TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding Access Bowl

Default Question regarding Access Bowl

Not that I'm thinking WE are going to get it, just some clarification on how they determine who goes.

I thought I understood them to say that the Highest Ranked G5 Champion (if bowl eligible) would get the invite.

So, IF that is true.... Where are they getting these rankings from?

The only Rankings I can find beyond the top 25 are the CBS Sports Rankings.
    What rankings would they go by? I know that right now Marshall and Colorado State are ranked in the top 25 in most polls, But they aren't even ranked in the Playoff Poll.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/rankings

Consider if they each lost a game and weren't ranked in any of the other Polls? Who ranks beyond 25?
    The CBS sports rankings don't line up with all the others, for example - They have GT at 26.
    (Note: We are at 37 in that poll).
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...nkings/cbs/128

CUSA:
    It doesn't look like there is anybody left on Marshall's regular season schedule that is likely to beat them.
    Unless this weeks (6-3) CBS Poll #72 Rice can get it done. (2:30PM on FSN) (Only UAB & WKU after that)
    However (7-3)#69 La Tech most likely gets a shot at them in the MAC Championship game.
    What if they lose both or either of those? Honestly - I can see them dropping one or both of these.

The MWC:
    Colorado State (Rank #25 in both the CBSSports and Coach's Poll, # 23 in the AP Poll) would seem to be the shoe in choice.. BUT - THEY CANNOT get to be conference champions unless Boise drops an in conference game. Because (#32)Boise owns the head to head win over them in the MWC-West.

Whoever wins the West, of course has to get by the WMC-East winner in their CCG.
    The front runner for that is (6-3)#43 Navada. That much is almost a lock.
    THEY play #34 (7-2)Air Force (2PM) Saturday. Hope they beat AF.

The MWC-West is bunched all up just in front of us.
    #37 Georgia Southern
    #36 Utah State (7-3)(Losses:TENN,ArkState,#25 CSU) left(NM(3-6),SJST(3-6),#32Boise)
    #34 Air Force (7-2)(Losses:Wyo,UtahState)Games left #43 Navada(6-3),SDGST(3-6),#25 ColoradoSt(9-1)
    #32 Boise State (7-2)(Losses:Miss & #34 AF) Games left SDGST(3-6),Wyoming(4-6),#36 Utah State(7-3)
    #25 Colorado State (9-1) =(Lost #32 Boise) Games left (NM(3-6), #34 AF)

Who will win the West? I hope it is Utah State!
    Air Force is OUT due to 2 MWC-West losses.
    1 Conference loss:Teams
    Utah State:Still has to play Boise.
    Boise: Still hast to play Utah State
    CSU: Still has to play AF.

Barring some crazy upset from a current 3 or 4 win team:
    Boise OR Utah State will finish with 1 Conference Loss.
    IF CSU losses to Air Force - The winner will be one of the above.

So Go Utah State over Boise, Go AF over CSU.
    This sets the stage for thier CCG featuring two 3 loss teams. 1 having a loss to a SBC Team!

That just leaves the MAC: Who I think we should jump if we win out.
    The only threat (NIU) nearly fell Tuesday night when they beat Toledo 27-24.

NIU(8-2) is ranked right in the mix at #35.
    The MAC CCG is almost a lock now to be between NIU and #58 Bowling Green(7-3)
    NIU losses are to (4-5)Arkansas & (6-4)C.Michigan. They have only (5-5)Ohio and (6-3)W.Michigan left.
    We need them to beat Ohio, but lose to W.Michigan (Who we play next year in Paulson)
    I think W. Michigan can beat them. Most of NIU's wins have not been impressive.
    W.Michigan beat Idaho 45-33. We beat Idaho 47-24. I'm just saying to say that W.Mich's offense has been impressive at times.

So.... How do they rank teams outside of the top 25?
    And if no G5 finishes in the top 25... other than the CBSSports.com poll, how do you argue who is ranked higher?

I believe the CFB playoff poll is used to determine the G5 team that gets to go. If no G5 team is ranked in the top 25, then I think it becomes an economic judgement call by the Access Bowls not in the rotation this year (Peach, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta). They'll base their decision on whichever fanbase travels the best and garners the most interest.
    Artist Formerly Known as ditka4prez

http://www.forgotten5.com

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Not that I'm thinking WE are going to get it, just some clarification on how they determine who goes.

I thought I understood them to say that the Highest Ranked G5 Champion (if bowl eligible) would get the invite.

So, IF that is true.... Where are they getting these rankings from?

The only Rankings I can find beyond the top 25 are the CBS Sports Rankings.
    What rankings would they go by? I know that right now Marshall and Colorado State are ranked in the top 25 in most polls, But they aren't even ranked in the Playoff Poll.

Consider if they each lost a game and weren't ranked in any of the other Polls? Who ranks beyond 25?
    The CBS sports rankings don't line up with all the others, for example - They have GT at 26.
    (Note: We are at 37 in that poll).
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...nkings/cbs/128

CUSA:
    It doesn't look like there is anybody left on Marshall's regular season schedule that is likely to beat them.
    Unless this weeks (6-3) CBS Poll #72 Rice can get it done. (2:30PM on FSN) (Only UAB & WKU after that)
    However (7-3)#69 La Tech most likely gets a shot at them in the MAC Championship game.
    What if they lose both or either of those? Honestly - I can see them dropping one or both of these.

The MWC:
    Colorado State (Rank #25 in both the CBSSports and Coach's Poll, # 23 in the AP Poll) would seem to be the shoe in choice.. BUT - THEY CANNOT get to be conference champions unless Boise drops an in conference game. Because (#32)Boise owns the head to head win over them in the MWC-West.

Whoever wins the West, of course has to get by the WMC-East winner in their CCG.
    The front runner for that is (6-3)#43 Navada. That much is almost a lock.
    THEY play #34 (7-2)Air Force (2PM) Saturday. Hope they beat AF.

The MWC-West is bunched all up just in front of us.
    #37 Georgia Southern
    #36 Utah State (7-3)(Losses:TENN,ArkState,#25 CSU) left(NM(3-6),SJST(3-6),#32Boise)
    #34 Air Force (7-2)(Losses:Wyo,UtahState)Games left #43 Navada(6-3),SDGST(3-6),#25 ColoradoSt(9-1)
    #32 Boise State (7-2)(Losses:Miss & #34 AF) Games left SDGST(3-6),Wyoming(4-6),#36 Utah State(7-3)
    #25 Colorado State (9-1) =(Lost #32 Boise) Games left (NM(3-6), #34 AF)

Who will win the West? I hope it is Utah State!
    Air Force is OUT due to 2 MWC-West losses.
    1 Conference loss:Teams
    Utah State:Still has to play Boise.
    Boise: Still hast to play Utah State
    CSU: Still has to play AF.

Barring some crazy upset from a current 3 or 4 win team:
    Boise OR Utah State will finish with 1 Conference Loss.
    IF CSU losses to Air Force - The winner will be one of the above.

So Go Utah State over Boise, Go AF over CSU.
    This sets the stage for thier CCG featuring two 3 loss teams. 1 having a loss to a SBC Team!

That just leaves the MAC: Who I think we should jump if we win out.
    The only threat (NIU) nearly fell Tuesday night when they beat Toledo 27-24.

NIU(8-2) is ranked right in the mix at #35.
    The MAC CCG is almost a lock now to be between NIU and #58 Bowling Green(7-3)
    NIU losses are to (4-5)Arkansas & (6-4)C.Michigan. They have only (5-5)Ohio and (6-3)W.Michigan left.
    We need them to beat Ohio, but lose to W.Michigan (Who we play next year in Paulson)
    I think W. Michigan can beat them. Most of NIU's wins have not been impressive.
    W.Michigan beat Idaho 45-33. We beat Idaho 47-24. I'm just saying to say that W.Mich's offense has been impressive at times.

So.... How do they rank teams outside of the top 25?
    And if no G5 finishes in the top 25... other than the CBSSports.com poll, how do you argue who is ranked higher?
    I'm not trying to be a smart a** but if you don't know where the rankings come from how can you be confident we will get the access bowl? It is my understanding, this may be incorrect, the ranking will come from the playoff committee on Dec 7th. I don't think they are releasing anything below 4th place until then. They will actually pair most of the major bowls that fall below the playoff bowls. I think that is what I read/heard, could be wrong.

The CFP committee will choose all participants in the playoff and the "BCS" bowls. I don't know what they're being called this year right off hand. Playoff will involve the Rose and Sugar bowls, with the championship in the Cotton Bowl this year. This leaves the Fiesta, Orange, and Peach bowls to be filled by the committee as well. No one understands how they're even ranking the top 4 right now so trying to understand the G5 component is folly at this point. We win out and there's a good chance we could be in, easiest way to put it.

Default Re: Question regarding Access Bowl

Yep just win out and force the committee to give us consideration. There is nothing that says a G5 has to get picked, just get considered. Legally they had to give us a chance...doesn't mean they will pick us. Outside the Peach Bowl we're not going to travel 20K or 30K like the bowl committee wants to see to get a BCS bowl bid.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Yep just win out and force the committee to give us consideration. There is nothing that says a G5 has to get picked, just get considered. Legally they had to give us a chance...doesn't mean they will pick us. Outside the Peach Bowl we're not going to travel 20K or 30K like the bowl committee wants to see to get a BCS bowl bid.
    A G5 team WILL be included, that's a part of the playoff arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post

Wrong. They have to pick the "top ranked" G5 Champion for the access bowl.

How they determine who that is? Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Soweagle View Post
    I'm not trying to be a smart a** but if you don't know where the rankings come from how can you be confident we will get the access bowl? It is my understanding, this may be incorrect, the ranking will come from the playoff committee on Dec 7th. I don't think they are releasing anything below 4th place until then. They will actually pair most of the major bowls that fall below the playoff bowls. I think that is what I read/heard, could be wrong.
    Are you asking me that? If so, I'm not "confident" we will even get to Bowl Eligibility. I was just laying out the possibility of passing the other G5 champions in the only known (to me) poll that ranks outside of the top 25 & how easy it might be for the two that are ranked in most top 25's to fall out of those polls.

The CFP committee is releasing a top 25 each week. Did you click the link?
    It gives you their top 25, but does not include any G5 teams. While the other polls all currently have Colorado State and Marshall in their top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by ditka4prez View Post
    I believe the CFB playoff poll is used to determine the G5 team that gets to go. If no G5 team is ranked in the top 25, then I think it becomes an economic judgement call by the Access Bowls not in the rotation this year (Peach, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta). They'll base their decision on whichever fanbase travels the best and garners the most interest.
    Well that would inhale vigorously! It is supposed to be the "highest ranked" G5, so you would HOPE that they would be trying to figure which team was better by the same criteria they used to set the top 4 in that case. The access to this particular bowl should be based on performance and not the proximity of a G5 champ for the Bowl city in question. If that is the criteria at that point, I suppose it could work out in our favor if the Bowl is in the South/East since most of the major competition for that spot is from out west.

Here is a GOOD read on the subject. It is from October, but still worth the short read. See what they say about us at the bottom!
    http://footballscoop.com/news/group-five/
    The access bowl will rotate between the Peach, Cotton and Fiesta .
    If it is the Peach Bowl..... I'd like our chances should things fall into place if the $/Fans were actually part of the selection process. In that event - If it is the Peach Bowl.

All we need is: 4 things.(Edited to mean 6 things )
    A) Win out!
    b) Have 25 more teams fail to reach eligibility.
    c) Utah State to beat Boise
    d) AF to beat Colorado State.
    ADDED:
    e)Marshall to lose a game.
    f)NIU to lose a game.

Simple enough right?

But I still hope it is based on who they really think is best.

The best G5 champion (as determined by the selection committee) is guranteed a spot in one of the major non-playoff bowls. If it's a south eastern team, it'll be the peach bowl. A south western team, the fiesta bowl, etc.