TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 LastLast

Thread: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    I'm going to call BS on athletes at GT being held to the same requirements as regular students. According to this 2014 article, GT's football SAT scores are over 400 points less than regular students. It even says one guy got in with a score of 590. To be fair, their team still has an average score of over 1000, but the other 3 FBS teams in Georgia are not too far behind in the mid-900's.

http://investigations.myajc.com/football-admissions/
    What that article posts is standards, not requirements. There is a difference. No one said GT football players had to meet the same standards as regular students.

Up until a few years ago 80% of GT football players were required to meet the minimum admissions requirements for GT. GT does not have a minimum standardized test requirement currently but does have a minimum GPA requirement. CPJ got that 80% rule dropped but they continued to recruit players who could succeed academically because he said he knew they'd just put the rule back if they started to have players flunking. That was reported in spring 2014 so I don't know if the 2014 or 2015 signing class was the first to go by the new guidelines.

I posted about Stanford because they're always brought up for comparison when they have no minimum requirements, period. Neither does Duke or most other private school. Athletes do have to meet minimum NCAA requirements to play immediately, and lower requirements to redshirt. And here's the thing about that....they use a sliding scale. If you have a 3.55 GPA or higher, you only need to make a 400 on the SAT. If you have the minimum 2.0 GPA to redshirt you have to make an 1100. For a 3.0 GPA, you only need a 720 SAT.

OK, so looking at GT with a 3.0-3.3 minimum GPA and compare with the article listings and you see in 2014 they were possibly getting freshmen with both high GPA and high SAT (relative to NCAA requirement and the rest of the state who could waive GPA requirements).

But really, those standards say a lot. To be totally honest and not PC, think about being a good jock and visiting Tech. Think about what you'd probably see as the average student body and if that would sway you to go there over say a UGA or Ole Miss or something. So really it might be the standards just as much as the requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    These days, my doormat could get a higher GPA from a public high school.
    Don't broad-brush every school into your 'public high school dig. Yes there are some real stinkers out there, but if a kid really wants a good education he can get it anywhere. And I'm not a huge supporter of the status quo in today's public education...but there are some really good public schools out there.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    What that article posts is standards, not requirements. There is a difference. No one said GT football players had to meet the same standards as regular students.

Up until a few years ago 80% of GT football players were required to meet the minimum admissions requirements for GT. GT does not have a minimum standardized test requirement currently but does have a minimum GPA requirement. CPJ got that 80% rule dropped but they continued to recruit players who could succeed academically because he said he knew they'd just put the rule back if they started to have players flunking. That was reported in spring 2014 so I don't know if the 2014 or 2015 signing class was the first to go by the new guidelines.

I posted about Stanford because they're always brought up for comparison when they have no minimum requirements, period. Neither does Duke or most other private school. Athletes do have to meet minimum NCAA requirements to play immediately, and lower requirements to redshirt. And here's the thing about that....they use a sliding scale. If you have a 3.55 GPA or higher, you only need to make a 400 on the SAT. If you have the minimum 2.0 GPA to redshirt you have to make an 1100. For a 3.0 GPA, you only need a 720 SAT.

OK, so looking at GT with a 3.0-3.3 minimum GPA and compare with the article listings and you see in 2014 they were possibly getting freshmen with both high GPA and high SAT (relative to NCAA requirement and the rest of the state who could waive GPA requirements).

But really, those standards say a lot. To be totally honest and not PC, think about being a good jock and visiting Tech. Think about what you'd probably see as the average student body and if that would sway you to go there over say a UGA or Ole Miss or something. So really it might be the standards just as much as the requirements.
    The fact is that the idea that PJ can't win because of GT's amazing academics is false.

Regardless, they still shouldn't be recruiting at the bottom of the ACC every year. They may not be able to compete with the Clemson's and FSU's of the world, but they should certainly be able to do better than they are. My personal opinion is that PJ has gotten to be even more of a cantankerous *** than he already was, and trying to woo 18 year olds just isn't his thing anymore. And your last paragraph probably carries some weight as well.

And your last paragraph probably carries some weight as well.
    Recruit visits UGA and sees at least 10 keg parties going on.
    Recruit visits GT and sees at least 10 Dungeons and Dragons parties going on.
    It's got to be a huge handicap.

5. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Case closed lock the thread and move on!

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Recruit visits UGA and sees at least 10 keg parties going on.
    Recruit visits GT and sees at least 10 Dungeons and Dragons parties going on.
    It's got to be a huge handicap.
    Why not both?

The fact is that the idea that PJ can't win because of GT's amazing academics is false.

Regardless, they still shouldn't be recruiting at the bottom of the ACC every year. They may not be able to compete with the Clemson's and FSU's of the world, but they should certainly be able to do better than they are. My personal opinion is that PJ has gotten to be even more of a cantankerous *** than he already was, and trying to woo 18 year olds just isn't his thing anymore. And your last paragraph probably carries some weight as well.
    They're not at the bottom of the ACC every year. They are, however, in the bottom half, and that is about right.

They may have an occasional year in which they break into the top six or seven, but that will be the exception.

Maybe a "modern" offense and a sexy coach will get them up a couple of spots, but they're already within a point or so of everybody else below #6 in terms of per recruit ranking.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    That’s a pretty ignorant statement. I teach high school and I can guarantee you that’s not the case.
    Consider the source. His doormat might actually be smarter than he is.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    Why not both?
    Because then you get this
    http://www.cc.com/video-clips/y0n070...--chaotic-evil

10. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

n/m