TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: This is Georgia Southern Football...

1. Default This is Georgia Southern Football...

Georgia Southern Football is the Triple Option. Installed by the legend, Coach Erk Russell and refined/tweaked, by most of his successors. GSU football is speed on both sides of the ball. Flawless execution and a passion to excel. A crazed base of fans at home AND away games. Yes, we have been bitten by the injury bug. However, what I have seen with my own eyes in S'burg and B'ham has me scratching my head. I suspected it a bit v. SSU and St. Francis. Something is NOT right. I have only been True Blue since 1996, but I hope the outstanding history and reputation of our program can overcome what I have witnessed so far this season. What is going on? Why are we regressing this season instead of progressing? I had so much hope for 2013 and beyond. I hope I am wrong and our unique and passionate position in college football is not slipping away...Attendance was a concern before these last two losses which should have been wins. The fact is the football team at Georgia Southern sets the tone which all students and the other sports at GSU feed off of. I'm very concerned for the future. I hope I'm wrong and the last two set-backs were an anomaly. Please let's get back to our roots. Remember the cheer of the fans in 2010 when we ran our first offensive play v. SSU?

Default Re: This is Georgia Southern Football...

I believe there is more going on then we know. I could never imagine Monken "sacrificing" a season, and I'm not suggesting that, but I do believe that he is more comfortable with trying new things he wants to use next year, in games this year because there's not too many repercussions. I'd still like to believe that playcalling and execution would be much better if this weren't a transition year. I still have very high hopes for next year. Especially seeing how Ellison runs that shotgun option

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    I believe there is more going on then we know. I could never imagine Monken "sacrificing" a season, and I'm not suggesting that, but I do believe that he is more comfortable with trying new things he wants to use next year, in games this year because there's not too many repercussions. I'd still like to believe that playcalling and execution would be much better if this weren't a transition year. I still have very high hopes for next year. Especially seeing how Ellison runs that shotgun option
    It doesn't look like there's a willingness to commit to those changes though. What we saw in the second quarter is what I thought we would be doing this year. It was pretty damn effective too. Ellison was 7/7 for 140ish yards and 2 TDs. Samford had no answer for what we were doing.

Unfortunately, a lot of our fanbase doesn't consider that the Georgia Southern way because the forward pass, especially in a formation not handed down by our diety Paul Johnson, is the wrong way to play the game.

Our objective is to win football games. I love the flexbone, but I don't care if we come out and run fake punts every play as long as we win games. I'm not even going to talk about defense because I've voiced many concerns about how we utilize or defensive players since 2010.

I don't know how anybody can watch how well we look in our shotgun packages running the ball (and throwing) and say they don't think it will work. Why do we keep blaming the offense when we are scoring plenty of points this season...
    "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

Dusty Fowler
    I.T./B.Mgmt.
    GSUAF Member
    P69 - Section 108

Quote Originally Posted by Ralze34 View Post
    I don't know how anybody can watch how well we look in our shotgun packages running the ball (and throwing) and say they don't think it will work. Why do we keep blaming the offense when we are scoring plenty of points this season...
    Having time to get back and not be so emotional, that 2nd half defensively will go down as one of our worse melt-downs in our program's history. That 2nd qtr was a thing of beauty!, 2 TD drives using the gun/option, then switching back to the flex/TO and cramming it down their throats for another TD, we had the "Mo", then after that interception, we looked more like Sav State then GSU. Just a terrible 2nd half of football period. Like someone posted, In 5 plays we gave up 334 yards, good football teams just don't do that. We got lots of work to do. What I would do the remainder of the season is to start Ellison, move #1 to RB, Ellison can run both Gun and FlexTO and if he needs a breather put Vegas in running his Gun package. I think it's time to future on the seasons to come. BUT, don't underestimate the missing of Swope, pretty much all season, he is special.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Unfortunately, a lot of our fanbase doesn't consider that the Georgia Southern way because the forward pass, especially in a formation not handed down by our diety Paul Johnson, is the wrong way to play the game.
    This is what annoys me the most. No I haven't been alive as long as probably all of you, but I'm so tired of people's unwillingness to change. It's not like monken is trying to run a spread. He's running an option, that in my opinion, will be FAR more effective against FBS defenses than the standard TO we run. Even Tech doesn't run a conventional TO. If it works, why would we not want to run it? It clearly worked yesterday.

I wonder how many folks actually watch the substitutions that occur during the game, across the board.

We can't compare this team's output to last year's, because we are not putting last year's team out there on the field.

They'll have to find/make their own way.

Lots of new faces out between the hashes getting some playing time (aka experience). As we've seen before ... many times over, there is a price you have to pay to accumulate some experience. Sometimes it manifests itself as a big, fat "L" on the ledger.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    This is what annoys me the most. No I haven't been alive as long as probably all of you, but I'm so tired of people's unwillingness to change. It's not like monken is trying to run a spread. He's running an option, that in my opinion, will be FAR more effective against FBS defenses than the standard TO we run. Even Tech doesn't run a conventional TO. If it works, why would we not want to run it? It clearly worked yesterday.
    In time, imo we will see the return of the "HamBone" with a true dual threat of run and pass.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Having time to get back and not be so emotional, that 2nd half defensively will go down as one of our worse melt-downs in our program's history. That 2nd qtr was a thing of beauty!, 2 TD drives using the gun/option, then switching back to the flex/TO and cramming it down their throats for another TD, we had the "Mo", then after that interception, we looked more like Sav State then GSU. Just a terrible 2nd half of football period. Like someone posted, In 5 plays we gave up 334 yards, good football teams just don't do that. We got lots of work to do. What I would do the remainder of the season is to start Ellison, move #1 to RB, Ellison can run both Gun and FlexTO and if he needs a breather put Vegas in running his Gun package. I think it's time to future on the seasons to come. BUT, don't underestimate the missing of Swope, pretty much all season, he is special.
    Next seasons Eagles have all been red-shirted or "injured". This season has been reduced to an experiment in different types offensive and defensive schemes,and evaluation of coaches.We will enter next year with a group of exceptional players,maybe a few coaching changes and the beginning of our next level of domination! I think in the back of our minds we knew this this could happen,so lets support our guys this season,because our Seniors deserve it.