TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

I wonder if they would go after Fritz... can't see it happening now since Ruse was let go.

2. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

The flaw with this is that GT, contrary to popular belief, does not have the money for an elite coach. PJ got $3.5 million or so. He's also the OC. A world class OC can be at or near $1 million. In theory, that leaves $2.5 million for a coach that's cutting edge enough to beat coaches that get paid at least twice as much. They have a buyout for a basketball coach that will pay him for the rest of his natural life too. $2.5 million is significantly more than G5, but not so much so that it competes with the upper echelons of P5. That is, if they go with a regular offense. They'll find out the hard way, just like we did.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Valid points, however, I am of the opinion that almost any program can be a real power, it just comes down to what said program is willing to spend to make it happen. Do they have the means, or will, to shell out money for a Saban, or content with paying for a Monken, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Yeah, I’m thinking that is a strange statement to make. Probably an exaggeration of what was said which was probably much less of an absolute and more like “you’ll all have an opportunity to compete for your position under the new coach “

I don’t think an overwhelming majority of Tech fans are fans of it, and those who are are not especially rabid

From what I learned PJ negiotiated a years severance for his coaches, that's probably it.

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    The flaw with this is that GT, contrary to popular belief, does not have the money for an elite coach. PJ got $3.5 million or so. He's also the OC. A world class OC can be at or near $1 million. In theory, that leaves $2.5 million for a coach that's cutting edge enough to beat coaches that get paid at least twice as much. They have a buyout for a basketball coach that will pay him for the rest of his natural life too. $2.5 million is significantly more than G5, but not so much so that it competes with the upper echelons of P5. That is, if they go with a regular offense. They'll find out the hard way, just like we did.
    Yes, but something like one in every GT grad is a millionaire. I'd suspect that IF the AD was willing to apply any pressure on PJ to retire, then it might have been a "put your money where your mouth is" to what every group that was making the request/demand.
    PJ had pointed to the lack of Alumni and Institutional commitment to match that of programs like Clemson. I remember him saying something like "expectations must meet commitment level". If the AD were giving a guarantee of that kind of commitment to upgrade facilities, ext... The extra money might have been provided to hire some Marquee coach. Their Alumni have the $.. but do they care enough to make this happen and support their program in a way that will make a difference? We might be able to tell somewhat about that when we see who they hire. IF they stay flex, we know that didn't happen. Doesn't mean it did if they go another direction, but it might if they get a big time name.

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    From what I learned PJ negiotiated a years severance for his coaches, that's probably it.
    That might explain the sentiment behind what was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Yes, but something like one in every GT grad is a millionaire. I'd suspect that IF the AD was willing to apply any pressure on PJ to retire, then it might have been a "put your money where your mouth is" to what every group that was making the request/demand.
    PJ had pointed to the lack of Alumni and Institutional commitment to match that of programs like Clemson. I remember him saying something like "expectations must meet commitment level". If the AD were giving a guarantee of that kind of commitment to upgrade facilities, ext... The extra money might have been provided to hire some Marquee coach. Their Alumni have the $.. but do they care enough to make this happen and support their program in a way that will make a difference? We might be able to tell somewhat about that when we see who they hire. IF they stay flex, we know that didn't happen. Doesn't mean it did if they go another direction, but it might if they get a big time name.
    This post makes a lot of sense.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    The problem with Tech is the alumni who give, only give to the academic side. Most don't care about sports. Their endowment is huge, heck they have a building named after the Ford family. I saw him speak at my cousin's graduation.

Endowment: $2 billion, Gift income $265 million. Someone better with numbers can explain that better than me, but is that how much was raised last year?

https://www.gtf.gatech.edu/sites/def...eport2017.html

Found an older article from 2017, Athletic budget is $77M, which is near the bottom of the ACC. With 1/3rd of that coming from the ACC network.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    The problem with Tech is the alumni who give, only give to the academic side. Most don't care about sports. Their endowment is huge, heck they have a building named after the Ford family. I saw him speak at my cousin's graduation.

Endowment: $2 billion, Gift income $265 million. Someone better with numbers can explain that better than me, but is that how much was raised last year?

https://www.gtf.gatech.edu/sites/def...eport2017.html

Found an older article from 2017, Athletic budget is $77M, which is near the bottom of the ACC. With 1/3rd of that coming from the ACC network.
    And how much of that is UGA fans donating so they can get tickets to the UGA/Tech game every other year?

Tech gets lots of out-of-state and foreign students as well as some in-state students who are more likely to watch the Overwatch World Cup than a football game. Not how you build a big fan and donor base.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

9. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    +1. After they go 6-6 for the next five years.
    Well, if they did, their average wins per year would exactly match CPJ's over the last 4 years at Tech (3,9,5,7 = 6 games per year)

* Tech missed a game last year to CFU and they have one more to go this year

10. Default Re: Paul Johnson to Retire??

Exactly. I'd wager their out of state students outnumber their in-state students. At the very least, a significant number of graduates don't stay in Atlanta. So far, I've met a grand total of 1 graduate that actually attended some games while there, or least after. So basically they have a variation of the problem we have.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Tech gets lots of out-of-state and foreign students as well as some in-state students who are more likely to watch the Overwatch World Cup than a football game. Not how you build a big fan and donor base.