TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Depends on the OC. Collins is a defensive guy.

Temple's offense wasn't exactly humming from the start under his tenure there.
    Nope. IIRC, the only time I’ve watched Temple play under him was the OT loss against Army last year. Great game.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Moron AD chooses more Chan Gailey mediocrity. Oh, well, their loss is our gain.

James Graham, come on down!

Please. Please. Please.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

3. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    Or relax their admissions criteria for student athletes. They quit doing this in the Chan Gailey era. Either your GPA is between 3.7 - 3.9 with an SAT score of 1450, or you will never see the light of day, much less a football field.
    Try 4.0+. Hell, UGA's most recent incoming freshman class had an average high school GPA above a 4.0.

But you're right, Tech will be a mediocre team at best as long as they keep their student-athletes academic requirements as high as standard students, doesn't matter what offense they run.

4. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Try 4.0+. Hell, UGA's most recent incoming freshman class had an average high school GPA above a 4.0.

But you're right, Tech will be a mediocre team at best as long as they keep their student-athletes academic requirements as high as standard students, doesn't matter what offense they run.
    They made it to the Orange Bowl a few years ago, I thought. Otherwise, you're somewhat right. Higher academic standards don't always translate into wins. That's why an equalizer offense is a better fit at a place like Tech. You try to beat people at their game when they've got an advantage and you probably won't.

PJ had his moments. He'll go down as one of the greats. Or should, anyhow.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    They made it to the Orange Bowl a few years ago, I thought. Otherwise, you're somewhat right. Higher academic standards don't always translate into wins. That's why an equalizer offense is a better fit at a place like Tech. You try to beat people at their game when they've got an advantage and you probably won't.

PJ had his moments. He'll go down as one of the greats. Or should, anyhow.
    Yeah, I feel that Tech is about on a level playing field with everyone else in the middle-bottom of the ACC. They may have an advantage over Wake, but that's about it.

They obviously aren't Clemson, FSU, or Miami. They're probably not UNC or VT, either (in terms of having a foundation for winning football).

I don't know how Duke and BC slot into the ACC football pecking order, but I don't see how Tech should be "consistently better" than NCSU, UVA, Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville, et al.

PJ did a very good job considering that context, but the recent losing seasons were understandably hard for their fans to follow. The highs were very high for a program like Tech's, however.

Considering what he did at GS and Navy, he's a no-doubt CFB HoFer.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

I'm going to call BS on athletes at GT being held to the same requirements as regular students. According to this 2014 article, GT's football SAT scores are over 400 points less than regular students. It even says one guy got in with a score of 590. To be fair, their team still has an average score of over 1000, but the other 3 FBS teams in Georgia are not too far behind in the mid-900's.

http://investigations.myajc.com/football-admissions/

I can pretty much guarantee you that there's no Power 5 program where the admissions standards are the same for athletes as the general student population. That's true for everything from Duke basketball, UCLA women's soccer, Stanford volleyball, and UC Berkeley football.

Now the SAT admissions requirements specifically for athletes might be different at different schools, and some schools might have a freshman math or writing requirement that are tougher than others. And some schools (like Tech) don't have "General Studies" or "Recreation" degree programs.

(Thanks for the link, Walt. Someone will have to show it to Ben Moore the next time he says their academic requirements for football players are more stringent than ours.)
    Last edited by BillyBob; 7th December 2018 at 06:44 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

8. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post

These days, my doormat could get a higher GPA from a public high school.

9. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    I'm going to call BS on athletes at GT being held to the same requirements as regular students. According to this 2014 article, GT's football SAT scores are over 400 points less than regular students. It even says one guy got in with a score of 590. To be fair, their team still has an average score of over 1000, but the other 3 FBS teams in Georgia are not too far behind in the mid-900's.

http://investigations.myajc.com/football-admissions/
    No players anywhere are held to the same standard. I am thinking of a guy I know who was restricted by some schools who he wouldn’t have been able to get into with double his GPA.)

That’s OK. It’s a great opportunity, and should be viewed as such. A scholarship is a great opportunity-no matter whether is academic or athletic.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    These days, my doormat could get a higher GPA from a public high school.
    That’s a pretty ignorant statement. I teach high school and I can guarantee you that’s not the case.