TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should be back in business

Default Re: Should be back in business

Quote Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
    Was there any specific malicious bug identified that users may have picked up? Something's causing problems on my home computer the last few days that Norton, Malwarebytes and the other stuff I use hasn't stopped; Google searches are redirecting to some crappy search service and WIndows Updating isn't working. I was going to spend some time this weekend trying to flush it out.

the specific malware that was being picked up by Kaspersky (on my machine and others who visit here), was this one:

flep studio.org

without a space between the "p" and "s" above.

There was one other suspect malware link, but I do not have it in front of me at the moment. I will post it here later so you can check on it as well.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    the specific malware that was being picked up by Kaspersky (on my machine and others who visit here), was this one:

flep studio.org

without a space between the "p" and "s" above.

There was one other suspect malware link, but I do not have it in front of me at the moment. I will post it here later so you can check on it as well.

The other one was koks in.net

Again, remove the space.

Quote Originally Posted by cannonballgsu View Post
    The other one was koks in.net

Again, remove the space.
    Yes, that was it.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by surferdave View Post
    Was there any specific malicious bug identified that users may have picked up? Something's causing problems on my home computer the last few days that Norton, Malwarebytes and the other stuff I use hasn't stopped; Google searches are redirecting to some crappy search service and WIndows Updating isn't working. I was going to spend some time this weekend trying to flush it out.
    run a scan with malwarebytes and also hitman pro.

If you need to, use another computer to download the executable and put it onto a USB drive and plug that into your home computer and install from there.
    Screwing up networks throughout the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Yes, that was it.
    So have you changed your password information for your host and all that jazz? Someone either figured out your password or an admin password so they could make the change to the footer on your file on the web server.

Quote Originally Posted by southern edumacation View Post
    So have you changed your password information for your host and all that jazz? Someone either figured out your password or an admin password so they could make the change to the footer on your file on the web server.
    oh yeah. Did that first thing. FTP, database, etc ... changed all those passwords.

But that isn't the issue. I'm about 99.9% sure the issue is host-related. I've had a forensics IT guy working with me for several months on some other issues that weren't related to this recent event.

Well that's what happens when you use "password" or "letmein" to secure your admin accounts.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Looks like the virus warning is gone!

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Well that's what happens when you use "password" or "letmein" to secure your admin accounts.
    ADMIN
    ADMIN

That's the best way
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

I'm not sure how I survived. Thanks Paul! Bottle of Jack on me at the App St. game!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    I'm not sure how I survived. Thanks Paul! Bottle of Jack on me at the App St. game!
    Not literally on me...that's just gross. But you know what I meant!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    Not literally on me...that's just gross. But you know what I meant!
    I am was about to comment on that one.

Any suggestions on free virus software that is good enough to use or should I just renew Norton?

13. Default Re: Should be back in business

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Jax_Eagle View Post

Any suggestions on free virus software that is good enough to use or should I just renew Norton?

http://ninite.com/

Security

• Great Antivirus by Microsoft 4.0.1526.0
    • Avast Free Antivirus 7.0.1466.549
    • AVG Free Antivirus 2012 12.0.2197
    • Malware Remover 1.62.0.1300
    • Antivirus Free Trial 10.2.21.3698
    • Spyware Remover 1.6.2
    • SUPERAntiSpyware Free 5.5.1012

Never pay, plenty of free stuff that works great.

One of these below:
    Avast
    AVG
    Avira
    Microsoft Security Essentials or whatever they call it.

Both are free but you have to manually run a scan.
    Malwarebytes
    SuperAntiSpyware
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Norton/Symantec is a resource hog and should be drug out in the street and shot.

I used to use Avast which is free for home use, but now I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. Never had a virus on my personal PC. My work laptop had Symantec Corporate on it and I had to get it reformatted cause it got something on it while I was out of town once.

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

Norton/Symantec is a resource hog and should be drug out in the street and shot.

I used to use Avast which is free for home use, but now I just use Microsoft Security Essentials. Never had a virus on my personal PC. My work laptop had Symantec Corporate on it and I had to get it reformatted cause it got something on it while I was out of town once.
    I've been surprisingly happy with MSFT Security Essentials. Of course the best anti-virus is common sense

Quote Originally Posted by BoroNative View Post

I've been surprisingly happy with MSFT Security Essentials. Of course the best anti-virus is common sense
    I use security essentials set home as well. Works great.

Sent using Forum Runner

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Kaspersky, and I still use Spybody Search & Destroy. All are free, and I don't remember every having any issues.
    "If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

Dusty Fowler
    I.T./B.Mgmt.
    GSUAF Member
    P69 - Section 108

The new reply options look much smoother. Thats the only change I can tell from the old software.