TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: FB Game Thread - Eagles vs Panthers

Default Re: FB Game Thread - Eagles vs Panthers

Quote Originally Posted by gritzblitz56 View Post
    My favorite part is when a bunch of people who have never called a play in their lives complain about playcalling all day long. Or complaining that we aren't running the same plays that Paul Johnson drew up 30 years ago.
    Those play calls from 30 years ago are why you have your avatar
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

2. Default Re: FB Game Thread - Eagles vs Panthers

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    My point is that there is a significant percentage here that will only accept one particular type of offense. More accurately, one particular play in that one particular offense. It's a phenomenon that I have never encountered with any other fanbase.

We don't have to do it exactly like we did it 30 years ago to be successful.

If the flexbone is so great, how come the Patriots don't use it?

The flex can spring you an upset now and then sure, but you are so limited on offense and recruiting running that system. The gun option that we run brings much more variety and you can get some big time athletes in that system much easier. I’d argue Darion Anderson is a better receiver than anyone on Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    They flex the rules, that sorta counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    The main reason is because in the "flex" the quarterback takes more hits. Owners of professional football teams don't want to see their "money men" taking hits, period. Professional quarterbacks in the NFL make good money. Owners don't want to see these bucks go to somebody who isn't on the field playing at close to 100 percent.

This is the same reason the mantra for quarterbacks in the NFL over the years has been to stay in the pocket and throw the ball even when routes aren't open rather than taking the 3 or 4 yards on the ground when available and may be necessary to keep drives alive. This has changed somewhat in recent years with the slide rule, but in a closed shop old attitudes die hard when the money's been pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    Yep. The same offensive playbook Georgia Southern used in 1985 or 1986 would be prolific today with the right people calling the plays and the right people executing the plays if a coaching staff had a mind to use it. Sure would be fun to see that offensive production out of "The Georgia Power Company" again.

And not just 1985 or 1986. Check out 1989, 1998, 1999, 2004, and others. It works very well no question.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Wanted the shutout
    I wanted the win and am happy to get it glad to see the offense get cranked up again! Sat in the front row near Bass and our Mascot yesterday. Bass was staying loose and warmed up all afternoon ready when needed sure glad we have him and many others too. My second Southern vs state game last time was in 2014 at the Dome 69-31 indoors just a tad bit warmer and 200 more yards of offense but I'm sure thankful to beat the Panthers after three years of losing. Sure feels good to win 9 games again who knows maybe the Eagles can win one more!

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    Yep. The same offensive playbook Georgia Southern used in 1985 or 1986 would be prolific today with the right people calling the plays and the right people executing the plays if a coaching staff had a mind to use it. Sure would be fun to see that offensive production out of "The Georgia Power Company" again.

And not just 1985 or 1986. Check out 1989, 1998, 1999, 2004, and others. It works very well no question.
    Would you consider Paul Johnson the right person calling the plays? For all of the flexbone proponents, why does Tech not win the ACC every year? Is it his stubbornness? I love the flex, but it is not a cure-all. We are on the verge of 10 wins and people are still calling for the flex. I don’t know that we get to where we are this year with the flex. We won 7 games in the SoCon our last year in the flex. Albeit, with a lot of experimentation from Monken and crew.

Quote Originally Posted by CJAK View Post
    Would you consider Paul Johnson the right person calling the plays? For all of the flexbone proponents, why does Tech not win the ACC every year? Is it his stubbornness? I love the flex, but it is not a cure-all. We are on the verge of 10 wins and people are still calling for the flex. I don’t know that we get to where we are this year with the flex. We won 7 games in the SoCon our last year in the flex. Albeit, with a lot of experimentation from Monken and crew.
    You not kidding lots of experimenting by Monken went to the Wofford game what a mess.