TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: Were Our Expectations for This Season Unrealistic?

Question Were Our Expectations for This Season Unrealistic?

Personally I think any season where we do not make the playoffs is a failure. But, never in my darkest nightmares would I have dreamed we would lose all of our conference home games. Not this year or any year.

That said, given the new starters on offense, a less than great returning defense. What should we have expected?

What about next year?

I consider myself an optimist but I'm having a hard time painting a GSU Blue picture for '09.

I agree..I just made a post. Unless we have a really good recruiting class. It is going to be a long year next year

3. Default

I think coming so close to winning the SOCON last year skewed expectations. We were not a very good team last season either, especially on defense. We just happened to be carried by the best player in FCS.

4. Default

New QB. New OL. New defensive philosophy. Way too little depth.
    Honestly, I expected 7-4 or 6-5 at best. We're still another year away. We need to circle 2010 as the year we're a championship level caliber team again.
    I think a lot of folks underestimated just what it meant to have three head coaches in 13 months and three vastly different philosophies in 13 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Reuben Kincaid View Post
    New QB. New OL. New defensive philosophy. Way too little depth.
    Honestly, I expected 7-4 or 6-5 at best. We're still another year away. We need to circle 2010 as the year we're a championship level caliber team again.
    I think a lot of folks underestimated just what it meant to have three head coaches in 13 months and three vastly different philosophies in 13 months.
    2011. 2 more recruiting classes plus 1 year of coaching. Anything earlier, a "wish", at best, unless we've got that quarterback with the "talent" to put the ball on the money every time he throws it in our "passing offense".

Touchdowns win football games. Touchdowns are the results of execution.

6. Default

My general approach in life is to have no expectations. I've come to find that when one doesn't, they are seldom disappointed and frequently pleasantly surprised. I suppose that "no" expectations is a bit of a stretch, but I will say that my only expectations of the team is to play their best. There are times that I feel they didn't do that but I don't think the sky is falling.

I believe that most folks expectations were FAR too high. I feel that we got a double dose of why most college programs won't play a true freshman unless there is no other recourse. Kids that young with no experience on the team will develop and ego. They are, in effect, getting something for nothing. They didn't really have to "EARN" their place on the team, necessity handed it to them. Some are aware of the gift and make the best decisions they can, but in the end, they are at a SERIOUS disadvantage due to lack of repetition and lack of general understanding of the scheme.

Anyone expecting us to make it to the playoffs this year, while optimistic *myself included at the beginning of the season*, did not have realistic expectations. If we are hasty to judge our coaches and pressure to get them fired, we seriously run the risk of changing our label from "where tradition lives" to "where coaching careers come to die". I believe in Hatcher's philosophy just as much now as I did when he was hired, but it's based on long, long, LONG hours of training players, and I'm not just talking about 1 season of training either.

In short, this program is being rebuilt and like it or not, that process is not going to happen in 1 or 2 seasons. I feel that we're looking at 5-6 years or more before we can realistically expect to be a championship contender again but I have no real problems with that. I'm an Eagle, even if they fired Hatch tomorrow and brought back he who shall not be named...I'll still be an Eagle. I can't say I would remain reticent in such a situation, I would DEFINATELY make my dismay heard, just as I would if we were to make any more ridiculous, hasty decisions as to coaching before even giving them a chance to develop a career.

In closing, I find myself truly hoping that the voices heard most frequently on here are those of the vast minority. I really don't like to believe that my beloved Eagle Nation is populated primarily by knee-jerk reactionaries who lack the patience to let their program develop and EARN their return to the championship tradition. Only time will tell.

Patience my dear Eagle fans, patience.

GSUEoghan, I don't think 8-3 was too unrealistic of an expectation. Just think about this: if we had just made two fourth down defensive stops versus Elon and Appalachian State, we would right now be one win away from 8-3.

That's the thing about this team, though - if you live by the close games you also die by the close games. Without some big plays that we have made this year we could also be 1-9 right now (it would have taken an epic disaster for us to have lost to UTC). In other words, I think 8-3 was just as probable as 5-6. One should expect that when you have a very young team. I sure did. I can only speak for myself, but I don't think people are disappointed because we have only won 5 games. I was as optimistic as anyone up until after The Citadel game. I think people are more disappointed (as I am) that we don't seem to be any better than we were in September. In fact, we seem to be worse than we were then. We went from being the team that lost to the three likely SoCon playoff teams by a combined total of 4 points to the team that had to beat WCU and The Citadel in overtime. Maybe someone who knows more about college football can tell me otherwise, but I don't think wanting to be better in November than you were in September is being unrealistic.

Since my expectations for next season are ZIP/o?/the big bagel, I now have the patience to watch our "NEW" program to develop. I hope my expectation of beating my old school UALBANY, isnt to high in game 1 in 09??

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    GSUEoghan, I don't think 8-3 was too unrealistic of an expectation. Just think about this: if we had just made two fourth down defensive stops versus Elon and Appalachian State, we would right now be one win away from 8-3.

That's the thing about this team, though - if you live by the close games you also die by the close games. Without some big plays that we have made this year we could also be 1-9 right now (it would have taken an epic disaster for us to have lost to UTC). In other words, I think 8-3 was just as probable as 5-6. One should expect that when you have a very young team. I sure did. I can only speak for myself, but I don't think people are disappointed because we have only won 5 games. I was as optimistic as anyone up until after The Citadel game. I think people are more disappointed (as I am) that we don't seem to be any better than we were in September. In fact, we seem to be worse than we were then. We went from being the team that lost to the three likely SoCon playoff teams by a combined total of 4 points to the team that had to beat WCU and The Citadel in overtime. Maybe someone who knows more about college football can tell me otherwise, but I don't think wanting to be better in November than you were in September is being unrealistic.
    Ask UGA about being better. They returned almost ALL of their big playmakers and yet they seem to be playing worse than they were last year. Our situation is different. It stands to reason that a young team is an inconsistent team. They have the ability to do GREAT things but they lack the consistency to do them every play of every game. That, unfortunately, takes time and practice.