TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like a new rule for onside kicks

Default Looks like a new rule for onside kicks

From SEC media days:

In the past, the primary kick we've seen is where the kicker drives the ball straight in the ground, it goes high up in the air, the intent is it goes high in the air, 10 yards, a free ball, now we have some pretty significant collisions. Well, now, if a kicker drives the ball straight into the ground, one hop, the receiving team is afforded protection to catch that hop just like it was an airborne kick. The example would be if he drives it into the ground, big hop, I'm in position to catch it, if it was beyond 10 yards before, the kicking team could make contact with me. Now they will not be allowed to make contact. That will be kick-catch interference.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Default Re: Looks like a new rule for onside kicks

The pussification continues.

All I see is: "Let's take the drama and interest of a last ditch comeback effort out of the game."

I guess the kickers will have to come up with some kind of line-drive/butterfingers approach to counter this.
    May the enemies of Georgia Southern never eat bread nor drink whiskey, but be afflicted with itching without the benefit of scratching.

So, if they are taking all the risk out of onside kicks, what's to stop whoever scores first from just keeping the ball the whole game? I mean, I guess there are still turnovers possible, but barring those it's just whichever team wins the coin flip. There has to be something else to it.

It seems to me that it will be a lot harder to recover. The thrill of a close game is that you know that you always have a chance to make a quick score, recover, and score again. Comeback victories will be less plentiful.
    GSU Alma Mater: Words by Caryl Cain Brown, Music by David Matthew
    "From humble farm beginnings, sprung up from sandy earth, among the tow'ring pine trees, stands a treasure of great worth. Her price cannot be measured, in silver or in gold, but in the love and loyalty, that many hearts enfold. Georgia Southern University. On Eagles wings you soar. We pledge to you our loyalty and love for ever more."

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    From SEC media days:
    Wouldn't he have to signal a fair catch. I'm under the impression that kickoffs are free kicks and the defenders can hit the receiver before he catches the ball if he could get down field quick enough. That is why you dont see short kickoffs as onside kicks because the receiver can fair catch it. UNless they changed that rule also.

Quote Originally Posted by McEagle View Post
    Wouldn't he have to signal a fair catch. I'm under the impression that kickoffs are free kicks and the defenders can hit the receiver before he catches the ball if he could get down field quick enough. That is why you dont see short kickoffs as onside kicks because the receiver can fair catch it. UNless they changed that rule also.
    Can't fair catch a ball that's hit the ground.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Who posted that? A member of the media? It is an incorrect interpretation of the rule.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    The pussification continues.
    Yeah, it takes a real man to blast a player who's looking upwards to catch a football.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA

Quote Originally Posted by gsu_paintballer View Post
    Can't fair catch a ball that's hit the ground.
    Then it's not just like an airborne kickoff. On a kickoff, i believe the kick receiver can be hit before the ball gets there, unless he fair catches it.