TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Move and You Break Even

Default Just Move and You Break Even

Isn't that right GATA ERK?

[According to the NCAA, 43% of the 120 schools in the Football Bowl Subdivision lost money on their programs. This is the tier of schools that includes such examples as that great titan of football excellence, the University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers, who went 3-and-9 last season. The athletic department in 2008-2009 took in over $13 million in university funds and student fees, largely because the football program cost so much, The Wall Street Journal reported. New Mexico State University's athletic department needed a 70% subsidy in 2009-2010, largely because Aggie football hasn't gotten to a bowl game in 51 years.]

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ovis_May_Link4

*This is GSUProfFan's link. Didn't want to hijack the other thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Default Re: Just Move and You Break Even

Oh crud not another one

3. Default Re: Just Move and You Break Even

really. come on - Does anyone thing we wouldnt walk New Mexico State and UAB by about 3 Touchdowns? What was the average attendance at those two schools? how many booster members do they each have?

4. Default Re: Just Move and You Break Even

UAB has 700 more donars than us and they have been playing FBS forever - I really dont know when they started but I dont remember them in 1-AA. They are also in a State that splits it's loyalty BIG between two SEC teams. We suffer by the hands uga, do doubt - but there aint two of them in State. GT gets good support - but I dont think we lose many fans to them. Also the population of Alabama is about HALF of GA's. http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...l=en&ind=false
    UAB also averaged only 16,579 last year. THAT IS INCLUDING A VISIT FROM MISS STATE!

This week:
    Time (EDT)Visiting teamHome teamSiteTVResultAttendance
    October 812:00PMMississippi StateUABLegion FieldBirmingham, ALFS SouthL 3–2128,351
    Here is there other home games:
    Time (EDT)Visiting teamHome teamSiteTVResultAttendance
    September 174:00PMTulaneUABLegion FieldBirmingham, ALTULN 49–1017,658
    October 208:00PMUCFUABLegion FieldBirmingham, ALCSSUAB 26–248,872

November 58:00PM#14 HoustonUABLegion FieldBirmingham, ALCBS Sports NetworkHOU 56–1313,909

November 178:00PM#20 Southern MissUABLegion FieldBirmingham, ALCBS Sports NetworkUAB 34–3114,103

While officially they broke 16Thousand - it is only because of the BIG SEC visiting team. If you swap that attendance for their next highest attended game (over 17k) they only averaged: 12,033!!!!!!
    WOW. Imagine if we got such a visit? What would our numbers be? Instead - what OOC teams visit Paulson? And why the heck is their budget so high? They don't win and they are spending way more than Keel says we need.

NMSU averages 15,138 in attendance. And WHAT are they competting against? Football just aint the same out in NEW MEXICO. They lost to uga 63-16 last year - that is about like Ga St against Alabama.
    http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...l=en&ind=false

We need more donars, we need more attendance - but you cant compare what GSU would be in the FBS to these two - I hear what you're saying - just moving wont do it. GIVE GIVE GIVE - Yes I'm with you.
    But P L E A S E dont use these as an example of GSU in the FBS.

I think we are about to see an explosin in donar members. We already have more than any program in the Sunbelt and more than some in C-USA. We really need to be comparing ourselves to App State. When App State has twice what Georgia Southern does - it should make every Eagle throw up just a little. Look at the Population of North Carolina compared to GA.
    http://www.google.com/publicdata/exp...l=en&ind=false
    And then consider what ASU is competing against for attendance. Now THAT IS IMPRESSIVE. How many D-1 (FBS&FCS) teams are playing on any given Saturday in NC? They are out doing us across the board! This should really get under our skin. If we could match ASU's support and effort we will have no excuse, and no reason to fear going FBS. GSU is a gold mine waiting to be tapped.

5. Default Re: Just Move and You Break Even

And this:

DavidsonWildcatsDavidsonNorth CarolinaPioneer18371896
    North Carolina A&TAggiesGreensboroNorth CarolinaMEAC18911901
    North Carolina CentralEaglesDurhamNorth CarolinaMEAC19091922
    Western CarolinaCatamountsCullowheeNorth Carolina

ElonPhoenixElonNorth CarolinaSouthern18891909
    Gardner–WebbRunnin' BulldogsBoiling SpringsNorth CarolinaBig South19051970
    CampbellFighting CamelsBuies CreekNorth CarolinaPioneer

And soon to be UNNC.

While we have UGA,GT, Savannah State (I should have probably listed Valdosta before SS) Ga State and soon to be KenswSt,Mercer.

ASU plays the same schools we do against more competition with the same population - yet they are averaging nearly 30,000 per game! That is half of what we do AGAIN! I just threw up again.

App will also have to compete for fans with UNC Charlotte.

7. Default Re: Just Move and You Break Even

If you use that criteria then we are losing money now in the FCS as the State supplements the budget and we use student fees. The article considers student fees and state fees as losses, so it is a bit misleading. Sure the SEC teams are profitable enough to use their state fees elswhere and student fees are minimal, but that is not possible in FCS and lower level FBS football.

At the end of the year the budget balances, which is what matters. Yes, it takes state and student fees which we have been using for many years.
    “Not a young man who played for Erk Russell…won’t tell his children and grandchildren something he learned from this great man. It was like that with Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant” - Keith Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeagle View Post
    really. come on - Does anyone thing we wouldnt walk New Mexico State and UAB by about 3 Touchdowns? What was the average attendance at those two schools? how many booster members do they each have?
    Actually UAB isn't that bad of a team. Considering they are a medical school, they don't have much of a following. They wouldn't be a cake walk for us if we played. When we move up we better separate ourselves from teams at this level soon or we will be just another Middle Tennessee down the road.
    1989 15-0 National Champions

"Its not what you have, its what you do with what you have" Erk.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeagle View Post
    UAB has 700 more donars than us and they have been playing FBS forever - I really dont know when they started but I dont remember them in 1-AA. They are also in a State that splits it's loyalty BIG between two SEC teams. We suffer by the hands uga, do doubt - but there aint two of them in State. GT gets good support - but I dont think we lose many fans to them. Also the population of Alabama is about HALF of GA's..............
    When we played Samford in Birmingham last year we got the Sunday Birmingham paper to see what they had to say about our game, which truly was almost nothing. Had more than two pages on each of the Alabama and Auburn games, but literally about the same coverage of UAB's game as they did ours. This doesn't add anything to the current conversation, but seeing Smokeagle's opening reminded me of it.