TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 'Matching Gift Challenge'

Default Re: 'Matching Gift Challenge'

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    The problem isn't the fans. The problem is the lack of fans. There's only going to be a small percentage of any fan base that gives and that doesn't change a whole lot. UGA draws five times as many people to a spring game as GS did to the highest attended game in school history, or 50 times as many as a spring game. If only 1-2% of each base donates, well.....one looks terrible in comparison when the money is added up. Best friend from home is a UGA alumnus that is a CFO, gets UGA season tickets every year, and organizes at least one big tailgate every year (which I politely decline to attend) but doesn't give a dime as a donor.....ever. There's nothing special about their fan base, there's just too damn many of them.

I love GS but GS is small time. It will take continued winning to bring more fans on board, and it'll still be only one or two givers out of every new 100 fans. Sure there's the good season feel good once and dones but there's the pouty "no one from athletics stroked me so I'm done" to cancel them out. Can't really expect more of the existing fan base to step up continuously because it just doesn't happen. Would be nice though.

Take out three families and it's under $90k given by the rest so far. Every bit is appreciated. Even the smallest givers are doing something the vast majority of fans are not.

I've got to put down herbicide this fall. One bag treats 2000 square feet and has about 1% active ingredient. I need to treat at least ten times that much grass. Now I reckon I can go cheap and spread that one bag out and scream at it and say most of the bag isn't doing anything, and I can beg it to treat the whole yard. I might call the manufacturer and ask why I'm paying for 99% inactive carrier. In the end I imagine I'm gonna have to get ten more bags though.
    We have fans, the issues is our giving rate is nowhere near the other schools. Not sure how much has changed but the national average is like 30% give back, ours was like 10%. Keel or someone with the school did a study a few years back and those were the results. I know other posters saw/read/heard this so please correct me if I am wrong.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Best friend from home is a UGA alumnus that is a CFO, gets UGA season tickets every year, and organizes at least one big tailgate every year (which I politely decline to attend) but doesn't give a dime as a donor.....ever.
    Just curious about this part. I don’t know anything about uga season tickets, but do they have seats available without donation? I’d assume there’s such demand for their tickets that they’d all require a donation. Seats that don’t are the worst, and not befitting a CFO. Or by no donation did you just mean no additional donations above those required for tickets, like never giving to ugas equivalent of our matching gift challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    We have fans, the issues is our giving rate is nowhere near the other schools. Not sure how much has changed but the national average is like 30% give back, ours was like 10%. Keel or someone with the school did a study a few years back and those were the results. I know other posters saw/read/heard this so please correct me if I am wrong.
    Yeah, I remember that and remember being told our average was well below peer schools, and I'm pretty sure this was right toward the tail end of our FCS days. We were barely holding our own against THOSE guys. And the only reason our revenue/budget has increased is mostly because of student fees and money games... certainly not due to a big increase in giving.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

If a read the chart correctly, it's $550 donation to get on the waitlist. You need 24,000 minimum priority points.

http://thegeorgiabulldogclub.com/upl...d_Brochure.pdf

5. Default Re: 'Matching Gift Challenge'

If a read the chart correctly, it's $550 donation to get on the waitlist. You need 24,000 minimum priority points.

Yeah, there's no way this guy buys season tix through UGA with 0 donation.

I believe both your set of numbers are way high...both other schools and ours. We are slightly below average...but the percentages are way off.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    I believe both your set of numbers are way high...both other schools and ours. We are slightly below average...but the percentages are way off.
    Thank you. So it's not as bad difference wise than I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    Yeah, there's no way this guy buys season tix through UGA with 0 donation.
    Y'all are missing the point. I don't know the details of what it costs or what tickets he has. He's had season tickets pretty much since graduating 20 years ago. I was simply giving an example of someone who is a FAN with the ways and means but does the bare minimum.

US News & World Report ranked over 1100 schools in alumni giving in 2017 and the average was about 11%. The Alumni Factor found that 48 of the top 50 schools in % giving back had enrollments under 10k and "Finally, of the 71 schools in our database with more than 10,000 undergraduates, there are only nine schools among the Top 100 for alumni giving that achieve an alumni giving rate of 15% or greater. These schools are well known, popular universities that, despite being very large, generate high levels of alumni support and correspondingly high revenue from alumni giving. These nine schools each have a unique advantage that allows them to counter the penalty of size. Three of them are Ivy League schools (Cornell, Penn and Harvard) whose gold-plated reputations help them offset large student body size. The rest all share another trait – that magic combination of a strong academic reputation and a high-profile athletic program."