing day shows or listened to the GSSportsNetwork podcast, there have been interviews with Cymone where she talks about the position and some of her duties.
    https://gseagles.com/staff.aspx?staff=186

(If I misunderstood GATAlac's post, I apologize, but as a former one of those behind the scenes workers, thanks for noticing that there's a lot that goes on)
    . . . wouldn't these groups report upstream to the Director of Operations? I do know that the trainers are typically supposed to report to someone other than the coaching staff due to potential conflicts of interest on injuries and such.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Probably in terms of injuries and getting certain travel arrangements or itineraries for meetings/treatments or the travel roster, but in terms of the set up and whatnot, I'm not sure how much communication there is.

I was just a student, so simply did as I was told. Not even sure who had that position when I was in school? I know we had the football secretary, but in terms of the director title, I feel like that's new or I was just oblivious. (Quite possible, as I had a lot going on back then)

I don't think we have a football secretary anymore. I could be mistaken but at some point it was eliminated.

As far as the player equipment that's handled mostly by student staff both at practice and during game days. There is a person who heads the department as a full time employee, not sure how many others are employees, but most are student workers. gasouthern01's roommate was an equipment manager when we were in school. They pack the bags for game days and set up the locker rooms. You know that semi we have? That's all what is in there. I know of at least 2 posters that did that as well. Not sure how it works now but in the Stowers era you start off as free labor. Get free books and register early with the other athletes. Then each year the amount they give you increases.

The headsets and communication is set up by the GSU IT staff. A friend of mine is the IT Director over that department. They handle all that including the ref mics and scoreboard. All the tv's and audio in the suites, Bishop, etc. Basically all the technology at Paulson.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Is the Director of Football Operations position now open?