TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Southern vs Georgia State in Football in AJC

Default Georgia Southern vs Georgia State in Football in AJC

http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-state-s...le-notes-pt-2/

Article in AJC on possibility of match-up...

Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Georgia State in Football in AJC

Let's do it, Georgia Southern shouldn't be afraid to play anybody. Plus it would be embarrassing for Georgia State if we played a game in the Dome and more Eagle fans showed up than Panther fans. We've done it before *cough* Wofford *cough*
    Artist Formerly Known as ditka4prez

http://www.forgotten5.com

3. Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Georgia State in Football in AJC

I agree the Eagles have little to gain by beating the Panthers from a football sense. But is it better than beating Sav. State? I would say yes.

From a booster/alumni point of view its a home run. Those of us in Atlanta will have a local game, and won't need to spent the night or 2 in the 'Boro and spend $400 to see the Eagles.

From a recruiting stand point its a win for both schools. Atlanta area recruits could see a good game and there is plenty of PR for both schools. Not to mention the press we all will receive.

Dr. Keel should realize the good will he'll create amongst the Atlanta alumni.

I personally would like to see us play GaState, wouldn't be a bad matchup, but for no reason should we have to go crazy to rearrange our schedule to accomodate them.

It makes more sense for us to play out the contracts we have in place right now .... if something changes then we know they have interest ... if it works out, fine.

But honestly, they are in year 2 and still are playing some very unattractive type of games, including playing at a D2 school. Understandable for a startup, but not sure we should encourage dealing with them straight up, and they would likely want a home-n-home at that.

Let a little time pass, and it will become evident if there is a real potential for a rivalry. Spurring 20+ people to froth at the mouth on a couple of blogs and messageboards isn't really evidence of that.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by greyfacemask View Post
    I agree the Eagles have little to gain by beating the Panthers from a football sense. But is it better than beating Sav. State? I would say yes.

From a booster/alumni point of view its a home run. Those of us in Atlanta will have a local game, and won't need to spent the night or 2 in the 'Boro and spend $400 to see the Eagles.

From a recruiting stand point its a win for both schools. Atlanta area recruits could see a good game and there is plenty of PR for both schools. Not to mention the press we all will receive.

Dr. Keel should realize the good will he'll create amongst the Atlanta alumni.
    I agree with this, but you don't rearrange a schedule that actually appears to be set in the short term, to accomodate an upstart.

Now, if App State bolts in a year and we have an ETSU-size hole staring us directly in the face, that is a different scenario. GSU2 would be a better opponent than doing a return home-n-home with South Dakota St.

Everyone, even the breathless gastate fans, seems to want to talk about recruiting as a factor, but I believe that is WAY overblown.

I think it is perfectly clear there are 100's of D1 caliber kids in Georgia. Plenty to go around. We're in serious trouble if we lose many head-to-head battles recruiting vs. gastate. It may happen on occasion, just as we may get someone they were after. It's bound to happen just on proximity alone.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

6. Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Georgia State in Football in AJC

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    I personally would like to see us play GaState, wouldn't be a bad matchup, but for no reason should we have to go crazy to rearrange our schedule to accomodate them.

It makes more sense for us to play out the contracts we have in place right now .... if something changes then we know they have interest ... if it works out, fine.

But honestly, they are in year 2 and still are playing some very unattractive type of games, including playing at a D2 school. Understandable for a startup, but not sure we should encourage dealing with them straight up, and they would likely want a home-n-home at that.

Let a little time pass, and it will become evident if there is a real potential for a rivalry. Spurring 20+ people to froth at the mouth on a couple of blogs and messageboards isn't really evidence of that.
    There will be no time to develop a rivalry. They will be the undisputed CAA champions by game 3 of the 2011 season and be a contender for the SEC championship in 2012, remember?

I certainly understand why Atlanta Alums would like for us to play them in Atlanta. Personally, I'm fine with us playing State as long as we have a place on the schedule and they come to Paulson.

Do we play in the dome or at Paulson?
    The poster formally known as:
    The Black Flag
    Seven Would Be Nice

Quote Originally Posted by panama View Post
    I suppose you guys expect us to draw 1000 a game and go 2 and 9 and slip quietly into the night

Quote Originally Posted by loyaleagle View Post
    I certainly understand why Atlanta Alums would like for us to play them in Atlanta. Personally, I'm fine with us playing State as long as we have a place on the schedule and they come to Paulson.
    BINGO. They need to come to Paulson. No need for us to kowtow to the Atlanta crowd. Once they are an established FCS program, we might discuss playing in the North GA sewer system. Otherwise they can come here. We've EARNED it. They haven't. It should be a privilege to play us in the 'boro and get yer azz whipped proper-like

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    BINGO. They need to come to Paulson. No need for us to kowtow to the Atlanta crowd. Once they are an established FCS program, we might discuss playing in the North GA sewer system. Otherwise they can come here. We've EARNED it. They haven't. It should be a privilege to play us in the 'boro and get yer azz whipped proper-like
    I completely agree. We have seniority, a proven record, and a solid established program.

Although I sure would like to hear "WHOSE HOUSE?" - "OUR HOUSE!" echo in the Dome as we stomp them into their rent-a-field.