TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 119

Thread: Troy game...

  1. Default Troy game...

    I'm curious.

    I have seen speculation that our players kind of did their own thing against Troy. I got the feeling that this might have happened (I was at that game.)

    Anyone know whether that really happened or whether it's just rumor? Any way to tell?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Troy game...

    That is the rumor for the Coach Summers detractors. Heaven forbid they give him credit for a good win.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

  3. #3

    Default Re: Troy game...

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    That is the rumor for the Coach Summers detractors. Heaven forbid they give him credit for a good win.

    well seeing as how that game plan seemed different than any other game plan last season, it's not hard to see why people would think that. I mean, hell, against GT and Ole Miss we had drives that were really successful running all true option plays, but as soon as it started clicking, it was as if someone on the coaching staff said, "this option thing is working way too well, let's go back to a mundane offensive style."

  4. #4

    Default Re: Troy game...

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    That is the rumor for the Coach Summers detractors. Heaven forbid they give him credit for a good win.
    And usually a sore subject for the Coach Summers apologists. Heaven forbid he get any criticism for a bad year.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post

    well seeing as how that game plan seemed different than any other game plan last season, it's not hard to see why people would think that. I mean, hell, against GT and Ole Miss we had drives that were really successful running all true option plays, but as soon as it started clicking, it was as if someone on the coaching staff said, "this option thing is working way too well, let's go back to a mundane offensive style."
    I hate to be a conspiracy theorist on this, but it sure certainly felt that way at times, especially during the Troy game.
    "I've seen more heat in an Easy Bake Oven, Meat!"

    Carlton Stewart
    c/o 2010, CIT
    Eagle fan since 1999
    Bronze Eagle since 2011
    North Augusta, South Carolina

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    8,396

    Default Re: Troy game...

    OK, so let's say you're a head coach and it's the last game of the season. Which is more likely - You go through your week of preparations and game planning and have a scheme set up for Saturday. Saturday comes along and each time your OC sends in a formation and a play the QB takes it upon himself to change said formation and said play and runs whatever the heck he wants to. Do you A) say oh well I tried and just let the QB defiantly do whatever he wants to do? or do you B) get pissed at the QB, tell him to run the plays you sent in and then take him out of the game if he still continues to do it? I've never met a coach that would just allow a player to ignore him and change plays the entire game without pulling him.

    Or maybe.....just maybe it was the last game of the career of a very good leader and QB who busted his arse all season and played hurt for you and you let him have some fun with the offense and work on the game plan to do something a little different because heaven knows that nothing you have tried thus far has worked.

    The truth is that none of us were in the huddles or the practices that week and truly don't know which one it is. But wait, my sister's brother's cousin was on the front row and heard CTS and KE4 arguing, so KE4 must have been calling his own plays. Most conspiracy theories are just that.....theories.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Posts
    45,389

    Default Re: Troy game...

    So you think the bye week had nothing to do with it? That we just winged an offensive game plan with zero practice? Do you know how many reps it takes to get the timing down in the option offense?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    28,775

    Default Re: Troy game...

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    OK, so let's say you're a head coach and it's the last game of the season. Which is more likely - You go through your week of preparations and game planning and have a scheme set up for Saturday. Saturday comes along and each time your OC sends in a formation and a play the QB takes it upon himself to change said formation and said play and runs whatever the heck he wants to. Do you A) say oh well I tried and just let the QB defiantly do whatever he wants to do? or do you B) get pissed at the QB, tell him to run the plays you sent in and then take him out of the game if he still continues to do it? I've never met a coach that would just allow a player to ignore him and change plays the entire game without pulling him.

    Or maybe.....just maybe it was the last game of the career of a very good leader and QB who busted his arse all season and played hurt for you and you let him have some fun with the offense and work on the game plan to do something a little different because heaven knows that nothing you have tried thus far has worked.

    The truth is that none of us were in the huddles or the practices that week and truly don't know which one it is. But wait, my sister's brother's cousin was on the front row and heard CTS and KE4 arguing, so KE4 must have been calling his own plays. Most conspiracy theories are just that.....theories.

    Not one week of prep, but two weeks of prep. We had a bye the week before Troy.

    The major hole in the "players just did what they want" theory is that we threw something at Troy that day that wasn't on film and they had a very tough time adjusting to it. We put Ty Phillips at TE, basically putting 6 OL on the field and ran a lot of bunch formations. I guess it's possible that Phillips just checked himself into the game and Ellison started drawing up formations and plays in the and but I'm going to doubt it.

    Troy gave up about 4 big plays that day and that was most of our offense. It's not like we moved the ball up and down the field on them all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Troy game...

    Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    That is the rumor for the Coach Summers detractors. Heaven forbid they give him credit for a good win.
    I am not a detractor, but here is what I saw that day. I sit on the front row behind the offense. I saw coaches disengaged and players running the sideline huddles. I saw some jawing between KE and a coach. I watched KE and FU talking to the side before going onto the field each time. It was very strange.
    'Three things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad.' - Darrell Royal

  10. #10

    Default Re: Troy game...

    All I'm going on is my neighbor, a very good friend of mine was at a party after the game, Koo was there along with KE. The topic was brought up that the offense looked different. Both Koo and KE said, A number of plays KE changed while in huddle, not all of them but during the course of game, KE was on his own. I would like to think those 3-4 big plays that were DYNAMIC were KE4 making the "adjustments" cause we sure had very few dynamic plays all season. The Troy game along with our USA game(very early in season), were our 2 best football games.

Similar Threads

  1. Enhance your Troy game experience
    By garns 4 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 30th November 2016, 07:06 AM
  2. Troy Game 11/14 seating
    By southern edumacation in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 9th October 2015, 07:59 AM
  3. Troy Game.................
    By eaglessoar20021 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th August 2015, 08:03 AM
  4. WAY TOO MANY TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR TROY GAME!!!!!
    By GATALoveTheEagles! in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 29th October 2014, 03:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •