TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erk Russell Retirement Speech Date

Default Erk Russell Retirement Speech Date

Hey everyone, this is Bryan in the Athletics Communications Office. We have a request for a project that needs the date of Erk Russell’s retirement speech. We talked to people who were there, but no one can remember the date and the video doesn’t have the date. Even if we could confirm the MONTH, we’d take that.

If anyone has anything they can pass along to help us along, it’d be awesome!

Thank you all for being a great fan base! #GATA

Default Re: Erk Russell Retirement Speech Date

I know he announced his retirement on December 20th 1989 and stowers was next to him taking over the head coaching position. This was 4 days after the championship game. But as the famous speech, not sure. Was he at a football banquet?
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

http://www.savannahnow.com/news-spor...orgia-southern

This article has a picture in it that says May 29, 1990 that looks like it is from the dinner.

Someone has already asked me this earlier today and this was the best link to a date that I could find.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Yes, to clarify, we’re looking for the date of the famous speech where he was in a tux, not the press conference. All help and leads are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by GSAthletics View Post
    Yes, to clarify, we’re looking for the date of the famous speech where he was in a tux, not the press conference. All help and leads are appreciated!
    I would suggest following up with Savannah Morning News regarding the picture in the article I linked above. I was at the dinner and that picture looks like it was taken that night.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    I would suggest following up with Savannah Morning News regarding the picture in the article I linked above. I was at the dinner and that picture looks like it was taken that night.
    If it is he would have had to take off the boutineer or however you spell it...

I've recently spoken to someone I trust who I know will get the date. He is researching it. Be patient.

For the record, the speech Erk delivered that night is NOT the first time he made those comments. I had heard it before at least in parts, if not in its entirety. Perhaps as early as 83 on Rousakis Plaza on River Street when Erk spoke to a crowd of people there. I have a picture from that day, but I couldn't swear that he used any of parts of the 'retirement speech' that early on. But even in my feeble age-addled state I remember those phrases being used.

Not that anybody cares......
    Last edited by eaglebean; 28th July 2018 at 02:49 PM.
    "It's supposed to be fun, the man says 'Play ball!', not 'Work ball!' you know" - Willie Stargell

Rick Bean
    BBA Management
    Class of 1981

Quote Originally Posted by eaglebean View Post
    I've recently spoken to someone I trust who I know will get the date. He is researching it. Be patient.

For the record, the speech Erk delivered that night is NOT the first time he made those comments. I had heard it before at least in parts, if not in its entirety. Perhaps as early as 83 on Rousakis Plaza on River Street when Erk spoke to a crowd of people there. I have a picture from that day, but I couldn't swear that he used any of parts of the 'retirement speech' that early on. But even in my feeble age-addled state I remember those phrases being used.

Not that anybody cares......
    I care Rick....

I care, also. I have spoken with Frank Hook and given him the date as recorded in my 1990 calendar (along with a few other tidbits!). Sometimes O/C syndrome pays off!

Ms. blueapple