TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CJM Army and the Flexbone

Default Re: CJM Army and the Flexbone

Quote Originally Posted by GSUNCSU View Post
    but 11 times it worked...
    No it didn't. Their defense was just good enough to win those games.

But I forgot, this is GSU, where nobody cares what happens on defense. It was actually the offense that allowed the defense to be good.

2. Default Re: CJM Army and the Flexbone

Hard to say - when the offense is at its time consuming best, the other team starts to be more in a hurry and do things they don't normally do. On the flip side, when our defense is clicking it allows our offense to find its rhythm or even just bail us out. I think our defense in year 1 was stellar. Sloan is an excellent coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    it
    But I forgot, this is GSU, where nobody cares what happens on defense. It was actually the offense that allowed the defense to be good.

Actually they run the flexbone defense too. You’re outgunned in this one

It's funny that y'all are arguing over Army and Georgia Southern, when both offenses basically had the same goal and succeeded about the same. Both teams wanted to slow the pace of play, be safe with the ball, and be efficient with scoring drives, and both teams by and large were successful with that.

Both schools were in the top 20 percent of FBS in scoring efficiency, with Army at No. 11 and Georgia Southern at No. 25 in points per drive. There's really no need in arguing-- both offenses were good at what they were trying to do.

5. Default Re: CJM Army and the Flexbone

Another thing in common (sort of) is Nate Woody going to Army. That's a huge coup for them. For Army alums and fans, what a time to be alive

Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    It's funny that y'all are arguing over Army and Georgia Southern, when both offenses basically had the same goal and succeeded about the same. Both teams wanted to slow the pace of play, be safe with the ball, and be efficient with scoring drives, and both teams by and large were successful with that.

Both schools were in the top 20 percent of FBS in scoring efficiency, with Army at No. 11 and Georgia Southern at No. 25 in points per drive. There's really no need in arguing-- both offenses were good at what they were trying to do.

IMO, and certainly not to take anything away from Army....from what I saw, Houston just quit.

We'd beat Army by 60.

Sidenote: If you look at Klak's advanced stats page, we have an insane winning percentage when scoring 30+ points.

Lunsford has yet to lose a game where we scored 30. Monken may have lost 1. 30 is the magic number.

I'm not going to be so stubborn to say that Army's offense had absolutely nothing to do with their defensive performance, but come on. They were a top 10 defense in all of FBS. You don't put up those kind of numbers relying on time of possession.

I'm not going to be so stubborn to say that Army's offense had absolutely nothing to do with their defensive performance, but come on. They were a top 10 defense in all of FBS. You don't put up those kind of numbers relying on time of possession.
    Using advanced stats, their defense was actually quite mediocre-to-poor. They were No. 59 in FBS in defensive points per drive and even worse in the more situational defensive advanced stats. The offense definitely masked a mediocre defense.

Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    The schedule definitely masked a mediocre defense.
    FIFY
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.