TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: What Onside Kicks?

  1. #1

    Default What Onside Kicks?

    I'm going to hate myself for this, but I have find out. What the heck are people talking about when they complain about Fritz doing a bunch of onside kicks? People keep bringing it up and it's pretty annoying but I have to figure out when these alleged onside kicks took place because I don't remember them.

  2. #2

    Default Re: What Onside Kicks?

    Neither do I. I remember Koo putting it through the endzone and thinking it might be better if he didn't.
    I'm not a fan of rugby style punts. I don't think they have enough hang time.
    All in all I think this year's placekicking is the best since Adrian Mora graduated.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I'm going to hate myself for this, but I have find out. What the heck are people talking about when they complain about Fritz doing a bunch of onside kicks? People keep bringing it up and it's pretty annoying but I have to figure out when these alleged onside kicks took place because I don't remember them.
    It is one person bringing it up and a dozen mocking him over it. I don't recall any onside kicks, but that doesn't mean there wasn't any.

  4. #4

    Default Re: What Onside Kicks?

    There was a half whiff/half kick that acted like an onside kick I believe at the end of a half, but I'm not sure it was. I think we were trying to pooch it but hit it weird. Against app maybe, I don't remember. Than's the only kinda on-side kick I can remember.

  5. Default Re: What Onside Kicks?

    Yep.

    There were at least 3.

    I am not sure what Fritz was thinking.

    Y'all didn't watch his show? He actually blamed himself for a poor decision to try one. I don't remember which game it was. We were up by a lot, and I guess he wanted to experiment. He failed.

    (Come on boys-if my dumb *** can see them, you can too. One was almost recovered by us, but it only went 9 yards before our guy jumped on it.) They almost ALWAYS fail in college.

    They weren't attempted in the big games, but I'm not making them up.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What Onside Kicks?

    It was against ULM (2015). It was a botched "squib kick."

    No onside kicks were attempted in 2014 or 2015.

  7. Default Re: What Onside Kicks?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    It was against ULM (2015). It was a botched "squib kick."

    No onside kicks were attempted in 2014 or 2015.



    Funny.

    That's exactly what Fritz called it on his show. I guess he doesn't know either.

    Plus, second paragraph under "The Bad," they use the term synonymously.

    http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/...-come-crashing

    I don't care what you call it. It has the same effect. And Fritz definitely used the term "on-side kick" in his show-and apologized for it being stupid.

    I'm not gonna go and find that show, or dig up the other instances. I'm not making excuses and rationalizing stupid play calling.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    27,242

    Default Re: What Onside Kicks?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Funny.

    That's exactly what Fritz called it on his show. I guess he doesn't know either.

    Plus, second paragraph under "The Bad," they use the term synonymously.

    http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2015/...-come-crashing

    I don't care what you call it. It has the same effect. And Fritz definitely used the term "on-side kick" in his show-and apologized for it being stupid.

    I'm not gonna go and find that show, or dig up the other instances. I'm not making excuses and rationalizing stupid play calling.
    The problem is, that one play is the only example anyone can think of.

    There were plenty of other dumb calls for sure, but that was the only dumb onside kick that anyone can recollect.


  9. Default Re: What Onside Kicks?

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The problem is, that one play is the only example anyone can think of.

    There were plenty of other dumb calls for sure, but that was the only dumb onside kick that anyone can recollect.


    I will have to check with my nephew. He knows all about this stuff. I do know Fritz used that term in the show, and I think it was another game he was referring to.

    People here are saying he NEVER did it. Untrue. I think he did it 3 times. Know he did it at least twice. But I'm not Bob damn Costas. I don't have an eidetic memory for such things.

    I'm no football expert, but something as idiotic as an on-side kick (or pooch squib, or whatever vernacular seems to be popular) really jumps out at me. It was incredibly stupid.

  10. #10

    Default Re: What Onside Kicks?

    As I recall, the play in question was a 'squib kick' that was intended to be kicked as deep as possible but low and rolling so as to not allow much chance at a big return. It just happened to drill a guy on the front line, which almost never happens, and they fell on it. Fritz may not have explicitly corrected the terminology, but the ball was kicked way too hard to have been intended as an 'onside' kick where we hoped to recover it.

    Either way, saying 'onside kicks' are never a good idea is a bit over the top. There are many high school and college teams that use them regularly and effectively and there are game situations for all teams that call for them and some that pretty much require them.

    I don't specifically recall any examples of actual onside kicks.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Similar Threads

  1. Looks like a new rule for onside kicks
    By Dave. in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 21st July 2012, 02:00 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •