TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 292

Thread: Satterfield to Louisville?

  1. #71

    Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    Quote Originally Posted by tailgating fool View Post
    Your theory sounds spot on, but if you really believe it, you'd buy him a beer truck.
    LOL. I literally started with "a beer", then went back and made it a case.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

  2. Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Number of times I've heard someone say a G5 team won't make the playoff: 3,923
    Number of times I've heard convincing evidence: 0

    Houston could've done it in 2016 if they had taken care of business in conference games. Boise could've done it in 2009 if the CFP had been around back then. UCF is just not a top-4 team. If they were in the SEC they'd be 8-4 at best.
    Tell me one G5 since the playoff started that was better than either of the 4 teams in the playoff? For everyone that went to the Clemson game, you seen first at the difference in talent level.

  3. #73

    Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    It will be interesting to see how Appy performs today with all the rumors flying around about their HC.

  4. #74

    Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Appy performs today with all the rumors flying around about their HC.
    +1. I remember how it affected us when everyone knew that CPJ was leaving.

  5. #75

    Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I don't know if you'll find it convincing, but the fact is that the best any team can ever do is to go undefeated with the schedule that they have that year, so -- under the current state of FBS football -- you have to have 3 highly unlikely things coincide in a given year for it to be possible:

    1. There has to be an extraordinarily strong G5 team put on the field somewhere - one that is legitimately top 5% (not talking about polls, talking about actually being one of the top 5% of teams in the country). Likelihood in a given year: 1 in 10 (generously)

    2. That team has to somehow fortuitously have an especially strong schedule that year, which is unlikely because they are by definition in a G5 conference and their OOC games would all have to be against ranked opponents. Likelihood in a given year: 1 in 5 (generously)

    3. They have to actually beat everyone on their schedule, which is somewhat of an anomaly in itself (even though UCF has done it twice now), as even the best teams usually end up underperforming at some point during the season and laying one stinker. A G5 won't get a second bite at the apple like UGA after a loss to anyone. Likelihood in a given year: 1 in 5 (generously)

    -and all of that has to happen at the same time Likelihood in a given year: 1 in 250

    -and then the committee still has to subjectively buy in to them. Likelihood: 1 in whatever, but not likely

    So, while there's no rule that says they can't get in, the odds are long enough that it's practical to say "never", and that's before the subjectivity of the committee comes into play.

    So, even when a UCF or a Boise comes along every few years with an argument that they are legit, their schedules are only strong enough to potentially support that claim every few years, and if those two things should happen to coincide, you've still got to perform up to your potential flawlessly throughout the course of the year -- something very few teams ever do over a given season.

    I'll buy you a case of beer if it ever happens in a 4-team playoff.
    The way UCF has been treated and viewed the last two seasons should convince any G5 homer. Now your post leaves that glimmer of hope that it could happen. The first time a G5 team plays for a NC is when they will have two separate FBS NC's, one for P5's and one for G5's. Current system is rigged and they will never expand playoffs to the point where each season a G5 team is part of it. P5's have no intention of allowing their "boat" to be rocked.

  6. #76

    Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    Tell me one G5 since the playoff started that was better than either of the 4 teams in the playoff? For everyone that went to the Clemson game, you seen first at the difference in talent level.
    There is a difference in saying "a G5 will never make the playoffs because they can't get lots of 4 and 5-star players" and saying "a G5 will never make the playoffs because the CFP committee will keep them out no matter how well they do".

    The former is definitely a very real obstacle (although Tom Herman showed he could beat multiple top-10 teams by double digits at Houston and Chris Petersen beat a Pac-12 champ and absolutely ran through BSU's conference in 2009), but I don't buy into the latter.

    If UCF wants to get into the CFP they need to get over their megalomania and play some top programs (not Pitt and Maryland) even if it means taking a paycheck. I've seen absolutely nothing from them that makes me think they're a top-4.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 1st December 2018 at 09:12 AM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    REgardling football Scheduling.

  7. Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I don't know if you'll find it convincing, but the fact is that the best any team can ever do is to go undefeated with the schedule that they have that year, so -- under the current state of FBS football -- you have to have 3 highly unlikely things coincide in a given year for it to be possible:

    1. There has to be an extraordinarily strong G5 team put on the field somewhere - one that is legitimately top 5% (not talking about polls, talking about actually being one of the top 5% of teams in the country). Likelihood in a given year: 1 in 10 (generously)

    2. That team has to somehow fortuitously have an especially strong schedule that year, which is unlikely because they are by definition in a G5 conference and their OOC games would all have to be against ranked opponents. Likelihood in a given year: 1 in 5 (generously)

    3. They have to actually beat everyone on their schedule, which is somewhat of an anomaly in itself (even though UCF has done it twice now), as even the best teams usually end up underperforming at some point during the season and laying one stinker. A G5 won't get a second bite at the apple like UGA after a loss to anyone. Likelihood in a given year: 1 in 5 (generously)

    -and all of that has to happen at the same time Likelihood in a given year: 1 in 250

    -and then the committee still has to subjectively buy in to them. Likelihood: 1 in whatever, but not likely

    So, while there's no rule that says they can't get in, the odds are long enough that it's practical to say "never", and that's before the subjectivity of the committee comes into play.

    So, even when a UCF or a Boise comes along every few years with an argument that they are legit, their schedules are only strong enough to potentially support that claim every few years, and if those two things should happen to coincide, you've still got to perform up to your potential flawlessly throughout the course of the year -- something very few teams ever do over a given season.

    I'll buy you a case of beer if it ever happens in a 4-team playoff.
    To add to that, with the current G5 scheduling philosophy of 1-P5, 2-G5, 1-FCS that many(if not most) G5 teams follow, you will most likely never get the strength of schedule needed, although playing and beating a top program (UGA, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc.) would go a long way. An independent like Army of BYU can do it (UCF would be in now with a 12-0 record using BYU's schedule).
    Last edited by ga southern eagles; 1st December 2018 at 09:15 AM.

  8. Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    There is a difference in saying "a G5 will never make the playoffs because they can't get lots of 4 and 5-star players" and saying "a G5 will never make the playoffs because the CFP committee will keep them out no matter how well they do".

    The former is definitely a very real obstacle (although Tom Herman showed he could beat multiple top-10 teams by double digits at Houston and Chris Petersen beat a Pac-12 champ and absolutely ran through BSU's conference in 2009), but I don't buy into the latter.

    If UCF wants to get into the CFP they need to get over their megalomania and play some top programs (not Pitt and Maryland) even if it means taking a paycheck. I've seen absolutely nothing from them that makes me think they're a top-4.
    You obviously havent read up on that subject. AD Danny White has said he has tried for the last few years to schedule home and homes with bigger teams and they wont do it. Its no different here. He also said he refuses to play neutral site games where the officiating crew is from the conference of the team they are playing against. P5 schools want to control all the aspects. I don't blame him one bit. Its complete BS. Its hard to enough to beat them with the talent advantage, almost impossible with the officiating crew as well

  9. Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    This all comes down to money. UGA vs Okie last year in Rose bowl and it sold out. There was probably 40k-50k UGA fans there. Name a G5 team that even averages that at home. Had it been UCF, at most they bring 25k-30k. Also, dont think for one minute ratings aren't thought either. CFB is all about money these days.

  10. #80

    Default Re: Satterfield to Louisville?

    Quote Originally Posted by ga southern eagles View Post
    To add to that, with the current G5 scheduling philosophy of 1-P5, 2-G5, 1-FCS that many(if not most) G5 teams follow, you will most likely never get the strength of schedule needed, although playing and beating a top program (UGA, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc.) would go a long way. An independent like Army of BYU can do it (UCF would be in now with a 12-0 record using BYU's schedule).
    This illustrates my point: UCF potentially has the team this year, but BYU has the schedule, and the chances that one program has both the team AND the schedule in a given year (AND doesn’t choke at any point throughout the year) are vanishingly remote.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Similar Threads

  1. Summers & Satterfield
    By bteagles11 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 8th December 2016, 05:07 PM
  2. LOUISVILLE REGIONAL
    By sportsperson1983 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 31st May 2014, 12:38 AM
  3. UGA DC Grantham to Louisville
    By eagle95 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th January 2014, 07:33 PM
  4. FIU vs Louisville
    By 1saveagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th September 2011, 12:06 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •