TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on game 8

Default Thoughts on game 8

I'm gonna have to do this one a little different since I didn't actually see the game. I can only go on what I heard on the radio and what somebody at the game told me. So here goes.

The good:

Lee Chapple.....The guy played his butt off today. Kudos to Lee for saving us today. He actually had a couple of teeth knocked our during the game. Tough tough play from him today.

Defense.....I don't want to hear anyone complain about the defense. They played great today. Western couldn't move the ball without the help of the refs today.

Dion Dubose.....Great to see a true freshman step in and play a whale of a ballgame. Makes me feel better since we are losing the best MLB in the conference next year that we have someone who can step in and make plays.

Dakota Walker.....Probably his best game as an Eagle. Good game guy.

Adam Urbano.....The guy is a ballplayer. He needs to touch the ball 15 times a game. He makes things happen. This guy is the best RB on the team now IMO no question.

The bad:

Our offensive line.....They were continually whipped up front all day long. Not much you can do at this point other than hope they get better for next year.

QB controversy.....I believe we once again have a QB controversy. I hate rotating QB's but whatever it takes to win, lets keep doing it.

The ugly:

Penalties.....I know we got hosed several times today. But this is an area of concern still. Several personal foul penalties today that could have been avoided.

My thoughts:

What can you say? The team never gave up. Theres a lot to be said for this group of players. Most teams would have packed it in today down 31-3 in the 4th on the road with everything going against them. But some how some way we FOUND A WAY to win. That makes me more proud than anything. The fact we played hard for 60 minutes and we didn't give up. These guys deserve our support because they are Eagles and while we are probably not going to the playoffs, these guys are still suiting it up and representing Georgia Southern in a way we are proud of. Kudos to Coach Hatcher for making the calls today. We have a lot to look forward to with him and this team. Just give it time guys. Thats probably the most overused line on the board but seriously, just give it time.

The most amazing comeback I've ever witnessed(listened to) in football, right up there with Frank Reich's Bills masterpiece.

We have some really good freshman. Those were the guys making plays all day. Dubose and Urbano both had amazing games. But, we really missed Watts and Russ's speed. We could not stretch the field today. Hopefully they both are back next week.

Good to see EJ Webb healthy. He is an awesome player.

Dakota was a beast today. Not sure where that has been this year, but we need more of it. Defense, as a whole, played great.

We need to learn a lesson from this, and never have to depend on 4th Quarter heroics again vs WCU.

I was told that both of Westerns corners were enormous and could run. Thats why we had trouble stretching the field.

Agreed on all points ChadWC
    Zeke Rozier also had a nice game.
    Ditto with EJ Webb. Webb may be the most underrated defensive player we have.

The greatest thing about the game is we got a win..."the tale of 3 qtr's and a 4th". Plus, these kids may not be a "great" football team, but they NEVER give up. They came out flat as a pancake, but they Never cashed it in. I listened to every play but I really thought they dug a hole that they could'nt get out of. It was a big win for Hatch too.

One of the things Zeke is doing in this "O" is blocking, heard his name called a number of times last few games for making some nice blocks.

I was there, and these are my thoughts.

First of all, WCU has a really bad team. Their offense, in particular, is worse than anything I've seen lately. Still, they played hard early, and inspired during the second and third quarters.

About us: we brought a small contingent of players, and we substituted hardly at all, especially in the second half. It was like an MLB spring training lineup in some ways.

The vibes were bad . . . something was up. We came out very flat, which was not surprising to me. We had some time to throw early, but we dropped a couple of passes and then commenced to spin our wheels, unable to sustain drives on the ground or make any plays through the air. The wind seemed to affect Henton's throws in the second quarter.

At some point, WCU got aggressive and started getting lots of pressure. Henton folded. We brought in Chapple. He folded. At halftime, we were in shock. It got no better in the third quarter. As a team, we had imploded.

Once we started coming back, WCU laid down. I guess eighteen straight conference losses has that effect. Chapple played well until going out with injury, and Henton redeemed himself.

We wound up running two trick plays in situations where we'd run them before. I can't believe that "Big Boy" made another appearance, or that we ran the fake reverse on the first play of OT again.

In some ways, this reminded me of the CSU game from last year, only that WCU was awful enough to let us win. We played short-handed and mostly uninspired. We did not deserve to win, and we played so poorly that just about the only thing I'm excited about is the new number in the W column.

The defense played very well, considering that we had Webb at about 75% dropping into coverage frequently and a 195 lb. nose tackle at times. Walker and the boys really went after them up front in the second half. I hope Beard is ok. Hats off to them for not letting WCU put us away.

Hats off to Chapple and Henton for shaking off the malaise of the first three + quarters and getting it done regardless of the combined six turnovers. Hats off to Raja for making play after play, despite playing at less than full strength. Hats off to the refs for enforcing b.s pass interference rules on that 4th and 20. That was about as weak a call as I've seen.

In short, I left feeling bad for the WCU fans and players rather than good about us. I can only imagine what would happen if GSU blew a 31-3 point lead at Paulson.

Stay tuned for some sort of explanation about our personnel situation.

8. Default WOW

I was there. WCU's fans were into the game bigtime. When we drove and drove and made stop after stop, you could tell that we "were in their heads". I've never personally witnessed a comeback like that. It was a beautiful thing. We now know that we will NEVER be out of a football game, as long as we never quit. I've heard it said before, but today I saw it with my own 2 eyes.
    If you can read this....thank a teacher. If you can read this in English....thank a soldier. GSU Football....1-A /BCS by 2015 !!!!!!!

Why in the world were we playing Tavares Williams at NT? His name was never mentioned on the radio broadcast.

We didn't put our full compliment of speed out there on offense. Watts and Russ didn't play, and if Barney played, it wasn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleskins View Post
    Why in the world were we playing Tavares Williams at NT? His name was never mentioned on the radio broadcast.

We didn't put our full compliment of speed out there on offense. Watts and Russ didn't play, and if Barney played, it wasn't much.
    Hes not a nose tackle but Tavaris Williams is a football player. He knows how to play the game. I know Tinsley got hurt during the game as well as Beard so depth was a serious issue.