TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a believer yet?

Default Re: Are you a believer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by hambone View Post
    Seriously? You're not convinced we've "turned a corner"? We turned a corner the moment Tyson Summers was relieved of his duties and we're absolutely, most definitely, without a hint of doubt, heading in the opposite direction now. We're improved in all areas of the game, we're 2-0 and we just dominated a team that whipped out fannies last year. Come on, Doc! We've turned!
    I think you'd have to be blind to not think our coaching is a lot better. He might be just wondering if the staff is going to be just competent, good or great. I'm pretty hopeful it'll be good, but we'll probably have to wait a couple of seasons to know for sure.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

With the talent we're able to recruit, competent coaching should keep us in the top tier of the conference year in and year out.
    I think, with what we've seen so far (limited sample size, for sure...) that we should be playing in a bowl game at year's end. Not sure we're ready to challenge for the conference yet (but never count us out!). Next year, with another year of experience and a year of being coached by a staff that has a clue, the Eagles should be competing for the conference championship. And they should be able to do that each year following, considering Coach Lunsford's track record so far with recruiting.
    In short, it looks like the dark days of Summers are behind us finally.
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I think you'd have to be blind to not think our coaching is a lot better. He might be just wondering if the staff is going to be just competent, good or great. I'm pretty hopeful it'll be good, but we'll probably have to wait a couple of seasons to know for sure.
    Sure, but he didn't say it'll take two or three more games (or seasons) to show that we have a competent/good/great staff. He said he needs to see more to be convinced we've "turned a corner". I'd assert the evidence is overwhelming that, no matter how you define "corner turning", we have unequivocally done it.

Quote Originally Posted by hambone View Post
    Sure, but he didn't say it'll take two or three more games (or seasons) to show that we have a competent/good/great staff. He said he needs to see more to be convinced we've "turned a corner". I'd assert the evidence is overwhelming that, no matter how you define "corner turning", we have unequivocally done it.
    A lot of people refuse to accept anything less than something like what we did in 2014 to be what we should do every year, so it would take that level of performance to say that we're better.

But yes, turning a corner implies that we've stopped our skid and started moving in the right direction. There is very obvious improvements in all aspects of the program.

Are we where we want to be? No. Are we closer than where we were under Summers? Definitely.

Constant improvement is the best thing these coaches can deliver. So far that's what we've been seeing.

When GS goes into a conference contender's house and does what UGA did to South Carolina, what GS used to do to people.

That said, whoever the unidentified coach in (I think it was) Lindy's who said GS's problem was cultural looked like he had it right.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    That said, whoever the unidentified coach in (I think it was) Lindy's who said GS's problem was cultural looked like he had it right.
    I don't know how anyone could think anything else when you look at what Summers did with our 2016 roster.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

I just hope we can keep the same staff together for more than 2-3 years. It seems like if there is the smallest glimmer of success here we lose the coach, meanwhile App has had their same coach for 5-6 years straight.

Here is what I know when looking at Fritz, Lunsford, Lunsford (P2)*, Summers:
    *Lunsford P2 is since the USA game last year.

Offense PPG:
    Fritz - 37.72
    Lunsford (P2) - 34.8
    Lunsford - 26.6
    Summers - 23.7

Defensive PPG:
    Lunsford (P2) - 14.2
    Lunsford - 19.62
    Fritz - 23.48
    Summers - 31.4

Those numbers will change some since Lunsford has yet to play a P5 team, BUT the improvement is obvious - we are closer to what we used to be under Fritz than closer to what we were under Summers.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum

9. Default Re: Are you a believer yet?

Then I saw them play, now I'm a believer.
    Not a trace of doubt in my mind.
    I'm in love, I'm a believer, I couldn't leave Eagles if I tried!

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    When GS goes into a conference contender's house and does what UGA did to South Carolina, what GS used to do to people.

Good programs with access to all the local talent in the world you will ever need just need their AD not to make horrific coaching hires (SEE GS). Bad or growing programs and or programs with limited access to local talent need their AD's to make homerun or really really good hires. (SEE WMU)
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.