TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    28,267

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Any proposal that includes "reduce the number of regular season games" is completely out, mainly because if 6 or 8 teams are making the playoff, then you just eliminated an extra game for 122+ teams so that TWO teams don't have to play 16 games.

    Screw every bit of that. There's no way I'm supporting GS playing an 11 game schedule every year so that Alabama and Clemson's players don't play too many games whenever they make the title game.

    Going to 11 would take away a home game from teams like Bama and Clemson too. And no way their Presidents and AD’s are going to want to lose that revenue.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    The 8 team playoff sounds great but mainly bc we are g5 and that is the only way we get a shot. No way would I want The top g5 in if that team is say a three loss team. Just like I wouldn’t want a conference champion in if they weren’t great. 2012 Wisconsin won the Big10 with an 8-5 record. They don’t deserve to be best of the best.

    Pro sports lets baseball teams in with losing records every few seasons. Hawks have made it with a losing record. That stuff is garbage.

    Should just be top 8 no matter what. Whatever your rank is at end of season.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    7,977

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by hcjim999 View Post
    The 8 team playoff sounds great but mainly bc we are g5 and that is the only way we get a shot. No way would I want The top g5 in if that team is say a three loss team. Just like I wouldn’t want a conference champion in if they weren’t great. 2012 Wisconsin won the Big10 with an 8-5 record. They don’t deserve to be best of the best.

    Pro sports lets baseball teams in with losing records every few seasons. Hawks have made it with a losing record. That stuff is garbage.

    Should just be top 8 no matter what. Whatever your rank is at end of season.
    Regardless of regular season record why doesn't a conference champ deserve shot at an NC playoff? If they beat the teams in front of them, then they deserve the NC. Look at UMass in '98. They had a bad regular season record (not sure if they won their conference or not), but then beat all four of the top four seeds in the playoffs on their way to hoisting the trophy. Do they not "deserve" a NC? Teams can get hot at the right time, or could have early injuries, or any number of other reasons to lose a few games. That doesn't mean they don't deserve it.

    How many undefeated NFL teams have won the Super Bowl? Most SB winners have multiple losses. Does that tarnish the trophy or the fact that they are SB champs.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Posts
    44,914

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Regardless of regular season record why doesn't a conference champ deserve shot at an NC playoff? If they beat the teams in front of them, then they deserve the NC. Look at UMass in '98. They had a bad regular season record (not sure if they won their conference or not), but then beat all four of the top four seeds in the playoffs on their way to hoisting the trophy. Do they not "deserve" a NC? Teams can get hot at the right time, or could have early injuries, or any number of other reasons to lose a few games. That doesn't mean they don't deserve it.

    How many undefeated NFL teams have won the Super Bowl? Most SB winners have multiple losses. Does that tarnish the trophy or the fact that they are SB champs.
    +1. When MLB first added the wild card teams, didn't the wild card win the first 3+ World Series titles?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  5. #35

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Here's my proposal - granted I have not read that article so if they stole my idea just remember it was my idea first and I want 3% royalties 4 lyfe -

    Have all games start on that Week Zero week - the weekend before labor day. Gives you 13 weeks to get in 12 games, or you could shorten to 11 games and give teams 2 byes.

    Rivalry weekend is now the week ahead of Thanksgiving - the typical P5 cupcake week.

    Conf Champ games are Thanksgiving weekend - puts less strain on athletic departments to generate attendance on a known holiday weekend when people are already travelling to various destinations. Now you're only asking 20 fanbases to attend, and you can spread the games over the weekend so each game gets full attention on major networks with no conflicts.

    Army-Navy game is first weekend of December (current conf champ weekend). All playoff teams are on bye.

    8 teams in playoff - 5 P5 champs, highest rated G5 conf champ, 2 at-large. First round of games occurs 2 weeks after conf champ game (2nd weekend in December) and are scheduled on campus based on how teams are seeded for playoffs. I dont care how it's done, base it on ytd attendance, highest rated, whatever. the 2 week break gives teams a chance to plan and sell tickets to get people to the game, and gives fans time to plan the trip, without being too close to Holiday parties.

    4 teams remaining - now follow current CFP lineup for bowl games to play out the last games. Semifinals on New Years, Championship game the week after.
    Although I would like a 12 team playoff (10 conference champions, 2 at large, top 4 get 1st round byes) I frankly think the 8 team scenario is the best we can expect. The P5s would like it as it gives 4 of them one extra home game and I have to believe it would generate more money than the current system (bottom line with ESPN and P5s).

  6. #36

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    I think the 16 might come around someday because of the crash in TV contracts. At some point in time the folks offering TV money may require the conferences to throw them a bone with better OOC match ups and expanded playoffs.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

  7. #37

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    Expand?, OK but it will remain a P5 party. Sorry boys.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Both of you hit on very legit points. The P5’s aren’t going to want to share more money and a 16 team would do that. Also a 16 team means basically the top 5 seeds are playing G5 opponents. We already see what attendance looks like for those games. TV ratings and attendance would both be very low (relatively speaking) for those 5 games.
    Other than them not wanting to share with the G5, I Disagree that the $ would be smaller. I think it gets bigger (a lot bigger)!

    And you don't just sit the top 2, sit the top 4 week 1. If you make those G5 teams relevant to the outcome of crowing the national champion you instantly get eye balls on those games. And not just the playoff games, but also the regular season to some degree and especially for the teams that consistently win their conference.
    Every g5 conference championship (and some p5 as well) game would see a huge Spike in viewership.

    12 teams, all conf champs plus two at Large.

    G5 mostly eliminates itself in week 1.

    Goal or mission statement of the playoff committee is currently flawed.
    It needs to be two fold:
    1: Make beyond the shadow of a doubt sure that you have THE BEST team in the playoff.

    2: Ensure that every team from every conference has a real path to the title.

    Don't put the playoff on s pedestal.
    Nobody is saying that a 3 loss MAC champion is better than the third best SEC team that didn't get in. They MIGHT be? They just get a chance to have it proven to them or prove otherwise.
    Those G5 top teams essentially play now in bowl games. The viewership dollars couldn't get worse, am I right? With their bowl games being relevant to the NC? And ensuring they are playing another conference championship or at least a top tier team... Winner lives to play another day?
    Good stuff, people will watch!

    But I don't think we get it anytime soon

    I think we get 8 teams with the Access spot included as real access.

    I just like the format of picking the top 4 seeds we currently have. The framework is already there, we just could take and let an additional 8 teams (only 4 games!) Play for a chance to challenge them. A 12 team system just builds on that so easy like snapping in a few extra Legos.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    In a CFP scenario where the P5 conference champions get auto-bids to a 6 or 8 team playoffs, the P5 conference championship games are essentially first round playoff games so it is really already at least a Top 10-12 team playoff.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Possible Talks Of Playoff Expansion... Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by RobFromNorcross View Post
    In a CFP scenario where the P5 conference champions get auto-bids to a 6 or 8 team playoffs, the P5 conference championship games are essentially first round playoff games so it is really already at least a Top 10-12 team playoff.
    Yep. What is so complicated about if you win you are in? It seems the Southeastern conference is the one that whines all the time about this concept
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th January 2014, 11:17 PM
  2. Benson talks Sun Belt Expansion
    By GATA ERK in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 1st October 2012, 03:37 PM
  3. PJ Talks GSU/Navy
    By gsu01 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 31st July 2010, 05:12 PM
  4. Money Talks
    By oldfart in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st November 2009, 09:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •