TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Will we have any kind of Signings show on 19th?

1. Default Re: Will we have any kind of Signings show on 19th?

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Indy, I do know what your saying and I agree it would be nice to see some solid 3 stars commit to us. When a year comes that we don't, I just got to have faith that CL and staff have "seen something" in these kids where they are/will be solid players for us.
    I guess what i am saying and seem to have trouble getting it across is that I want 3 or 4 guys each year that make everyone around the better if you know what I mean. Coach Russell used to have a name for that type guy. He called them "bell cows". They had the "it" factor and when you saw it you knew it. I think we have good players, I just haven't identified those type guys yet. I still hopeful about the Feb signing and picking up a couple of guys like that.

Default Re: Will we have any kind of Signings show on 19th?

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I guess what i am saying and seem to have trouble getting it across is that I want 3 or 4 guys each year that make everyone around the better if you know what I mean. Coach Russell used to have a name for that type guy. He called them "bell cows". They had the "it" factor and when you saw it you knew it. I think we have good players, I just haven't identified those type guys yet. I still hopeful about the Feb signing and picking up a couple of guys like that.
    +1, up north we call those kind of guys, "can't miss". I'm wondering that in Feb. we go after a few solid JUCO kids?

I still hopeful about the Feb signing and picking up a couple of guys like that.
    Stay positive. Its not CL's first rodeo. He will recruit the quality players that he needs to best fit his system. CL is the man with the plan.😀

Can you name some of those who were obvious "bell cows" before they got to Statesboro?

Feel free to go back to the mid '80s if you want.

I ask because my memory is that our best players developed a great deal after they got here.

For instance, IIRC Giff Smith was about 180 pounds or so when he got here.

5. Default Re: Will we have any kind of Signings show on 19th?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Can you name some of those who were obvious "bell cows" before they got to Statesboro?

Feel free to go back to the mid '80s if you want.

I ask because my memory is that our best players developed a great deal after they got here.

For instance, IIRC Giff Smith was about 180 pounds or so when he got here.
    Sure, the natural progression is to improve from year to year for anyone. However, since u mentioned Giff, CR told us Giff was the kind of guy that we needed more of in our program and he would be a leader for the program. Another guy like that was Joe Ross. There was Daryll "Hop" Hopkins who committed to C. Russell and kept his word when ugag came calling. Of coarse there's Tracy and Adrian. I could go on, but you really do understand what I'm talking about I believe.We wern't guessing about who the feature back was gonna be when Adrian like we are for next year. I won't argue at all that we had plenty of guys that came in unheralded and became great players. We did. However we need those star power guys too. We will not get many, but when we do they can be guys that take the program up a notch almost instantly. That's what I want and believe can happen.

How about telling me who in our current class is that type guy?

6. Default Re: Will we have any kind of Signings show on 19th?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    I'm admittedly not the best evaluator of OL talent, but I believe we've got some players signed there who are going to really help us out.

McGriff from Thomasville may be my favorite. He moves great for a big guy, and his coach says he's very smart and always knows who to block, which I think is 75% of the battle at that position. He may be a guy that could play early.

Then you've got Carder, who was the best OL on a 6A championship team. Henshaw is a guy they say plays with attitude and dominated in a lot of the camps he attended. King is another south Georgia OL from Cairo who seems to move well and is strong.

None of these guys were highly rated, but like pete said, they look like they have more of the athleticism we are looking for to make our offense go. And when you sign 7 OL at our level, it's probably not going to be a highly rated class anyway, but that's our biggest need right now.
    I'm not either, but the one thing that's been a consistent theme when talking to coaches over the years was lineman needed long arms, quick feet and a good first step.

Sure, the natural progression is to improve from year to year for anyone. However, since u mentioned Giff, CR told us Giff was the kind of guy that we needed more of in our program and he would be a leader for the program. Another guy like that was Joe Ross. There was Daryll "Hop" Hopkins who committed to C. Russell and kept his word when ugag came calling. Of coarse there's Tracy and Adrian. I could go on, but you really do understand what I'm talking about I believe.We wern't guessing about who the feature back was gonna be when Adrian like we are for next year. I won't argue at all that we had plenty of guys that came in unheralded and became great players. We did. However we need those star power guys too. We will not get many, but when we do they can be guys that take the program up a notch almost instantly. That's what I want and believe can happen.

How about telling me who in our current class is that type guy?
    Maybe this is revisionist history, but I don’t think we always knew we had ‘bel cows’ (btw, it is spelled with 1 L). Adrian Peterson red-shirted his first year. We still had a Senior B-Back named Russell, I think. After his RS season, he totally took the reigns, I agree. We will figure out our starter, I have no doubt. Andrew Cunningham seems to be a ‘bel-cow’ in the making. I can’t wait.

As for this class, I think Jaden Jenkins will be the future. I think the 7 OL signings is an effort to revamp our line to fit his style and future QB signings. Also, I like our two transfers From Furman and Syracuse. I think they will both be starters.

8. Default Re: Will we have any kind of Signings show on 19th?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    ‘bel cows’ (btw, it is spelled with 1 L)
    Imma need you to show your work on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Imma need you to show your work on this one.
    Think this one is a reference to the brand.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

10. Default Re: Will we have any kind of Signings show on 19th?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    Maybe this is revisionist history, but I don’t think we always knew we had ‘bel cows’ (btw, it is spelled with 1 L). Adrian Peterson red-shirted his first year. We still had a Senior B-Back named Russell, I think. After his RS season, he totally took the reigns, I agree. We will figure out our starter, I have no doubt. Andrew Cunningham seems to be a ‘bel-cow’ in the making. I can’t wait.

As for this class, I think Jaden Jenkins will be the future. I think the 7 OL signings is an effort to revamp our line to fit his style and future QB signings. Also, I like our two transfers From Furman and Syracuse. I think they will both be starters.
    There was never any doubt from the time AP arrived on campus that he was gonna be the guy. He would have taken the job from R. Russell if he had not red shirted. We all know why he was red shirted.

I guess it's time to stop trying to convince people that we need to recruit any next level guys. Seems everyone is totally convinced that we are recruiting at the very best level possible except me. I seem to be the only one that thinks we can and should get a some of those guys each year.