TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 14 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ark State Game Thoughts

Default Ark State Game Thoughts

1. Stating the obvious here, but even though Ark State gave us some breaks, the defense was great. I doubt there's any receivers in the Sun Belt that Brinson and Vildor can't handle. The only offense for the rest of the season that's better than Ark State's that will face is App's, so it should keep us in games.

2. In spite of the bad production in the first half, we averaged just under 7.9 yards per play. Hard to really complain about the offense overall

3. On the other hand, we had 52 plays to Ark State's 87. Would it be possible to pick up the pace a little bit?

4. I don't get our play-calling sometimes,and I would like to emphasize sometimes. I'm surprised that we only threw the ball three times. That's very Monken-esque that when you have an open receiver and don't hit him you just say "screw it, I'm not throwing anymore". Same thing with that tight end pass over the middle against Clemson.

5. In case you people watching ESPN+ couldn't hear it, the crowd was deafening at times. Probably caused a critical false start by Ark State. Also, leaving the game and hearing the students talk about how much fun it was is really nice to overhear. Those are the kind of games where lifetime fans are born (e.g. 2005 Furman).

6. I'm still not getting the Werts skepticism and/or bashing. He's really doing good and might very well be both the best and most important player on offense. On 3rd and 8 or 10 situations, IMO Werts needs to be rolling out instead of just sitting back there in the pocket. He would be a lot more dangerous. He basically converted that 3rd and 15 (?) before it was negated as a penalty because he escaped the pocket.

7. Disappointed with the penalties, but maybe this game will just be an outlier. Officiating sure seemed questionable at times.

8. The season so far should pretty much remove any doubt that our problem in 2016 and 2017 was almost entirely coaching. I'm hardly ready to pencil in the first Saturday of December for the SBC championship, but this team could very well top 8 wins if we avoid injuries at key positions. I'm not expecting a great deal from the OL after basically losing 2 starters for the season or the receivers after David Dean raided the position, but probably every other position is fine.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 29th September 2018 at 09:54 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Default Re: Ark State Game Thoughts

I still don’t get the play calling. The outside was there from the start but we waited forever to go to it. They overpursued from the start but we waited 59 minutes and 30 seconds to make them pay. They played press coverage with zero safety help and not one time did we try and beat them deep on the outside.

Defense is LEGIT. If the offense could give them some help early on then they could be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I still don’t get the play calling. The outside was there from the start but we waited forever to go to it. They overpursued from the start but we waited 59 minutes and 30 seconds to make them pay. They played press coverage with zero safety help and not one time did we try and beat them deep on the outside.

Defense is LEGIT. If the offense could give them some help early on then they could be great.
    Agree completely. Outside runs and pitches are there and have been there all season so far, even against Clemson. Dont be afraid!!!
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

It seemed as if Debesse was patiently trying to set up the bigger plays, but unfortunately the plays he was using TO set them up were very unsuccessful. As a result we had a lot of 3 and outs where it looked like we were incompetent again. The one he did that was successful was when We ran the Kennedy in motion outside option play multiple times with success, then come out in the same formation, same motion and it looked like a designed give. Result? Fields big run in the 3rd (?) quarter.

I agree about not throwing the ball. I think that was there if we had tried it more. Also I wish he hadnít rolled Shai out to his left on that first down backed up by our own endzone. I would have preferred to roll him to his right so itís an easier throw and also there was more field that he could take off running on if it was there.

I was super annoyed that we kept running Fields up the middle for 2 yards when we clearly had the outside for 8 yards a pop every time. Overall our offense is starting to hum, we would have most likely scored more in the first half if not for the penalties. As I said in another thread, I think Werts is really settling in and is playing well, I donít understand the negativity he faces bc he is really starting to put it all together. I love how we are including Kennedy more and more, he is going to be huge for us if we keep involving him enough. Defense is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUcoastie09 View Post
    I was super annoyed that we kept running Fields up the middle for 2 yards when we clearly had the outside for 8 yards a pop every time. Overall our offense is starting to hum, we would have most likely scored more in the first half if not for the penalties. As I said in another thread, I think Werts is really settling in and is playing well, I don’t understand the negativity he faces bc he is really starting to put it all together. I love how we are including Kennedy more and more, he is going to be huge for us if we keep involving him enough. Defense is superb.
    Could it be that those 2 yard runs up the middle is why the outside was so open? I didn’t love the way the offense was called, but if we throw it around with no success or throw an int against this team the game could gets away from us quickly.

My thoughts:

1) 28>21
    2) We may well match or exceed our past 2 season win total in this season
    3) Iíd hate to be a folding chair in the Boro tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    Could it be that those 2 yard runs up the middle is why the outside was so open? I didn’t love the way the offense was called, but if we throw it around with no success or throw an int against this team the game could gets away from us quickly.

No those 2 yard runs are not why the outside was so open. The outside was open because they had everybody including the trainers in the box and the 2 yard runs were because we kept running into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Game went exactly as I thought close win. Thank goodness for the bye week. The D is real knew it after Clemson for sure. 38-7 had more to do with us not moving the ball and two gift TDís. The OL is still bad but DeBesse does have the ability to pull a play out when needed. Maybe Iím not giving the ArkSt d line enough credit but Iím noticing a few players specifically that need to step up. Shai is better than last year no doubt but still has some more gears to shift up to. Some head scratching running plays right into the teeth of a loaded box. My best guess is to keep them honest? Wes Kennedy is the truth and so is our DB core. App and Troy are clearly leading the Belt but we are closing the gap now.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUcoastie09 View Post
    I was super annoyed that we kept running Fields up the middle for 2 yards when we clearly had the outside for 8 yards a pop every time. Overall our offense is starting to hum, we would have most likely scored more in the first half if not for the penalties. As I said in another thread, I think Werts is really settling in and is playing well, I don’t understand the negativity he faces bc he is really starting to put it all together. I love how we are including Kennedy more and more, he is going to be huge for us if we keep involving him enough. Defense is superb.
    Guys, that play is the equivalent of the B back dive. We NEED to consistently try to establish that play to ensure that the outside stays open. That play is supposed to get 3 or 4 yards per run, but our OLine doesn’t get the push it’s supposed to, hence Fields running into a wall all season. The play is still doing what it’s supposed to do overall by getting the defense to creep into the box, we’re just not getting the yards we want from it. That play isn’t going away ever, even if we don’t gain any yards from it.