TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EMU game and overall season thoughts

Default EMU game and overall season thoughts

1. Tyler Bass! So nice to have good kicking.

2. Was a very frustrating game to watch. We seemed to stop ourselves more than they stopped us in the second half between the penalties, the bad snaps, and needless cuteness. We did catch a break on that fumble that went for almost 10 yards but it wouldn't have happened if Werts kept his helmet on.

3. After EMU's first score I thought we were going to get killed deep over the middle all night, but we did a good job of taking away the big plays. Nice job by Josh Moon one-on-one against one of EMU's receivers on that one play.

4. Next year I hope we go back to taking ball carriers legs out from under them in the open field instead of arm tackling. If we were doing that then their #2 doesn't get those big gains on the go-ahead drive.

5. Only 8 teams in the FBS have fewer 4th down conversion attempts than us. Hopefully next season when it's 4th and 1 we have a more reliable run game and can go for it.

6. Turnover margin...outstanding. Zero interceptions is good even for an option team. I wonder how many teams have gone an entire year with no interceptions since the forward pass became legal?

7. Great turnout by our fans in Montgomery. Good to know that if there's a glut of bowl-eligible Sun Belt teams we'll have our first two bowl games to help keep us one of the favorites among the Sun Belt bowls.

8. 10-3!! Most wins since entering the FBS!!
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Default Re: EMU game and overall season thoughts

Ya'll watching to many Army games with all this constant CL is a bum because he doesn't go for it on 4th and shorts. 10-3 rings and a trophy. Appy got one more trophy than we did. We will be loaded next season and so will Appy and Troy. The SB East is murder.

3. Default Re: EMU game and overall season thoughts

Good points!

Especially about the arm tackling and the ESPECIALLY the 4th down conversions.

I'm not sure whether Debesse just has a different philosophy on 4th conversions, but he seems to be wrong.

Statistically, there is no argument. You MUST go for it on 4th when field position is halfway decent, but out side of FG range.

This article is written about the NFL, but it matters not. You simply MUST convert more 4th downs-especially with an option offense.
    http://www.advancedfootballanalytics...4th-down-study

We need to trust the numbers.

Monken and PJ didn't get to where they are by endless 3 & outs.

I really hope the staff takes a close look at this. There is simply no reason to punt from the other team's 45 when we have a yard or two remaining.... Especially with a slow punter.

4. Default Re: EMU game and overall season thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Ya'll watching to many Army games with all this constant CL is a bum because he doesn't go for it on 4th and shorts. 10-3 rings and a trophy. Appy got one more trophy than we did. We will be loaded next season and so will Appy and Troy. The SB East is murder.
    Totally agree. Thankfully we have a group of coaches that do in fact recognize the strengths and weaknesses of the team and do the things that put us in a position to win. They did a masterful job I think. I had been told the EMU was a disciplined and well coached team and that proved to be true. I think the biggest mistake they made was on the 4th down conversion when they decided to drop into max coverage verses putting pressure on. It gave Werts the ability to escape and get in the open field and we know how that story ends many times.

5. Default Re: EMU game and overall season thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Good points!

Especially about the arm tackling and the ESPECIALLY the 4th down conversions.

I'm not sure whether Debesse just has a different philosophy on 4th conversions, but he seems to be wrong.

Statistically, there is no argument. You MUST go for it on 4th when field position is halfway decent, but out side of FG range.

This article is written about the NFL, but it matters not. You simply MUST convert more 4th downs-especially with an option offense.
    http://www.advancedfootballanalytics...4th-down-study

We need to trust the numbers.

Monken and PJ didn't get to where they are by endless 3 & outs.

I really hope the staff takes a close look at this. There is simply no reason to punt from the other team's 45 when we have a yard or two remaining.... Especially with a slow punter.
    You just dont get it, do you? If we were running the flex, i would agree with you 100% but we aren't running the flex. That's the only reason monken/pj go for it as much as they do. We hand the ball off three yards in the backfield, they hand it off almost on the LoS. Go back and look at the times we did go for it and what happened. That is the reason why you aren't the coach and that your opinion shows your ignorance to the game.

6. Default Re: EMU game and overall season thoughts

Also, show me one instance this season where not going for it on a 4th down caused us to lose. You cant!! Smart football got us 10 wins with a chance at winning the sunbelt. Stay home and watch Army if that's what you want.

7. Default Re: EMU game and overall season thoughts

We went for fewer 4th and shorts because we have Tyler Bass.

This season we had 14 occurrences of 4th and 2 or less inside the 50. We made 6 field goals, punted once (Werts pooch punt vs SC State), and were 4 for 7 on 4th down. As we get better and the consistency on the dive improves, we'll go for it more.

Anyway, here's the full game:

Last edited by Klak; 16th December 2018 at 11:26 PM.

8. Default Re: EMU game and overall season thoughts

Iím not saying it cost us a win. I am saying it definitely cost us scores and gave the ball to the other team for no reason.

Our 4th conversion % is about where it should be. We just rarely go for it when we should.

We saw our slow punter get killed again last night. Another risk you are overlooking.

Thatís one position which needs serious attention. Iíve never seen a punter so slow in college. 4 seconds to get it in the air sometimes. We got lucky several times with him not getting nailed.

He got bailed last night and that was almost a fumble.

Iím not saying we should have gone for it on that play, but the more times we have 4th an a yard or two in decent field position when we could most likely make it, the higher the risk of a turnover is.

People are ignoring our punter. He really is very slow.

(But yeah, Iím a moron and our punter is super-fast and no one ever gets close to him and whatever.... you win the internet.)

Beat App State. Check
    Beat GA State. Check
    Winning Season. Check
    Bowl game. Check

Bud Light.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    You just dont get it, do you? If we were running the flex, i would agree with you 100% but we aren't running the flex. That's the only reason monken/pj go for it as much as they do. We hand the ball off three yards in the backfield, they hand it off almost on the LoS. Go back and look at the times we did go for it and what happened. That is the reason why you aren't the coach and that your opinion shows your ignorance to the game.
    not to mention while our O-line improved over course of season they were not the most CONSISTENT bunch. That inconsistency I'm sure was a factor in the decision process. Also like mentioned over and over again if you have a great FG kicker(in which Monken never has and PJ rarely). You get the "sure points". This ain't rocket science. CL was thinking ahead last night and called a great game.