TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule on home attendance

1. Default Re: Rule on home attendance

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Honestly - what is the benefit of the NCAA in enforcing this rule?

Most people realize that CFB attendance is related to winning, so teams that inhale vigorously are going to have bad attendance. And if a team has a few consecutive 8-11 win seasons where the program is on the upswing, and they STILL don't get fans, then what? The NCAA says "well its too bad but you're demoted to FCS now". I know the attendance issue is a good way to poke fun at other schools/programs, but at the end of the day, if a school has a low attendance average, it's really only detrimental to that team, and not to anyone else.
    It lowers the value of "being FBS" for the rest of us. There are too many teams pulling SoCon crowds and reporting 20,000 in attendance. When we talk about our program and try to bring in people unfamiliar with Georgia Southern, they see that we're playing G-State and ULM and say "oh, that's not real FBS." When we say that we have impressive, exciting gameday experiences, they look at ULM and say "yeah, I don't think so. They claim to have 17,000 screaming fans and my eyeballs tell me it's more like 700. I don't believe you." It's like getting a bad reputation for associating with the wrong people. It also doesn't help our casual fans get excited. Why should Johnny from Sylvania care about a game against Texas State if the Bobcats don't even care?

Default Re: Rule on home attendance

It's a toothless rule...

The MAC plays the entire month of November on weekdays. Not going to look it up, but I'm sure they have some chronic attendance offenders.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    It's a toothless rule...

The MAC plays the entire month of November on weekdays. Not going to look it up, but I'm sure they have some chronic attendance offenders.
    If the NCAA did try to force anyone down on it, it would wind up in court. They probably feel they're paying enough in legal fees.

4. Default Re: Rule on home attendance

Math is fake news to Gag. Numbers are for others..... People smart enough to not attend college in the middle of an urban war zone

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I thought it was an average of 15k, but over a course of two subsequent seasons.

IIRC, Idaho fell under 15k one season in the SBC and were under pressure to average 15k for the succeeding season.
    It makes sense if it's at least every other year.
    I mean if you had 6 games each year & only averaged 10,000 this year, you'd have to go all the way to 20,000 average the next year to comply with 15k average over two years..... That would be MUCH harder, especially considering that your team is likely down if you only have 10k.

To get away with gast actual attendance, they'd have to average 30k every other year.

I thought the requirement went away after the transition years anyhow.
    Lee Jones
    C/O 2012
    B.M. in Music Ed
    Crawford, Ga
    Section 110

OAS AAS LLS

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    I thought the requirement went away after the transition years anyhow.
    Nope.

Isn't it paid attendance?

So can't they make a deal with a "sponsor" that they get a deal on tickets and get like 1,000 tickets for $20, on top of their sponsorship?

I'm assuming there is some sort of funny ticket game going on with several SBC schools.

Someone that knows more may correct this post... it's just my un-informed opinion.
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

Quote Originally Posted by Hail The Blue View Post
    Isn't it paid attendance?

So can't they make a deal with a "sponsor" that they get a deal on tickets and get like 1,000 tickets for $20, on top of their sponsorship?

I'm assuming there is some sort of funny ticket game going on with several SBC schools.

Someone that knows more may correct this post... it's just my un-informed opinion.
    Even with that, you're talking about 10,000 "fluff tickets" per game in a lot of these cases. That's a whole lot of money over the course of a season. I can't imagine it's an easy sell to solicit a million bucks for the express purpose of covering up how godawful your actual attendance is.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Schools can buy (or bulk sell) their own tickets and count them towards attendance as long as they pay a certain percentage of the a normal minimum priced single game tickets. Akron bought 57 THOUSAND of their own tickets at $10 apiece one year to get their average attendance above minimum requirement since the previous year was so low. Their average home attendance was about 9k at the time.
    This is part of what GA State does as they "gift" recent alumni a set of tickets.