TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    How about Duke...they have beaten GT 4 out of the last 5 years.
    When we played UNC a few years ago part of the trip was a tour of Duke campus. Obviously basketball is going to be different there with who they can take. But we met a coach (girl's soccer?) while looking at the campus buildings. He said it was really hard to recruit there due to the academic standards. Being a non revenue sport they are not going to get the exceptions like basketball does nor can they offer up the "easy" degrees.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    When we played UNC a few years ago part of the trip was a tour of Duke campus. Obviously basketball is going to be different there with who they can take. But we met a coach (girl's soccer?) while looking at the campus buildings. He said it was really hard to recruit there due to the academic standards. Being a non revenue sport they are not going to get the exceptions like basketball does nor can they offer up the "easy" degrees.
    Great trip. They told us to go on the floor at Cameron indoor and enjoy it. I think we were there 2 hours just having fun on the court, taking pictures etc. Then someone came over and said they needed to prepare for a volleyball game that night. As we left Cameron indoor the Miami women's volleyball team showed up and as they were getting off the bus we were all drooling. They were all as tall as 1peat and insanely hot ha. Man I wish I could find those pictures. Good times! We were close to staying for the game to ha
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I doubt GT degree programs like Business Admin, Literature, Media and Comminication, etc., are much more difficult then what athletes are majoring in at Stanford or Northwestern, IMHO.
    Literature? Have you ever taken an upper-level Literature class? I’m guessing not.

There are several differences between Tech and the other schools being mentioned.

Those universities offer strong programs for virtually every degree under the sun, and Stanford recruits on a national level.

When a HS football player fits the profile of a Tech recruit, he’s going to be looking at the schools you mention, along with Notre Dame, Michigan, and a few others.

Notre Dame and Michigan are especially keen on getting elite players from the southeast who would be good academic fits at Tech. Those same players also have offers from just about every other elite P5 program, because every program likes good students/citizens. Just last year, Tech lost C’Bo Flemister to Notre Dame and Michael Barrett to Michigan, and those weren’t even elite recruits.

So, Tech is usually left as a REGIONAL competitor for the non-elite talents who are likely to “make the grade” as student-athletes. They end up competing with Vanderbilt, Duke, Wake Forest, etc. Tech is merely a mediocre ACC team with respect to its recruiting situation. They cannot compete year-in, year-out with Clemson, FSU, Miami, or even UNC.

There’s no doubt they could theoretically recruit better, but it’s a challenge when the nation’s elite P5s (from UGA and Alabama to ND, Michigan, and OSU) are getting the best talent out of Georgia. They typically won’t sign anyone with equivalent offers from those programs, even when they see a recruit as a potential star (Flemister, Barrett), while the elites see him as a roster-filer. Thus they will continue to get average to average-minus ACC talent every year, regardless of what system they run.

They’re in the same boat as most of their conference peers, which seems logical to me.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

4. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Literature? Have you ever taken an upper-level Literature class? I’m guessing not.
    You guessed incorrectly, I took one as a easy elective in one of my masters programs.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    You guessed incorrectly, I took one as a easy elective in one of my masters programs.
    That's pretty funny. I guess it depends on who you had for a professor and what the course was. The reading load is typically intense, and I never found twenty-page term papers to be particularly easy.

The dozens of literature classes I've taken have typically rewarded IQ and writing skills.

I suppose most undergrads can hack a "C" pretty easily in upper-level literature classes if they complete all the assignments. Getting a "A," as I note, probably has to do with a student's writing skills and IQ (whatever that is).
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

6. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Georgia Tech will hire Geoff Collins from Temple

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Georgia Tech will hire Geoff Collins from Temple
    That’s a good hire for them, although I still think the only way Tech will ever be an elite football program is if they start cheating in recruiting. As Pete said there is major disadvantages recruiting there this day and age.
    Go Eagles!!

Depends on the OC. Collins is a defensive guy.

Temple's offense wasn't exactly humming from the start under his tenure there.

Moron AD chooses more Chan Gailey mediocrity. Oh, well, their loss is our gain.

James Graham, come on down!
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

10. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Or relax their admissions criteria for student athletes. They quit doing this in the Chan Gailey era. Either your GPA is between 3.7 - 3.9 with an SAT score of 1450, or you will never see the light of day, much less a football field.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    That’s a good hire for them, although I still think the only way Tech will ever be an elite football program is if they start cheating in recruiting. As Pete said there is major disadvantages recruiting there this day and age.