TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: FB Game Thread - Eagles vs Panthers

Default Re: FB Game Thread - Eagles vs Panthers

That was the coldest game I've been to. I didn't bring nearly a thick enough jacket, I had to walk around constantly in the second half to stay warm.

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    Would you consider Paul Johnson the right person calling the plays? For all of the flexbone proponents, why does Tech not win the ACC every year? Is it his stubbornness? I love the flex, but it is not a cure-all. We are on the verge of 10 wins and people are still calling for the flex. I don’t know that we get to where we are this year with the flex. We won 7 games in the SoCon our last year in the flex. Albeit, with a lot of experimentation from Monken and crew.
    Put Paul Johnson almost anywhere else other than where he is and no telling how good his offense could be. I still think the quarterback running the "flex" should be a better passer than it seems Coach Johnson is comfortable with, but I would love to see him at a school with the resources available to compete with the Alabama's, the Clemson's, the Ohio State's, the Georgia's etc. Tech will probably never have the defensive talent that will give them a chance to be a top 15 program year in year out and the O linemen that can stay in school elsewhere probably won't end up at Tech. Gotta have both those components if you want to compete with the best.

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    Would you consider Paul Johnson the right person calling the plays? For all of the flexbone proponents, why does Tech not win the ACC every year? Is it his stubbornness? I love the flex, but it is not a cure-all. We are on the verge of 10 wins and people are still calling for the flex. I donít know that we get to where we are this year with the flex. We won 7 games in the SoCon our last year in the flex. Albeit, with a lot of experimentation from Monken and crew.
    I could have told you the academic excuse was coming. As if they are the only FBS team with any kind of academic standards.

An appeal for assistance to anyone that can help. Left my GS blanket at the game yesterday. Was a gift from a dear friend. If someone might have picked it up after or if there is any Lost & Found available, please let me know - would gladly cover any shipping costs. I will post this a couple other places too
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by gritzblitz56 View Post
    My point is that there is a significant percentage here that will only accept one particular type of offense. More accurately, one particular play in that one particular offense. It's a phenomenon that I have never encountered with any other fanbase.

We don't have to do it exactly like we did it 30 years ago to be successful.
    Its not that I can't except the Pistol Option but I was at GSC when Jonson installed it his Spread Option under Erk. After winning the 1985, 86, being in the playoffs every year, a 15-0 NC in 1989 and Erk winning 82% of his 1aa games. I was hooked.

Then PJ turned the team around in 1997 going to the playoffs all 5 years he was At Southern, playing for 3 NCs and winning 2, winning 86% of his games.

Even Sewac had a 7.14% winning record 35-14 but could not when his playoff games
    Monken turned the program around after VanGorder and Hatcher.

Fritz came in and blew the SunBelt apart using his Pistol Option, I was Thankfull and he did a great job.

At 9-3 the Pistol Option with HC Lunsford shows potential again. If he can show consistancy with it over the next 3 years I'll be a convert.

Southern offensive stats against State -

3rd downs 8 of 13
    Total yards 381
    Rushing yards 276
    Passing yards 105
    Rushing Plays 41 @ 6.1 per rush
    Passing 8 of 11 for 9.5yards
    Time of possession 28:58
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    I could have told you the academic excuse was coming. As if they are the only FBS team with any kind of academic standards.
    Each school has standards. English is English, History is History, etc., Walt3412.

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    Put Paul Johnson almost anywhere else other than where he is and no telling how good his offense could be. I still think the quarterback running the "flex" should be a better passer than it seems Coach Johnson is comfortable with, but I would love to see him at a school with the resources available to compete with the Alabama's, the Clemson's, the Ohio State's, the Georgia's etc. Tech will probably never have the defensive talent that will give them a chance to be a top 15 program year in year out and the O linemen that can stay in school elsewhere probably won't end up at Tech. Gotta have both those components if you want to compete with the best.
    I agree, as offensive coordinator under Erk, he won, He did well as Offensive Coordinator at Hawaii and took them the their first bowl. He went to NAVY as OC and won and when he left they fell apart. He came to Southern as HC and won 86% of his games. He then became HC of Navy and turned that program around. The only place PJ has been inconsistent is GT. Both NAVY and Army use the PJ system with coaches that were under him and have done well. I would have loved to see PJ at a place like Nebraska years ago. I will admit from 1997 - 2001 he had some of the finest offensive players Southern has ever had.

*Even HC Fritz at Tulane after 3 years is 15 - 21 and he had a fine record before he went there!

***** Like I said, I could be a Pistol Option convert if I can see consistency the next 3 years.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Why are we talking about Paul Johnson and the flex? Still. In this thread. Why?

Just to piss you off, Mikey. Scram.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

10. Default Re: FB Game Thread - Eagles vs Panthers

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    Why are we talking about Paul Johnson and the flex? Still. In this thread. Why?
    I think posters just throw out anti flex rhetoric just to see how long they can side track a thread. Itís like those forwarded emails from back in the day, letís just see how long this will go on and how it will change!

Now back to the thread, great win for the program. Didnít think we would be looking at getting 10 wins this season but couldnít be happier. We have a competent coaching staff and with a little continuity 2019 should be fun.