TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on game 3

Default Thoughts on game 3

I guess this is going to become a weekly thing. Its getting a good response from you guys so I'll keep doing it as long as you keep reading and responding. Here goes:

The Good:

Antonio Henton....no question this is our guy. He accounted for all 5 touchdowns last night and was making play after play. He made a couple of bad throws but for the most part, he was dead on the money. And when we run that zone read with him, man he has a good ball fake. I was faked out last night multiple times and usually I can always tell who has the ball. He shouldn't have to split time anymore.

Defense in the 2nd half....why can't we play a first half? Who knows but for the second week in a row our defense has really shut the other team down in the 2nd half. Thats good to see I just wish we could play two halves like that.

Raja Andrews....man this guy is good no?

Leander Barney....good things happen when he gets the ball. He makes some hard catches as well. I'm VERY impressed with this guy. Glad hes an Eagle. Just get him the ball more coach.

Effort....we played extremely hard all night long and that was good to see.

The Bad:

Coaching/Playcalling.....I'm not real sure who calls the plays but I was having some head scratching moments last night. Throwing a 40 yard pass on 4th and 2 with less than 2 minutes left? Really? One of many I had a serious problem with last night.

Defensive line....we got pushed around last night pretty bad. Grant it those guys were big up front but we have got to find some way to get extra pressure on the quarterback and cause some doubleteams to free up our linebackers from taking on linemen. Teams that are big on the line are going to give us trouble this year with our small defense.

Running game....other than the occasional big run from Henton, we really didn't have much of one last night. Zeke was a non factor. Samir Baker had a nice run or two but I honestly expect us to get the ball to our backs more because that is the strength of our team. Plus, Northeastern ran a 3-3-5 D as well some and we couldn't push them around to get 5 yards?

The Ugly:

Long snapper....Blame Hartley, some may be his fault, but the constant bad snaps don't help him. The jury is still out for me. If he can't regroup, we need to make a change.

Tackling....I've been screaming this for weeks and it looked like it got worse last night. We didn't tackle worth a crap in the 1st half and it wasn't much better in the 2nd. Honestly folks, our defense is there most of the time to make the play for minimal gains and such but we hardly ever make the tackle.

Students/People rushing the field.....Seriously? At Georgia Southern, we don't rush the field for beating a team that almost disbanded its football program just because they gave us a scare at home. Come on people. Act like we've been there before.

My thoughts:

Glad to get the win. That tight end that they had was a straight up man out there. We had nothing for him. The best recruit we got out of high school last year in Nick Bass is seeing the field more but we don't throw to him. I saw once last night where he was WIDE open about 25 yards upfield and he didn't get the ball. I've harped on this guy saying he was the best player I saw in person all of last year. We need to get him the ball. The guy is a great football player. Rather that scheme for Elon all this week, maybe we should have tackling drills so we can learn to tackle. I see high school teams every week that tackle better than we do.

Maybe it's because I smoked to much weed when I was younger, my memory isnt as good as it use to be, when was the last time WE BEEN THERE?? Since we fired Sewak, were 12-13. Plus, the student body filled me in, they were just practicing for bigger and better things to come. PS, Henton's the real deal and yes we can go vertical. GO EAGLES. Oh, #6 is the guy, GIVE THAT LITTLE GUY THE BALL more than 3 times.

I had to listen to the game on the radio, so i didnt get as good coverage, but did chappell play at all and if he did, how much?

As a twenty-something year season ticket holder, I didn't peronally care that our students charged the field and celebrated after a regular season game. I feel these type celebrations are for big conference games or playoff victories. But . . . let's take a look at it from the students' eyes. When you do this, you can see that this exciting overtime win was worth celebrating with the team at mid-field.

For a current GSU senior, this is his/her fourth season of Eagles football. Since their first game in the fall of 2005, their Eagles have a record of 20-17. Average.

Their Eagles have a home winning record of 13-8 during the same stretch, including last night's victory. Average.

They have only experienced a single playoff game, the debacle in San Marcos, Texas. One playoff game in 3+ years. Average.

Our home record against conference foes has been dismal; 1-2 against Wofford, Furman, Chattanooga, and Appy. Below Average.

They've seen their Eagles lose at home against Central Connecticut, North Dakota State, The Citadel, Central Arkansas and Chattanooga. Below Average.

They're now calling a third young man their Head Football Coach. Below Average.

So, if you add all of these things together, our students have been looking for a reason to celebrate for a long time. Let them have a little fun right now. Let them experience what it means to become winners once again. With time, and more victories, they'll quickly sort out which victories "earn" the right to be celebrated at mid-field after the final play is over.

A win is a win, regardless of how messy or ugly it is. And, for this brief, short period in our school's football history, I'm not going to b!tch and moan about how we get them. I'm tired of seeing the CCSU's and UTC's of this world do their victory dances in Our House after games.

I want all visiting teams to Paulson Stadium to drag their sorry butts back to the locker room and be very anxious to leave Statesboro.

I want to get back to the playoffs and put those hillbilly fans from the North Carolina mountains in thier traditional position, which is in the back seat looking out the window while we drive the big Cadillac car back home with our trophies and banners.

I want to be sitting in the rain in Chattanooga the week before Christmas, complaining about the cold, while full of beer and hoarse from screaming for my Eagles to victory.

If it takes several hundred future alumni of our university to jump up and down at mid-field to get this ball rolling in the right direction, then I'm 10,000% behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by gatadotcom View Post
    As a twenty-something year season ticket holder, I didn't peronally care that our students charged the field and celebrated after a regular season game. I feel these type celebrations are for big conference games or playoff victories. But . . . let's take a look at it from the students' eyes. When you do this, you can see that this exciting overtime win was worth celebrating with the team at mid-field.

For a current GSU senior, this is his/her fourth season of Eagles football. Since their first game in the fall of 2005, their Eagles have a record of 20-17. Average.

Their Eagles have a home winning record of 13-8 during the same stretch, including last night's victory. Average.

They have only experienced a single playoff game, the debacle in San Marcos, Texas. One playoff game in 3+ years. Average.

Our home record against conference foes has been dismal; 1-2 against Wofford, Furman, Chattanooga, and Appy. Below Average.

They've seen their Eagles lose at home against Central Connecticut, North Dakota State, The Citadel, Central Arkansas and Chattanooga. Below Average.

They're now calling a third young man their Head Football Coach. Below Average.

So, if you add all of these things together, our students have been looking for a reason to celebrate for a long time. Let them have a little fun right now. Let them experience what it means to become winners once again. With time, and more victories, they'll quickly sort out which victories "earn" the right to be celebrated at mid-field after the final play is over.

A win is a win, regardless of how messy or ugly it is. And, for this brief, short period in our school's football history, I'm not going to b!tch and moan about how we get them. I'm tired of seeing the CCSU's and UTC's of this world do their victory dances in Our House after games.

I want all visiting teams to Paulson Stadium to drag their sorry butts back to the locker room and be very anxious to leave Statesboro.

I want to get back to the playoffs and put those hillbilly fans from the North Carolina mountains in thier traditional position, which is in the back seat looking out the window while we drive the big Cadillac car back home with our trophies and banners.

I want to be sitting in the rain in Chattanooga the week before Christmas, complaining about the cold, while full of beer and hoarse from screaming for my Eagles to victory.

If it takes several hundred future alumni of our university to jump up and down at mid-field to get this ball rolling in the right direction, then I'm 10,000% behind them.
    Gata, I could not have said it any better.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Gata, I could not have said it any better.
    Agreed. Wonderfully put.

Can't say it any better! GATA!

This game was too close for me. I want the good old days back when we're up by 21 points to start the 4th quarter & the second & third string guys get the opportunity to show us how good they are. These "close" games are way too much "stress" for "old folks".

Great job in "finding a way to win", Eagles!

And, for the second week in a row, thank goodness for the turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post

Coaching/Playcalling.....I'm not real sure who calls the plays but I was having some head scratching moments last night. Throwing a 40 yard pass on 4th and 2 with less than 2 minutes left? Really? One of many I had a serious problem with last night.

I agree. There were many times I was thinking WTH ? On the flip side I was glad to see us finally throw the ball downfield.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    Agreed. Wonderfully put.

I agree!!!

Let the students celebrate. It was a great come-from-behind victory.

Hell.........I even rushed the parking lot of a celebratory drink.
    Birds Fly in Flocks,<br />Eagles Soar Alone!