TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

  1. Default Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    Our men's teams have pretty much kicked but and taken names in the Belt this year: Football won conference, basketball finished 2nd, golf about to win championship, soccer finished 2nd, and baseball currently in 2nd.

    Our women's sports have been fairly bad or noncompetitive. Basketball and volleyball did not even make the conference tournament. Softball is having a miserable year. We did change our women's basketball coach. Going forward it will be interesting to see if TK is true to his word that he expects every team to compete for Sun Belt championships. If he really means it we could be seeing a number of coaching changes, especially in women's sports

  2. #2

    Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    Lets not lump every team together without first checking the details. The Lady Eagles Soccer Team finished either 3rd or 4th this year in the SunBelt and we're ranked 75th Nationally in Division 1. If you look back to where they have finished over the decade and how they were ranked going into the playoffs, they dI'd far better this year than they have in a long time. They beat the University of Indiana (who they lost to 5-0 last year) played very well against a strong Auburn team and several players received honors for play in the Auburn tournament and the SunBelt Conference playoffs. They lost in the playoffs only to the eventual winner South Alabama. When you consider that the teams that they lost to recruit not just nationally but internationally when Georgia Southern can mostly afford only a few non Georgia based players, I think they did pretty darn well for thier first year. They have much to improve but TK should be pretty happy with the Lady Eagles Soccer Team. Further proof of that is the contract given to their coach after the end of the year. This spring they played University of South Carolina and held th scoreless in the first half amd sxored on them in the second half where home town refs made doing better highly unlikely. They also held Clemson scoreless for 1 half this spring. Both USC and Clemson finished in the top 8 last year overall in the NCAA D1 playoffs. Pretty good for a team that over the past decade usually finished in the bottom quarter of the conference during regular season play! If they are given a bit more flexibility in recruiting, they will continue to do better over the next 3-5 years.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    Quote Originally Posted by TW New Fan View Post
    Lets not lump every team together without first checking the details. The Lady Eagles Soccer Team finished either 3rd or 4th this year in the SunBelt and we're ranked 75th Nationally in Division 1. If you look back to where they have finished over the decade and how they were ranked going into the playoffs, they dI'd far better this year than they have in a long time. They beat the University of Indiana (who they lost to 5-0 last year) played very well against a strong Auburn team and several players received honors for play in the Auburn tournament and the SunBelt Conference playoffs. They lost in the playoffs only to the eventual winner South Alabama. When you consider that the teams that they lost to recruit not just nationally but internationally when Georgia Southern can mostly afford only a few non Georgia based players, I think they did pretty darn well for thier first year. They have much to improve but TK should be pretty happy with the Lady Eagles Soccer Team. Further proof of that is the contract given to their coach after the end of the year. This spring they played University of South Carolina and held th scoreless in the first half amd sxored on them in the second half where home town refs made doing better highly unlikely. They also held Clemson scoreless for 1 half this spring. Both USC and Clemson finished in the top 8 last year overall in the NCAA D1 playoffs. Pretty good for a team that over the past decade usually finished in the bottom quarter of the conference during regular season play! If they are given a bit more flexibility in recruiting, they will continue to do better over the next 3-5 years.
    +1, our only lady bright spot. I also think our ladies golf team is going to be pretty good next season.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    For Women's Soccer, winning the Sun Belt won't necessarily make the team feel great for long..... unfortunately, they usually match the winner of the Sun Belt against Florida State or another similar 1 seed for the NCAA tournament which makes it very difficult to enjoy the Conference win for too long! Someday, with continued progress, we can hope for a win like football over the Gators in the NCAA tournament.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    Every sport goal should be Conferance champs and NCAA''s.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    1+

  7. #7

    Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Every sport goal should be Conferance champs and NCAA''s.
    Rings And Diplomas

  8. Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    Women's soccer was good, but volleyball (did not make tourney), basketball (did not make tourney) and softball (who will go to tourney as 8th seed) were not good this year at all.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebacker View Post
    Women's soccer was good, but volleyball (did not make tourney), basketball (did not make tourney) and softball (who will go to tourney as 8th seed) were not good this year at all.
    How did swim, track, and XC do?

  10. Default Re: Our men''s teams have done much better than our women's teams in the Sun Belt

    Women's cross country finished 10th of 11 women's teams. Outdoor track and field championships are still a couple weeks away. I don't know how swimming did.

Similar Threads

  1. Sun belt bowl teams
    By GATAonemoretime in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10th December 2013, 01:31 AM
  2. Sun Belt vs. Option teams
    By The Demoralizer in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3rd May 2012, 10:00 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •