TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by The Demoralizer View Post
    To whom? Recruits?

Find me a recruit who would rather play in the Big South than the Sun Belt and I'll show you a player who won't get much playing time.

This is an absurd statement and you should know better by now.
    There are lots of kids that would choose the metro atlanta area for whatever reason (stay close to family, big city fun, etc) and wouldn't care if its fcs vs sunbelt. Now a p5 vs fcs maybe but my point is ksu has a lot to offer and most of these kids dont know any conference other than sec and acc
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Let the Tobias Oliver transfer to Georgia Southern rumors begin!
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

I guess the real question is who decided for him to retire today? What kind of package did GT put together that allowed both to benefit by his immediate departure?
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

4. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

To whom? Recruits?

Find me a recruit who would rather play in the Big South than the Sun Belt and I'll show you a player who won't get much playing time.

This is an absurd statement and you should know better by now.
    +1

I have a friend who claims to be a GT fan but decided early this season that he would no longer cheer for Tech as long as PJ was their coach. He thinks the triple option will never lead them to national prominence. First of all, how can one be a fan if they are so, only when their team is winning (ignore our poor attendance during the Tyson Summer regime), and secondly, why was PJ hired in the first place? Reason: He was a proven winner and it's not the previous coaches were all that successful (exception: Bobby Ross). In my opinion, Tech will never dominate UGA year in and year out. They may be a good ACC team every now and then but Clemson will continue to roll and FSU and Miami will restock and Tech will once again find itself in the middle of the ACC pack. I do think that his departure could help us in recruiting but that depends on who they get to replace him and if we continue to be an option based offense. Tech will not hire Jeff Monken or other PJ disciples. They are probably happy to see him go and he is probably walking away with a huge payout to get him to retire.
    West Georgia Eagle
    Temple, GA
    Class of 1981

Quote Originally Posted by acm85 View Post
    Goodbye GT Triple O ?
    No doubt, back to being mediocre in pro style again instead of the triple o, if they continue to pass on the same academic risks SEC teams take.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by West Georgia Eagle View Post
    I have a friend who claims to be a GT fan but decided early this season that he would no longer cheer for Tech as long as PJ was their coach. He thinks the triple option will never lead them to national prominence. First of all, how can one be a fan if they are so, only when their team is winning (ignore our poor attendance during the Tyson Summer regime), and secondly, why was PJ hired in the first place? Reason: He was a proven winner and it's not the previous coaches were all that successful (exception: Bobby Ross). In my opinion, Tech will never dominate UGA year in and year out. They may be a good ACC team every now and then but Clemson will continue to roll and FSU and Miami will restock and Tech will once again find itself in the middle of the ACC pack. I do think that his departure could help us in recruiting but that depends on who they get to replace him and if we continue to be an option based offense. Tech will not hire Jeff Monken or other PJ disciples. They are probably happy to see him go and he is probably walking away with a huge payout to get him to retire.
    +1. Golf 4-5 days a week around his home in NC, not bad.

Darn skippy. Unless they get Monken, we just unlocked access to a lot of option-capable recruits. This is a huge plus for us. Maybe we can get a transfer or two out of the deal.
    Wait, I thought PJ doing well at Tech was good for us . . . PJ leaving Tech . . . good/bad? . . . I . . . can . . . not . . . compute . . . I . . . can . . . not . . . compute . . . SHORT CIRCUIT!!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Other than some of the QBs, whoever replaces Johnson will be getting those same players.
    You don't think his O-Line and receivers probably have a little different profile than most? Guys that can play under the kitchen table and guys that are block first?
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Wait, I thought PJ doing well at Tech was good for us . . . PJ leaving Tech . . . good/bad? . . . I . . . can . . . not . . . compute . . . I . . . can . . . not . . . compute . . . SHORT CIRCUIT!!

You don't think his O-Line and receivers probably have a little different profile than most? Guys that can play under the kitchen table and guys that are block first?
    Well, I've personally always wanted GT and UGA to lose every game, especially since the move up. But, I know the type you're referring to.
    "I've seen more heat in an Easy Bake Oven, Meat!"

Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011
    North Augusta, South Carolina

So does that mean we have less GT fans on the board now?

I'll hang up and listen.