TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Article on Recruiting Implications

Default Interesting Article on Recruiting Implications

I found this article earlier on an SEC blog about the possible recruiting implications of Georgia State and us eventually moving to the FBS. It is an interesting read with several GSU mentions.
    http://www.mrsec.com/2012/04/georgia...o-get-tougher/

Default Re: Interesting Article on Recruiting Implications

I'm in the camp that sais our move up would do little or nothing, and may even help the recruiting efforts of GTech and UGA. On the other hand it would definately impact those schools who would require the student to play in someone elses state. Most if given the choice would rather play in Georgia. Thus helping the two previously mentioned.

A move by us to I-A would affect the recruiting of the current Sun Belt and CUSA teams the most. Very little impact on "BCS" schools.

After the top 25% of BCS us moving up will affect their recruiting.

It is a numbers game. when the other 75% is signing around 25 a year a good many 3 and 4 star guysare are going to BCS schools. If the non Bcs are picking off some and there are a lot of non Bcs schools, it will affect some BCS SCHOOLS.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    A move by us to I-A would affect the recruiting of the current Sun Belt and CUSA teams the most. Very little impact on "BCS" schools.
    This.

It's not like State or Southern are suddenly going to inhale vigorously all the Georgia BCS talent away from Alabama, Clemson, FSU. We'll be taking it away from Sunbelt and CUSA teams that are doing very well with it. Enter two FBS teams in this state and those recruiting trails dry up for those teams, not the BCS squads.

State fans might have other delusions about how that will work though.
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

Where it could affect the BCS schools is say you have a 3 star kid that us and Ga State have been recruiting from day 1 and he really likes both of us. Well late in the process in comes Clemson or Auburn and offers that kid because they didn't get the 5 star that they wanted. Now that kid has the option of staying close to home so his family can see him play instead of having to choose between Troy, MTSU, Clemson, and Auburn he's choosing between GSU, Ga St, Clemson, and Auburn. In the past he probably chooses Clemson or Auburn because if he's going to have to leave the state he might as well do it to a BCS school. But now he might decide to stay home and go to the in state school.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Where it could affect the BCS schools is say you have a 3 star kid that us and Ga State have been recruiting from day 1 and he really likes both of us. Well late in the process in comes Clemson or Auburn and offers that kid because they didn't get the 5 star that they wanted. Now that kid has the option of staying close to home so his family can see him play instead of having to choose between Troy, MTSU, Clemson, and Auburn he's choosing between GSU, Ga St, Clemson, and Auburn. In the past he probably chooses Clemson or Auburn because if he's going to have to leave the state he might as well do it to a BCS school. But now he might decide to stay home and go to the in state school.
    Agreed.

But then we start getting into the definition of "recruiting against". In my opinion, while Clemson and Auburn may come in at the last minute with a late offer, I wouldn't consider that "recruiting against" GayState and GaSouthern. To me, "recruiting against" means two programs fighting over a recruit throughout the entire process, not just one swooping in at the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleSC View Post
    Agreed.

But then we start getting into the definition of "recruiting against". In my opinion, while Clemson and Auburn may come in at the last minute with a late offer, I wouldn't consider that "recruiting against" GayState and GaSouthern. To me, "recruiting against" means two programs fighting over a recruit throughout the entire process, not just one swooping in at the last minute.
    Oh no, that's definitely not recruiting against. If Auburn and Clemson are in it from day 1 then that's recruiting against and 99 out of 100 that kid is going to the BCS school. UGA isn't even going to notice we are around and most likely Tech won't either. It's Troy, MTSU, FIU, FAU, ext that are going to notice. When Dwight Dasher is going to Ga Southern instead of MTSU that's going to hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Oh no, that's definitely not recruiting against. If Auburn and Clemson are in it from day 1 then that's recruiting against and 99 out of 100 that kid is going to the BCS school. UGA isn't even going to notice we are around and most likely Tech won't either. It's Troy, MTSU, FIU, FAU, ext that are going to notice. When Dwight Dasher is going to Ga Southern instead of MTSU that's going to hurt.
    Tech might be the only BCS school that notices we are around, but that's due to the identical offense, and we are probably already going after those recruits now. I don't see that relationship changing much. If they can survive the curriculum at Tech, they will go there. We'll get the guys they don't have room for on the roster and those that enjoy seeing women and an easier course load.
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

I don't think too many Georgia kids would say "no" to Clemson and Auburn, but I bet they might to Illinois or Washington State.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops