TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite football win over each SoCon opponent?

Default Your favorite football win over each SoCon opponent?

UTC - 2001. They were throwing everything at AP and he still got his 100+ yards and Mark Myers and the A-backs burnt them on the edges and we won 70-7.
    Honorable mention goes to 2013 if we beat them with our injuries and they win the title outright.

The Citadel - 2007. Did a good job of stopping a good Citadel offense that scored 31 on a ranked Big 10 team. Jayson Foster makes a huge run to help put us over the top.

Elon - 2010. Paid back Elon for the previous three years with a beatdown.

Samford - 2011. Had a good crowd, owned them at their place and paid them back for the 3 previous seasons.

Wofford - 2010 playoff game. The whole 2010 playoff run was a blast but this one was especially good.

Western Carolina - 2008. Erased maybe the worst three quarters of Georgia Southern football I've ever seen with an enormous comeback.

Furman - 2005. If you only count games after entering the conference then this one is my pick. We were playing to stay in the playoff hunt and they were playing to be ranked #1. An all-around epic game.

App. State - 2007. This one is easy. Got to go with beating the national champs that beat Michigan in Boone.

Marshall - Only remember the '96 game (not very well) and that wasn't a win.

East Tennessee State - don't really have one that sticks out

VMI - don't really have one that sticks out

Default Re: Your favorite football win over each SoCon opponent?

You could make this a home/away thread.

Wofford playoff game - Paulson North.

Was't that 2005 Furman when they were #1?

Appy - #1 goes down!! #1 goes down!! Not only was it a huge upset it propelled us into the semifinals.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Citadel 2008 was a good one...triple OT.

App #1 goes down game and Wofford 2010 Paulson North games. Also really enjoyed last year's 30T game in Chat.
    Eagle Fund 2011, 2012, & 2013

The question doesn't address whether the wins had to occur when GSU was a SoCon member... I'm going to assume it doesn't so here are mine:

Furman- 1985 National Championship... "The Catch"
    App State- 2007 Foster vs. Edwards.... GSU cracks the Rock and protects the home win streak record
    Wofford- 2010 National Quarterfinal... avenged the earlier loss at Paulson
    Citadel: 1998 GSU comes back from a 17 pt. road deficit behind Adrian Peterson's 5 TD's to stay undefeated
    Elon- 2010 JJ Wilcox crushing perimeter defenders, plus there was a measure of revenge based on the previous 3 years
    Chatty- 2012 Jerick McKinnon willed his team to the triple OT victory on the road that assured GSU a share of the SoCon title
    WCU- 2008 GSU erases a 28 point deficit in 14 minutes to force OT and win on a FG
    Samford- 2011 Laron Scott with the KO return for the TD turns the tide for GSU

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    UTC - 2001. They were throwing everything at AP and he still got his 100+ yards and Mark Myers and the A-backs burnt them on the edges and we won 70-7.
    Honorable mention goes to 2013 if we beat them with our injuries and they win the title outright.

The Citadel - 2007. Did a good job of stopping a good Citadel offense that scored 31 on a ranked Big 10 team. Jayson Foster makes a huge run to help put us over the top.

Elon - 2010. Paid back Elon for the previous three years with a beatdown.

Samford - 2011. Had a good crowd, owned them at their place and paid them back for the 3 previous seasons.

Wofford - 2010 playoff game. The whole 2010 playoff run was a blast but this one was especially good.

Western Carolina - 2008. Erased maybe the worst three quarters of Georgia Southern football I've ever seen with an enormous comeback.

Furman - 2005. If you only count games after entering the conference then this one is my pick. We were playing to stay in the playoff hunt and they were playing to be ranked #1. An all-around epic game.

App. State - 2007. This one is easy. Got to go with beating the national champs that beat Michigan in Boone.

Marshall - Only remember the '96 game (not very well) and that wasn't a win.

East Tennessee State - don't really have one that sticks out

VMI - don't really have one that sticks out
    Great thread idea.

I'll chime in with mine later and split them road/home because there is over 20 years worth of games to cover.

@ETSU has to be the 1997 game. Mike Cavan was their coach, and they were pretty darn good. Corey Joiner opens up the 2nd half kickoff running it back 100 yards and we end up winning that game in the mini-dump 38-30 (I think). Set us up to be in position where beating Furman at home would earn us the autobid and edge our way into the playoffs.

Quite a turnaround for that team after the 1996 season unfolded the way it did.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

These are my picks for the best GSU SoCon games on the road:

UTC - 2009. Will give Hatcher's team a little bit of love here, because some of those previous UTC teams were no matchup for the Eagles. This actually should have been a closer game than it was, but Hatcher's offense was actually rolling that day.
    Citadel - 1998. AP put the team on his back in a game that we had no business winning after being down so much.
    Elon - 2001. A questionable penalty on the last play of the game gives us a fresh set of downs and AP ends up scoring the game winning TD with little time left. Probably the only game in 20 years of SoCon competition where I do think a call that influenced the game, went our way.
    Samford - 2011. Set the tone for the season, avenging a disheartening loss in 2010 at home.
    Wofford - 2010 playoff game. Epic turnout on the road and hilarious to witness firsthand. Still surprised at how many folks I saw 3 hours before the game starts, streaming in for a seat while doing the pre-game radio in the pressbox @ Gibbs.
    Western Carolina - 2008. Will be hard to ever have a greater comeback in a game, opponent notwithstanding.
    Furman - 2002. Thoroughly eviscerated the purple pukes at home
    App. State - 1999. Yes, this was a loss but it was an epic game nonetheless. IMO this game cemented our rivalry with App.
    Marshall - 1993, played as close as we ever did once we were in the conference. Nothing to write home about after we joined the league, but sure enjoyed pounding them in 1989 in the last regular season home game in front of nearly 4000 of their fans.
    East Tennessee State - 1997. Corey Joiner 100yd kickoff return to start the 2nd half propels us closer to 2nd SoCon title
    VMI - 2001. Probably the most competitive game VMI ever gave us in Lexington.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

I'm only going to post games that I've been to.

Wofford - 2012 - Military Appreciation with alternate jerseys. It was a great, low scoring game and we didn't get cursed with our first ever alternate jersey. Plus, it was my first ever game getting to shoot on the sideline...maybe I'll make it out there again one day...

Chattanooga - This is a tossup. Last year was a great game, and I got engaged that weekend, so the win REALLY topped off a great weekend. Also, there is this year's game at home that got the loudest that I can ever remember Paulson getting. I was thoroughly impressed.

Furman - Bobby's last game. My first ever away game. Great comeback.

App - #1 goes down. I still get chills from that.

Don't really have a memorable win over the other socon teams.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    You could make this a home/away thread.

Wofford playoff game - Paulson North.

Was't that 2005 Furman when they were #1?

Appy - #1 goes down!! #1 goes down!! Not only was it a huge upset it propelled us into the semifinals.
    Furman 05, Woffy/Paulson North, Ap's run in the mud in victory over Montana, William and Mary playoff game, where the flex/to was BACK and BAD. Many more, so many to mention. And I'm not a pre-2000 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    These are my picks for the best GSU SoCon games on the road:

UTC - 2009. Will give Hatcher's team a little bit of love here, because some of those previous UTC teams were no matchup for the Eagles. This actually should have been a closer game than it was, but Hatcher's offense was actually rolling that day.
    This one was at home (odd-numbered year) but you're right that that was a good one. That was Russ Huesman's first year as a coach and they were a pretty decent team that year. I was kind of tickled that Huesman is such a good defensive coach and our (possibly) worst offense ever scored 30 on them. Didn't beat them by double digits since then.